Columbia, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted August 19, 2014
I read the review posted below on July 27, 2014 and wondered for a minute if I wrote it. That was exactly our experience and now we are now sending our child to private school for 7th & 8th grades despite living in Howard County with this "wonderful school system". In my opinion, the primary issue was a total lack of leadership. The principal was as unengaged as any I have come across. She did not attend school events, return phone calls, or get involved when issues came up. She has no business being in this role. With a strong leader, many of the issues at WLMS could be overcome. I'd be interested to see statistics on how many kids start at WLMS and leave for private school. I feel badly for the kids who do not have the option to leave.

Posted July 27, 2014
I would not advise sending your child to this school if you have any choice in the matter. It is a dangerous place where my son was bullied and nothing was done about it even after written complaints and a filed report. Part of the problem is about 40% of the student population, which is a rough, violent crowd that is not or cannot be controlled by the staff. The other problem is that most teachers have given up on the students. My son will be going to a private school after 7th grade so that he can catch up, recover, and be ready for high school. I never felt that my son was safe at WLMS. It was a very stressful environment for him.

Posted April 25, 2014
I like Wilde Lake Middle School I can't wait to go there yes I'm a 5th grader who is going to Wilde lake soon. Although You have to take 7 classes it's awesome. Wilde Lake Middle School is unique that's what I really like about it . Another school you may like is Running Brook Elementary School.

Posted February 21, 2014
Go to the test scores tab above and look at the 6th grade and 8th grade scores. You will see the trend of score decreasing as children matriculate through this school. This downward trend from start to finish says it all. The staff is too worried about controlling bad behavior and if your child is a minority, watch out ---he/she will automatically be "labelled" as a trouble-maker (demonstrating the lazy-minded mentality of the administration -- who ironically are minorities themselves). I had my son transferred (after fighting for 2-years) to Clarksville Middle School and have found the learning environment to be the polar opposite of WLMS. The byproduct of spending nearly 3-years at WLMS is that he is now FAR behind his peers at CMS (but at least we escaped Alcatraz). Glad that WLMS is now in my rear view mirror...don't make a mistake and fail to research this school (unfortunately like I did, relying solely on the reputation of Howard County). I may have to reclassify my son back to the 8th grade due to the academic "damage" done by having him in this horrible and "radioactive" learning environment.

Wilde Lake Middle School 4

Posted February 20, 2014
WLMS is an underrated school, particularly for kids who take lots of GT classes. Teachers are excellent and dedicated, on the whole. Sure, there are a lot of students in the school who get subsidized lunches, but it will certainly not hurt more privileged kids to meet classmates who were not as fortunate. We know of several parents who opted to pay for private school because they were afraid of the school's reputation for discipline problems. In our experience, that was a waste of money. WLMS provides a good education in a safe environment.

Wilde Lake Middle School 3

Posted June 04, 2012
I am a parent of a student that will be progressing to high school from WLMS this year. I love Wilde Lake. The teachers and administration really care about the children. There have been some social issues just like in other schools; however, they were all immediately addressed. My daughter did very well at this school, and the diversity is awesome. I see the Great School score is a 6 and this is based mainly on standarized testing. Now, that's another topic of discussion by many. My child, as well as her friends did quite well at this school and their test scores were above average. We are preparing for WLHS in the fall. I believe that WLMS gave her what she needed to be ready for high school and layed the foundation for college in 4 years. This school is not a bad choice. Raise your children at home, and stay involved with the administration and your child will do great at WLMS.

Posted July 26, 2011
My son is new to Wilde Lake and is on an IEP for a previous ADHD diagnosis and mood disorder. The Special Education staff are very involved and the teachers very supportive of his educational needs. We did not experience much bullying either which is a plus given the population they serve. I feel my son gets the help he needs and would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 05, 2011
The problem at WLMS is more the student population than the teachers and administrators. I have met many very dedicated and hard working teachers at this school. The principal and vice principal and guidance counselors are all doing their part to try to make the school a positive learning environment. Unfortunately, we do not feel that the school is a safe environment for our children. Our child was the victim of bullying at this school and was choked by a peer during a class activity. He has also witnessed violent attacks on other students and overheard a lot of language that made him feel uncomfortable. This papast year a girl was expelled for beating another girl with a belt- it was at least her 3rd attack on another child during the school year.

Posted December 11, 2009
I love WLMS my teachers are highlariouse they make me understand. WLMS also has super kids my friends all make easy to make 8th grade next year I enjoy wilde lake and I DON'T want to leave

Posted December 03, 2009
I have to be honest I went to the school when it was going through its rough times and I am now in the 8th grade with the new principal and I can say to anyone the it is a safe good and well put together school. Students including parents cannot decide that it is a bad school based on the actions in the past. We are working to exceed the low expectations that were set on the school by others. You now cannot not judge the school without seeing the steps we are taking to come out of the bad times and finally get the respect that the school now deserves.

Wilde Lake Middle School
10481 Cross Fox Ln, Columbia, MD  21044
Last modified Wilde Lake Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilde Lake Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top