Columbia, MD
Students enrolled: 1,300

Long Reach High School 4

Posted June 12, 2014
Have had 3 kids graduate through Long Reach. Just like every school there are issues but the administrative staff is always helpful.

Posted April 01, 2014
My kid goes to Long Reach and he loves it. We moved from Wilde lake and it is far better than Wilde Lake. The teachers seem to be very supportive and nice.

Long Reach High School 3

Posted March 23, 2014
My family and I are relocating to Maryland, I have read the comments from both parents and students. Since the students actually are the ones who experience the day to day issues at school, they know personally what is going on at school. Here is my dilemma, it is very important that my child gets a good education. The schools that my children have attended have been awesome and they had ZERO tolerance of kids being in gangs and the administrators are terrific. I do not want my child in a school district were the teachers are afraid of the students and the administrators set back and basically do nothing. I am sending my kid to learn and I SHOULD NOT have to be at working worrying about well being. I realize there is good and bad students at every school, but I am looking for a school that can handle there students and make me as a parent feel reassured that my child will learn and be safe. He is an A & B student. We are not use to chaos and mayhem in any schools any of our children attended.

Posted October 15, 2013
The Long Reach community is amazing. I don't know about other people but I like my school. There are a lot of good things about Long Reach High School. The diversity here is amazing, the athletics programming offers sports for every one, and the staff is awesome. Long Reach High School also offers computer science classes, which is not offered to lots of other high schools across the county. This prepares kids who are going to college that hope to become computer programmers, engineers, and other majors in the technical field. Along with being in one of the best educational counties in the nation, it is also very excepting and loving. -Aryan S.

Posted August 28, 2013
This school is amazing. Our children graduated in 2011 and 2012, were in AP classes and their teachers always cared for them and gave them all their support. It's a diverse school, many students come from different cultures and that enriches their development, appreciation and respect for others. We are grateful to this High School

Posted August 28, 2013
Although there has been many incidents, I believe that it is whether or not the student would follow them. if the student would, that is because their nature is easily changed. Along with that, there are many "good" or "nice" students I see, and also students would be pretty much to busy with schoolwork to be involved with the 'incidents'.

Posted May 31, 2013
My daughter recently graduated from LRHS and our entire experience through the four years was great. When the occasional problem arose, teachers and administration were very responsive. She was challenged in her classes and encouraged to push herself throughout, taking advanced courses and doing extra activities. She was involved in music, sports, and theatre. Long Reach is a diverse population, which more accurately represents the world around us and I think that will only benefit her throughout her life. The students are, overall, a great group of kids and many parents are involved in volunteer activities. My daughter and I were both very pleased with her experience and the education she received at Long Reach.

Posted November 08, 2011
Long Reach is a great school. It is a snapshot of the real world as it represents true diversity on all social and economic levels. The teachers are diverse in their style of teaching and the students seem to adapt to those styles accordingly. The school's academic approach, especially at the Honors and GT levels keep the students challenged and motivated. The various sports clubs, band, drama, and other extra curricula activities offer the students the mental release necessary to create balance and interest. The kids all get along regardless or race, economic status, and academic ability which is not true of all Howard County Public High Schools. My only needs improvement comment relates to us, the parents. This is our children's home away from home. As parents we must be supportive, visible, and vigilant at all times. Before there were teachers, administrators, or classmates, there were parents. Our children's first snapshot of the future is seen thru our eyes. Let's remember to keep our eye's shining and focused on them... And Go Lightning!!!

Posted December 15, 2010
Can I just say that the whole ghetto, guns, gang, and drug thing is a bunch of trash? All schools have these problems, Long reach is just up front about it. If your kid is a smart and goal oriented, you kid will do just wonderfully here. There are plenty of kids who want to succeed, its in the air (put them in honors classes). I went to school here and found it amazing. I have friends with excellent prospects. I known graduates who have gotten full rides, are going to Harvard, NYU, Julliard, and plenty of excellent public schools around the country. Howard County has a great academic program and most teachers are helpful and wonderful. The diversity also lead me to be exposed to different cultures, like an huge Indian graduation party. Don't believe all the rumors you hear, talk to someone in the school, who went to the school and who worked for the school first.

Long Reach High School 2

Posted December 08, 2010
Long Reach has recently gained a strong administrative staff. However, the teachers are unprofessional, the students are uncaring, and the guidance counselors are not helpful. Approximately 20% of the senior class is in trouble of failing.

Long Reach High School
6101 Old Dobbin Ln, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Long Reach High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Long Reach High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top