Sequoyah Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 402 students

Posted September 16, 2014

I am a parent of two children who recently attended Sequoyah ES. The school provides an absolutely welcoming environment. The school does a great job of creating and maintaining a positive learning environment. We were impressed by the professionalism of all of the teachers we worked with. The principal and staff were wonderful about meeting with me to develop solutions to meet the learning needs of my children. The PTA is well-organized and worked with parents and staff to provide information forums, as well as the fun events that create a sense of community. My children thrived there academically and have since enrolled at a highly gifted center. I truly miss our 'home' school.

Posted April 17, 2014

My child attends Sequoyah Elementary School. It's a wonderful school with fantastic staff. The parents are always welcomed and involved with the childs performance. My daughter loves her teachers and really enjoys learning. She is excited to go to school every day. She is excelling in all subjects - if she needs pushing in one area (including social skills), the teacher notifies me. I am extremely happy with our experiences with Sequoyah!

Posted April 3, 2014

My child is a current student at the school and has been for several years now. Not only the principal but the new vice principal counselors and teaching staff have left not only myself down but they have let down my child. My child has fallen behind and it has not been communicated by the staff to me the parent. Several requests for meetings as well as weekly communication was ignored. Several times throughout the year I have requested help in making sure my child got on grade level or close to it. The teachers have refused to allow my child to leave less that 30 minutes early without coming to the office to discuss a personal matter about my child. My child cries going to school daily and can not wait until she does not have to attend there anymore until then it is a daily battle with the staff. The school also prides themselves in being the best school handling the very large issue of bullying however my child has been bullied since she started there and nothing has been done to make sure that my child is safe secure and happy. I've been very disappointed in the school yet the county will not help me to move my child.

Posted September 4, 2013

My son is a Kindergarten student and has been attending Sequoya Elementary for the last week and a half. I have to say that I am very happy with the school. The principal, teachers, and staff care about their school and it looks that they are dedicated to helping every child succeed along with the PTA. Everyone has been doing an outstanding job and my son loves it. The principal is very professional and charming and open to help us with any concern that we have. Look forward to a great year.

Posted July 9, 2013

Hello.... My Name Is Allieu Kanu...My First Visit At This School Was Outstanding..... There Were Smiles All Over The Faces Of The Vice Principle And The School Secretary's Face... What A Great Experience.... My Stay Was Very Satisfactory And That Makes My Day...

Posted February 22, 2013

This school has a very diverse population, yet the staff have high expectations for learning and behavior for every student. Each team of teachers works hard to ensure the success of the students. The leadership team does a good job of soliciting and reflecting feedback to set and reflect on goals. I've been at this school for several years, and I can certainly testify to the dedication and compassion of the teachers here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 10, 2012

Great principal and good dedicated teachers make it a great place to learn. And committed and dedicated PTA is another plus.

Posted September 19, 2009

The principal is absolutely wonderful. She's very open to find the best solution to making sure your child loves school.

Posted September 16, 2009

Good dedicated teachers makes it a great place for the students to learn.

Posted September 15, 2009

We have a great staff, exceptional PTA, and outstanding students. With over 50% of students low income families in a fairly oppulent county, we have a great number of challenges. But we work together as a team to make Sequoyah a safe, challenging, fun, and interesting part of our community.

Posted September 15, 2009

The great principal, the great teachers, parent volunteers and of course - the kids!

Posted September 15, 2009

Sequoyah Elementary School is great school that reflects the diversity of the community and provides its student body with an excelent education.

Posted September 15, 2009

Sequoyah has the best staff and students! They genuinely care about the students individually and collectively. Dr. Jasper-Principal, you're great too!

Posted September 15, 2009

I love the dedicated staff and the great parent involvement with the PTA!

Posted September 15, 2009

This was a wonderful elemntary school. My 13 year old son went from kindergarten thru 5th grade. Now my grand-daughter has been for kindergarten and now 1st grade. Ms. McGuire is AMAZING!!

Posted September 15, 2009

I love Sequoyah Elementary School for doing what they do best, and that is making the children feel important and that they can achieve anything they put their minds to.

Posted November 12, 2007

I think the school is awesome! It is a very warm atmosphere for students/parents/teachers ... I feel included in everything and also feel that the entire staff at every level cares deeply about my children. Every effort has been made to give my 'special' child the specific needs that he has. A+ for sure!

Posted August 10, 2005

I was a teacher a sequoyah and stuck it out 1 year with Dr. J. The teachers are great and do the best with what they can. But, it is true Dr. Jasper has ruined the atmosphere of learning and teaching for the students and staff. Expect big changes in the staff every year if she remains at Sequoyah. A large turn over school reduces the success of each student. A school should be where parents feel welcome and she discourages parents to visit.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 19, 2005

I have had two children at Sequoyah for six years now. While Dr. Graham was there it was an inviting, warm, stimulating atmosphere were the kids and teachers were happy to be there and excited for each day. Unfortunately, when Dr. Jasper took over things changed drastically. After the first year of her leadership, fourteen staff members left. Before this had been a school with little turnover. This creates an atmosphere of tension, frustration and stifled creativity which filters down to the children. We still have great teachers and kids and a strong parent support system but I am afraid that the school will continue on the decline. We have already lost many strong teachers and children to private schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

17301 Bowie Mill Rd