This is a safe place to share your honest opinions of a school, whether good or bad.
South River High School5
Posted November 23, 2014
- a parent
South River High has a great academic record, test scores and in my opinion does more with less. What do I mean, the average per capita income of student family is low compared to Broadneck and Severna Park, but the scores coming out of this school are consistently close to those schools.
I went to this high school my 9th grade year. I am now a senior at Arundel High School, (South River's rival school). South River was okay, but at the same time, it could have been a lot better. This school has a lot of potential, but the students and school staff don't live up to it. A lot of the students skip school, etc. They are amazing smart kids, and I loved them, but they made bad decisions. At Arundel, the environment was better because all of the students engaged in classes and the students are challenged. The school also lacks good diversity and has mild racism.
This school is garbage. Being a student, there are many intimidating people, drug addicts, and fights. There are a few teachers more than familiar with drugs, and they don't listen to the students, and do not teach, only giving us the work to get through the curriculum. The class is 80 minutes long, most days we spend the entire time on one subject, nobody is willingly or seemingly capable of learning. Many even give the teachers a hard time, just for doing there job. The teachers aren't quite bad, there is just more to be wanted from them. They don't really go into individual needs, and get frustrated with the entire class being obnoxious, and opt to punish the class in an unsatisfactory way. Also, there is too much social interaction with the work. I like to work alone, and many teachers force you to interact with other students on a subject easily learned on your own. Homework is too much. We spend 80 minutes in a class, far too much to do the same exact thing many times over once we get home. This school is not one I support, want to be in, or care about being in. In fact, I am not in the yearbook for the 2014 senior class, nor do I want to be.
South River is a mediocre school at best: Teachers discourage parent involvement. Too many 'specialty' programs w/ overly ambitious, overtaxed teachers who have little specialized experience to handle the problems posed to teens doing radically advanced work; teachers most effective with tiered leave or get suck[er]ed into teaching advanced curricula. We have some smart students, but face it, we're in the boondocks. Students don't need a degree in genetic engineering by grad day. Too many advanced/STEM students feel their education is the same as standard aptitude-tiered classes, but with 3 times the pressure! They comment that classes are "useless" and have "no basis in reality." No focus on *excellence* in select magnet or specialty programs, or on ensuring students master SAT material. SR grooms 2% of students, telling the other 98% to "shut up about it." Worst, every other school in the US is moving toward full use of personal tech; SR advertises a 21st-century attitude to "ready students" for the technology-based world awaiting them, but then top-down discourages use of nearly all student-owned tech in the classrooms. Really?! The school is not yet ripe.
Great opportunties for college bound students in Math and Science. Involved parent communities. Caring and involved guidance department. Have kids there and know a lot of kids there. The sports program is a little too intense and win-centric which causes stress and injuries to student athletes. There is really a good amount of terrific and engaged teachers at this school. Have had experience with just a very few unengaged or "checked out" teachers - most that we've seen are good or very good.
Amazing STEM precalculus and calc teacher that has brain based activities everyday. I heard that she won Teacher of the Year from her last school system. My children just love her and have never felt so successful in previous math classes.
The school is very nice, for the most part. Most of the teachers are helpful and easy to learn from, and even make learning as fun as they can. Keeping in mind that it IS a high school and teens generally are what they are, I think this school's student body are wonderful. I do, however, notice quite often that the school has strict policies on things that don't really have a significant effect and does not stress enough the rules and consequences for other, more severe things; and as a generally well-behaved student, I can say that this does cause trouble sometimes.
As a student, I think that the school is, for the most part, a very good school. As most high schools do, South River has a diverse enough student body that you can find somewhere where you fit in. The teachers are, for the most part, very good, and there are very few incidents (ie, Fights). I enjoy my time at the school.