Deep Run Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 706 students

Posted June 16, 2013

I have 2 kids at Deep Run we are currently moving because we have out grew our house. It is very hard to get into this top of the line school, so if you are considering moving to this school you better do it fast. The teachers are wonderful and you will never want to leave the school. I will greatly miss Deep Run.

Posted March 14, 2013

DRES is a phenomenal school with a wonderful, dedicated staff and exceptional leadership from the Principal and Vice Principal. My oldest daughter began attending DRES in 4th grade and quickly acclimated to the higher standard of learning after coming from another county where the curriculum wasn't as challenging. Now my youngest daughter is in K5 and is learning 1st grade/2nd grade math & reading concepts and was placed in an accelerated math class and reads on a 2nd grade level. All students are given the skills to learn new and challenging concepts while being encouraged to do their best even if they haven't quite grasped the concepts being taught. Truly an environment that embodies the core meaning of "No Child Left Behind". Sadly, redistricting will move my youngest to another school next year---another excellent school, mind you---however, the connections that our family have made with the staff over the last 3 years will be missed.

Posted March 13, 2013

My daughter is a first grader at DRES, about half way through the year, and her entire class (yes every student) is being taught at a second grade level for both math and reading. Some reading comprehension and math problems are third and fourth grade level. Almost the entire class has risen to one full grade level ahead, and those that are struggling with above grade skills are getting additional attention from the teacher. Math is being taught the way the Japanese teach math; i.e. counting groups of things instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 on fingers. My daughter's teacher is the team leader for first grade, and all first grade teachers are adopting the methods because of the amazing results with her students. My daughter is very happy. She draws p[ictures for Mrs. K and takes them in as a gift for her on Mondays. I'm very happy!

Posted September 27, 2011

my child is going to this school since 3 years, and pretty happy with my child's performance. I really appreiciate the quality of the education provided by the teachers.

Posted August 30, 2010

This is my child's third year in Deep Run and I cannot complain.I have had the greatest experience so far.The teachers are good,the principal is very commimted and even thou ghI think that my child needs more academic challenge ,overall I am vey happy with the school.

Posted April 27, 2010

Our family loves Deep Run Elementary. This school is very involved with its students and families all year long. Currently enjoying our second child at Deep Run

Posted September 1, 2009

My daughter attends DRES. Last year the teachers were great but I had some problems with the way the adminstration handled things. I do however don't agree with the way the public schools in Howard County handle preschool. If you have a preschooler and make any money at all don't bother to put in an application for prek

Posted August 31, 2009

My son attended this school. There are some good teachers there. The principal is not friendly or approachable. Would not send any of my children to this school again.

Posted June 24, 2009

My son went to Deep Run four years ago, my daughter just finished 5th grade and my youngest is currently in preschool at Deep Run. The quailty of the teachers is unquestionable. The teachers at Deep Run not only teach but care for each child. They take the time to get know each child. I have witnessed this school change over the years to meet the needs of the students and their families. This school is really a community based school. Mrs. Hankin is one of the most supportive principles, she's not only supportive of her staff, but makes time for the parents and she is always focused on the child first. I would have my children at no other school. I know of no public school where the parents actualy have the choice to be involved, have a voice and be heard; except at Deep Run.

Posted April 18, 2009

My daughter started kindergarten this year at Deep Run and I have been nothing but impressed by the school. The staff is simply excellent. Each teacher brings a level of patience and enthusiasm to their students that I have not seen in other schools. There are many after-school events, much more than other elementary schools in the area. The kids of this school belong to a community of students, and that sense of belonging is extended to everyone in the Deep Run family. I am excited that my daughter attends this school.

Posted April 13, 2009

My daughter is in 4th grade and she just started at Deep Run this year. So far we really love the school. The 4th grade teachers are great. The many things they offer and do at the school are wonderful.

Posted October 27, 2008

This school well, I shall say some staff in this school and the administration do not seem focused on the child first, well that is if your child has high test scores. It seems the main priority here is to get good test scores and look good in others eyes (is what they think). There is more to a school then perfection and high test scores. Let's try caring, safety, love, concern, empathy, passion for learning, kindness; really shall I go on. It's sad, a great deal of Wonderful teachers, but not let to express what they really feel and know they should be doing; get to know my children first, as people, not a number...when do new administrators come along?

Posted November 27, 2007

My daughter is in the kindergarten program. I have been very pleased with DRES to date. The teachers and staff are extremely dedicated to the students and to parent involvement

Posted August 17, 2007

We are very new to Howard County Schools, we moved here in March 2007. I have to say I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. As we embark in a new year I expect to be dazzled even more. I hoping.

Posted May 2, 2007

I love DRES. My son is in the third grade there and my daughter will go to Kindergarten next year. Great teachers who are very supportive!

Posted January 16, 2007

All three of my children will have attended DRES and we love it. My oldest is now in middle school, my middle son is in 2nd grade and my yougest is taking speech through a county program.We are so pleased with all of the interactions that we have had here over the past seven years. Our new Principal is devoted to a healthy environment for learning of all types.

Posted February 27, 2006

We have had excellent teachers, lots of support from the principal and leadership here. . . really a lot of teachers that go above and beyond to help my children learn.

Posted February 22, 2005

I have had two boys go through DRES and my daughter is now in 2nd grade there. While its test scores may not compare to those of other elementary schools in the District, DRES is a fine school. The teachers are, for the most part, devoted and highly skilled. There is excellent parent involvement and many volunteers. I only wish that there were more extracurricular activities and after-school programs. Art, band, and music should be emphasized more. My son, now in 8th grade, had a reading disability and the teachers worked one-on-one with him; they set him on the right course and took his dyslexia seriously. He's now getting straight As in a GT-track and is well-above grade-level in both reading and math. Thumbs up to DRES for working with him early on and helping him make school a priority. My daughter could be more challenged but she enjoys school.

Posted January 13, 2005

My daughter went to this school for K-2.We absolutly loved it. She had lots of friends and the teachers were great. We have since moved and she is not having the same positive experience. This school was very involved with the children as well as there families. We could not have asked for a better school for our daughter to start her childhood acedemic year in. She loved going to school everyday and what parent can't appreciate that? I would recommend this school to anyone. We miss and can only hope to find one like it.

Posted May 23, 2004

I hate this school. They treated my son so poorly. They used to lock him in a room and denied him having any disabilities we have discovered now that he has adhd and pts and they spent more time trying to get him to do things he wasn't capable of doing then locking him in room instead of trying to find the problem so they could help him,they did more damage than good.If your child has special needs,I would not recommend this school.I now hometeach my son.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

90 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

91 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school

Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6925 Old Waterloo Rd