Children's Manor Montessori

Private | PK-4 | 326 students

Living in Ellicott City

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $351,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted September 22, 2013

My husband went to visit recently. He walked right in and had to go find the lady himself. Huge red flags to me. Administrator said side doors are not used but someone was trying to get in during the tour in one of the side doors and they clearly had done it before. Administrator uncomfortably let them in and said that they know him. School curriculum seems great but we both get very bad vibes from the administration. How does a complete stranger off the street walk right into a preschool these days?

Posted August 13, 2013

Before we went for our tour, we tried our best not to be biased but sadly as many reviewers here have said before, the staff is truly unfriendly. The front desk lady needs to be replaced, he was extremely cold and rude. My husband and I were on a tour and heard this teacher scream at the kids, it shocked the wits out of us. I don't think this 'strictness' of being mean to the kids is part of the Montessori philosophy. We decided not to pursue this school and joined another school last month where our child is at least learning in addition to smile and be happy. Something weird about this school....

Posted June 28, 2013

We had good experience with teaching staff, and their focus continued to be on educational development and learning activities. However the administration staff and communication of polices is not consistent, many of them are not clear about the basic policies and provide conflicting information. Our kid is completing the kindergarten program, at first administrative staff mentioned no notification is needed for the kids not planning to continue in the next school season, not registering will be taken as completion of the school year. When we told the school that we are not sure about the summer plans school administration asked us to fill the summer registration form along with the registration fee to reserve a seat and asked us to notify school before the start of the summer program. When we notified to CMMS about the not joining in the summer program, they are asking that the failure to pay the fee for three month will result in submitting the payment to collection agency. We were surprised to see this this behavior of the administrative staff, please be cautious of all their conflicting information and be ready for their non-cooperation on these matters.

Posted June 3, 2013

As others have mentioned, the administration, especially the Director does not believe assisting the parents. My child has improved somewhat, but only in the last couple of months after a year. Registered for summer school, but summer plans changed, and informed them that he would not be attending. Was told that we still had to pay for tuition for 2 months because of the 60 day advance withdrawal notice requirement. This was on the registration papers for the regular school year, but NOT on summer registration materials. Was informed by director that their program is for year round, and so the withdrawal requirement also applies to summer. So why not print it out on the summer registration documents, and why the need to register again for summer? I asked her to show me summer registration documents that als o had the withdrawal language, and she could not. I told her my child would not be attending summer school, and so we would not pay for tuition when he was not going. Director was very inflexible, and rudely told me that they would be sending me to collections for non-payment. And these type of poeple are supposed to educate your children?

Posted February 22, 2013

My child has gone to this school for over 2 years and later this year I will be sending my younger child to be a student here as well. I don't pretend to believe that this school is perfect for everyone, but what I can tell you is that they do a terrific job educating and working with the parents to try and accommodate request for teachers and classes. For the record, the Teachers are awesome. my child has had nothing but positive experiences and has grown leaps and bounds with regards to reading, writing, math, social skills and self confidence. The teachers, in my opinion, truly love their children and believe that they are making a difference by teaching through the Montessori methods. Highly recommend this school.

Posted January 19, 2012

One of the best decisions we have EVER made! I am a proud parent of a 1st grader at CMMS (our second year). This is by far the best Montessori program in the state. My child has been in the Montessori program since age 22 months and we have attended 2 other Montessori schools in Maryland. This school offers the perfect merger of a traditional Montessori program combined with vigorous teacher guided academics, advanced non-core curriculum (Yoga, music, computer class, Spanish etc.), and the social development that all parents hope for their child. My child is at least 2 grade levels above Howard County Public School students for comparable grade level and has scored in the 98th percentile for math and reading on state standardized exams. My advice make the sacrifice, invest in your child s future and give them a chance to LOVE school and learning. Get on queue for the wait-list TODAY! You won t regret it!

Posted November 11, 2011

Unless you cannot find any school that fit into your schedule or budget, otherwise DO NOT GO THERE. Fee might seems reasonable at first place, but there are some hidden fee you just don't know it. This place basically just a daycare. Is not worth to put your child into this school. The director there, she is mean, she seems knowledgeable, but you can't ask any question, because she will tell you " oh, I don't know anything about it, I have to ask such, such person...I don't run this place....." well, but you are the director for the center. .... bad experience. Goddard School at rockville is the best.... your children will be happy everyday.

Posted October 3, 2011

Thought Montessori would be a good school for kids but teachers here are not encouraging kids and has no patience to handle the kids as they feel stressed. It doesn't feel welcoming for kids in this school and I never recommend this school.

Posted September 21, 2011

Even though this is Montessori and offering up to 8th grade, this school is good only for Primary and Pre-K,. My child started at CMMS at 2 1/2 years age for Primary class. I was happy even for Pre-K there. Now My child is in Kindergarten. I drop my child before 9:00 AM, I see new teacher almost every single day. I don't know why the teachers change every day for before school program. My child was not happy to see different person everyday neither me. Some teachers are very mean( No smile in their faces ) they don't wish parents and they don't cheer up children as well. I complained at front desk and they didn't care about it. I hardly see the Director/Owner at the premises, there is no way to reach the Director at CMMS also. I don't believe the assistants at CMMS are certified for even entry level. They don't know even A,B,C's in terms of treating children. I will never recommend this school to any one for Kindergarten and above.

Posted May 29, 2011

everything looks good but i have not seen 'a' child or a teacher smile during my tour :) my two year old looks like the happiest kid compare to the kids i saw there. my daughter is indeed a very happy child but i am afraid she might change if she goes there

Posted April 19, 2011

My daughter will be starting this summer. We both are very excellent! We felt right at home with the tour we received along with answers to all of the questions that I asked. We will see, I have high hopes.

Posted April 5, 2011

Thank you so much for this school. My daughter is 2 grades above the rest of her classmates. She has loved being in this school. I would recommend coming here. She has emotionally and socially has done very well. The administration and the owner have been more than accommodating.

Posted January 27, 2011

Please request school report from the board of education before placing your child here please. I wish I did.Do not be fooled by just the way the sell the program. Academically this school does above avarage other montessori school but socially and emotionally they could care less about the children. They are very impatient and will blame the child for everything that goes wrong.

Posted January 26, 2011

My child wasn't progressing the way I hoped, so I express my concerns to the front office administration and they did everything to help my child excel. My child is on track and I am very happy with CMMS. I even like how they always follow up with my concerns!

Posted January 25, 2011

I am very happy with my sons progression, he has been here for nearly 6 months and I am amazed. The caring enviroment was been a wonderful help with adjusting. The adminstration has been very helpful with suggestions and ideas to make my child more comfortable in his new enviroment. Now he is quite happy, he doesnt want to come home some days.

Posted December 1, 2010

The staff is wonderful at CMMS. The front office is helpful and understanding, accommodates all my wants and needs. The teachers are attentive and caring. My daughter loves coming to school everyday and she learns so much! She is above her grade level! I would recommend Children's Manor to anyone who wants a good education wih a side of smiles!

Posted August 27, 2010

My children excelled at CMMS. The older one passed the Howard County early admissions test with flying colors. The younger one cant get enough of the school. The environment is very stimulating for active children. The teachers loved my children and i would feel very comfortable leaving them there for the full day program. We usually struggle to take them home from school as they love to be in CMMS. In contrast, i had my sons earlier enrolled in La Petite it was a forgetful experience for all. I would strongly recommend enrolling your child in this school and give them the opportunity to be brilliant and be lovingly taken care. One request to CMMS, bring Maria back on the front desk please!

Posted August 27, 2010

My son attended for one year after attending a montessori school in NYC. Childrens Manor was a disaster, as the owner decided to change the curriculum to reflect less of the montessori philosophy that I sought for my child. This change was made after I'd enrolled and paid for the year in full or I never would've left my child there. I walked into the school on several occasions to find the teacher screaming at the children. She had no control. The office staff was rude to say the least but I think that was largely in part to the fact that the owner was a first class jerk. PhD or not, he was condescending to the women. In the end I received a bill for additional workbooks that were never distributed or even necessary. Awful, and not run like a real montessori school at all.

Posted April 29, 2010

The teachers and curriculum are satisfactory. But the entire administrative staff have a very bad attitude. I have seen a lot of them come and go during the past four-five years of my association but it has gone from bad to worse. They have a very condescending attitude and explain away every problem brought to their notice with a shrug. But majority of the teachers are very caring. The student-teacher ratio these days is unacceptable. Parents should do something about it. There might be three teachers in a class but there is only one music teacher, one Spanish teacher that visit the class and other resources including the space will be spread thin if the number of students keeps going up. I am very concerned about the facility too. It is getting old and needs a lot of remodeling.

Posted April 7, 2010

The teachers and curriculum are very satisfactory. The administrative staff is less than excellent - they are unaccommodating and with a poor demeanor to boot. Their attitude almost suggests that the child and his/her parents are receiving a favor, rather than that they are the customers/clients of the school. But, as said before, the teachers appear to be well trained and are very caring; however, the student to teacher ratio is too high for pre-school and primary age children.

Asian 42% N/A
Two or more races 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4465 Montgomery Road