Ellicott City, MD

Children's Manor Montessori 4

Posted December 02, 2014
I have been a parent at Children's Manor Montessori school, and I have to say that most of these reviews do not represent the true CMMS. The teachers are wonderful, and really do care about each and every child that is in the classroom. I was constantly greeted every morning that I came in. The students were also greeted with warm a warm welcome, and other parents as well. It is a wonderfully positive environment for a child to come in to. There is a reason that there are so many children in one class. The reason is that there are 2 teachers in every classroom. There is a lead teacher and an assistant, and in fact if class sizes go above 27, there will be 3 teachers in the classroom. Another reason for the class sizes is, not every child will be in class everyday. This is why CMMS has part time and full time schedules. If you are looking for strict montessori, this school is not the perfect fit for you, that being because CMMS is a mix of modern, and traditional montessori. I believe that CMMS does a wonderful job mixing the two together. Administration at CMMS is questionable at times, however, mostly all of the time they come through with questions and concerns.

Children's Manor Montessori 3

Posted November 14, 2014
I am familiar with the preschool pgm in EC. The school is clean and safe. The teachers I have met are good and caring. My main issue with CMMS is the class sizes - they cram in as many children as possible. The "Montessori" mixed age approach is used I feel to get away with putting 2 year olds (where MD ratio is 1:6) into classrooms where the ratio is 1:9 (or I heard from other parents, sometimes more!). It feels like a childcare factory, which needless to say is not a great environment. I have struggled to get to know other parents due to turnover and class size. It is also not possible for the teachers to give the kids the 1-on-1 attention they deserve as such young ages; nor do the parents have an opportunity to learn much about what their child is doing every day since the teachers only have time at best to photocopy one daily note to hand out to the entire class. (Sometimes, there are no notes at all.) Overall, I feel the administration sees their goal as to bring in more money, rather than to educate young children. If they truly cared about building on the individual strengths of each child, there is no way they would allow so many children in one class.

Posted August 28, 2014
I don't even want to give this school a star but this website makes me. Management has no respect for the employees or the parents. They do the BARE MINIMUM and all of your money goes to the owner. Classroom supplies are broken, old, and non-existent. The teachers aren't all certified and don't know the first thing about teaching/handling kids. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN HERE.

Posted July 01, 2014
We unfortunately had a bad experience with CMMS for our 3 year old. Our child was kicked out due to behavior issues that manifested after attending. We worked with the school to try to curb behavior issues (which were not experienced at home) and then went outside the school to seek professional help. After jumping through all the hoops, nothing wrong could be identified with the child. However, we were told from observations in the classroom that class size has played a part in the behavior issues. CMMS does use Montessori method but they work in large classrooms and group lecture. This means that the class is NOT structured to provide individualized attention from faculty at this age bracket. We did try to work with CMMS in mitigating behavior issues but couldn t prevent the expulsion. It was terribly frustrating for us and our child, for weeks after, asked why she couldn t go back. If your child is not developmentally ready for sitting in large groups for long periods of time, then be warned that CMMS isn t suited for individual attention.

Posted September 22, 2013
My husband went to visit recently. He walked right in and had to go find the lady himself. Huge red flags to me. Administrator said side doors are not used but someone was trying to get in during the tour in one of the side doors and they clearly had done it before. Administrator uncomfortably let them in and said that they know him. School curriculum seems great but we both get very bad vibes from the administration. How does a complete stranger off the street walk right into a preschool these days?

Posted August 13, 2013
Before we went for our tour, we tried our best not to be biased but sadly as many reviewers here have said before, the staff is truly unfriendly. The front desk lady needs to be replaced, he was extremely cold and rude. My husband and I were on a tour and heard this teacher scream at the kids, it shocked the wits out of us. I don't think this 'strictness' of being mean to the kids is part of the Montessori philosophy. We decided not to pursue this school and joined another school last month where our child is at least learning in addition to smile and be happy. Something weird about this school....

Children's Manor Montessori 2

Posted June 28, 2013
We had good experience with teaching staff, and their focus continued to be on educational development and learning activities. However the administration staff and communication of polices is not consistent, many of them are not clear about the basic policies and provide conflicting information. Our kid is completing the kindergarten program, at first administrative staff mentioned no notification is needed for the kids not planning to continue in the next school season, not registering will be taken as completion of the school year. When we told the school that we are not sure about the summer plans school administration asked us to fill the summer registration form along with the registration fee to reserve a seat and asked us to notify school before the start of the summer program. When we notified to CMMS about the not joining in the summer program, they are asking that the failure to pay the fee for three month will result in submitting the payment to collection agency. We were surprised to see this this behavior of the administrative staff, please be cautious of all their conflicting information and be ready for their non-cooperation on these matters.

Posted June 03, 2013
As others have mentioned, the administration, especially the Director does not believe assisting the parents. My child has improved somewhat, but only in the last couple of months after a year. Registered for summer school, but summer plans changed, and informed them that he would not be attending. Was told that we still had to pay for tuition for 2 months because of the 60 day advance withdrawal notice requirement. This was on the registration papers for the regular school year, but NOT on summer registration materials. Was informed by director that their program is for year round, and so the withdrawal requirement also applies to summer. So why not print it out on the summer registration documents, and why the need to register again for summer? I asked her to show me summer registration documents that als o had the withdrawal language, and she could not. I told her my child would not be attending summer school, and so we would not pay for tuition when he was not going. Director was very inflexible, and rudely told me that they would be sending me to collections for non-payment. And these type of poeple are supposed to educate your children?

Children's Manor Montessori 5

Posted February 22, 2013
My child has gone to this school for over 2 years and later this year I will be sending my younger child to be a student here as well. I don't pretend to believe that this school is perfect for everyone, but what I can tell you is that they do a terrific job educating and working with the parents to try and accommodate request for teachers and classes. For the record, the Teachers are awesome. my child has had nothing but positive experiences and has grown leaps and bounds with regards to reading, writing, math, social skills and self confidence. The teachers, in my opinion, truly love their children and believe that they are making a difference by teaching through the Montessori methods. Highly recommend this school.

Children's Manor Montessori 5

Posted January 19, 2012
One of the best decisions we have EVER made! I am a proud parent of a 1st grader at CMMS (our second year). This is by far the best Montessori program in the state. My child has been in the Montessori program since age 22 months and we have attended 2 other Montessori schools in Maryland. This school offers the perfect merger of a traditional Montessori program combined with vigorous teacher guided academics, advanced non-core curriculum (Yoga, music, computer class, Spanish etc.), and the social development that all parents hope for their child. My child is at least 2 grade levels above Howard County Public School students for comparable grade level and has scored in the 98th percentile for math and reading on state standardized exams. My advice make the sacrifice, invest in your child s future and give them a chance to LOVE school and learning. Get on queue for the wait-list TODAY! You won t regret it!

Children's Manor Montessori
4465 Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD  21043
Last modified Children's Manor Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-4
Children's Manor Montessori Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top