Ellicott City, MD
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We understand the unsettling feeling some may experience during this time of change and growth. We are pleased to announce the appointment of our new Head of School, Ms. Tiffany Nichols. Ms. Nichols has served St. John s for nine years, including six as our Head of Lower School. She brings loyalty, skill and passion to her new position. Ms. Nichols has an open door policy and already has hosted two town hall meetings to provide a forum for concerns, questions, suggestions and feedback of all kinds. The changes we have made ensure the health and growth of our beloved school. We are proud to have hired several new teachers to join our existing team of talented and compassionate teachers. We are excited about our future and for the 2014-15 school year. If you are new to the St. John s community, we encourage you to come to campus and experience the spark of St. John s Parish Day School first-hand. Please visit our web site at www.stjohnspds.org to reach out to any of our administrative team members.
July 26, 2014

Posted November 04, 2014
We have two children who attend. Choosing St. John's was the best decision we ever could have made for our children and our family. The leadership and teaching staff are top notch. They all care deeply about the academic, personal, social and spiritual growth of the children. Time and time again, I have witnessed how decisions are made in a way that is carefully thought out, transparent, and in the best interest of the school as a whole. The best aspect of St. John's is the strong sense of community. It truly has become a "home away from home" and our kids LOVE it. We've had children in other private schools and this experience, by far, exceeds our previous experiences. Wish we had found St. John's sooner!

Posted October 30, 2014
My daughter just finished attending last year. She had a wonderful experience. The teachers and administrators are caring, considerate, and always helpful. This year, there is a new Head of School, and she has proven to be an incredible asset showing fantastic leadership and enthusiasm. The attention that our daughter got helped her immensely, and the curriculum is top notch. When making our choice of schools to send our daughter, we were most impressed with Saint John's, and would highly to recommend anyone who is searching for "just the right" school to include Saint John's Parish Day School. For our family, the cost was within our budget. Importantly, the value of what our daughter received while a student there FAR exceeded the tuition. Interestingly, we had heard how wonderful the school is from friends and colleagues. After we toured the school, we learned first hand that is was the place for us. I know there are concrete reasons, but in addition, there is a feeling you get there that is hard to explain. It is a positive, refreshing, spiritually uplifting place. I feel so very lucky that we chose it for our daughter.

Posted September 18, 2014
Two of my girls are at St. John's in the EC program. I couldn't have picked a better school to get them prepared for Kindergarten and beyond. Not only are they loved and nurtured every day, but they are left to grow as an individual, develop personalities, play and learn. The teachers, even at this young age, work individually with students to ensure that their growth is going at their own pace. My older daughter is interested in reading and I am sure that she will be before she starts Kindergarten. And, of course, there is play and learning from playing. It's a good balance of everything. Teachers communicate effectively and quickly and the administration is welcoming and open to suggestions (I stay away from all the admin drama). Very happy that my kids are getting such a great start before elementary school!

Posted September 16, 2014
A wonderful educational institution! St. John's is a friendly, safe and thoughtful school that did a terrific job of preparing my three children for the next steps of their education and life. Not only did SJPDS prepare them to excel academically, but it taught them how to be a good citizen and what it means to be a member of a larger community. Although my children have now moved on to other schools, from what I currently know this school is alive and vibrant; with caring and talented faculty and administrators.

St. Johns Parish Day School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
I've spent the summer trying to forget the mistakes our Board made in June 2014, but as the new year approaches I am sad to face the inevitable. Bound by a contract, I am sending my child back to a school I no longer believe in. In a recent email from the new Board President, a church member whose children did not attend the lower school, he writes: "All of us affect the reputation of our school, so let's talk the talk AND walk the walk." Okay then, I love this school and believe we can save it. Give us an experienced, dynamic leader. Put the interests of the school above those of the Rector. The decision (after contracts were binding) to promote the current LS Director to Headmaster was a mistake. Other more experienced, qualified candidates were passed over to promote someone who is not qualified and has proven over the past 4 years she is not ready for this job. The Board promoted her with the intention of hiring a mentor to help her learn the job. I want my tuition $$ spent on the education of my child, not the headmaster. We need a qualified leader to turn this school around and stop the loss of great teachers & families. So yes, let's walk the walk and fix our school.

St. Johns Parish Day School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
This school is not what it used to be. There has been tremendous staff turnover, and in the 10 years I have been with this school, three headmasters. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the poor choices of the Board and Rector. They only worry about money and not providing a quality education given the recent changes after you are locked into a binding contract (recent Headmaster choice; combining two specials class into one). This school is in dire need of a very experienced leader to turn the situation around; something the current Headmaster lacks. Significantly more qualified candidates were passed over to go with a "safe" choice and, sadly, history is getting ready to repeat itself! Enrollment is down as a direct result of this and, I am fearful, will continue to fall. Sadly, the only way to make the Board and Rector realize their error is to speak with your money. I, along with other families, will be moving to another school. So sad given it could have been prevented!

Posted August 01, 2014
Our son started at St. John's when we moved to the area and he was just starting Kindergarten. He was a little nervous on visit day but by the time he stepped foot onto the playground he made friends and felt right at home. From the postcard he got from his teacher over the summer, the jitter glitter he got the first face-to-face meeting and the enthusiasm on the first day of school he was comfortable and in a space ready to learn. His class tested so well in math that they skipped Kindergarten math and started with first grade math because his teacher had the freedom to do that one of the many benefits of a private school. His first year was a whirlwind full of exciting experiences, challenging school work and lasting memories. He shakes adults hands and looks them in the eye when he meets new people and makes friends easily because of the confidence he now has. He can't wait to start first grade! We are so pleased with St. John's and look forward to more great years here.

St. Johns Parish Day School 4

Posted July 31, 2014
We would like to thank the faculty and staff at St. John's for the tremendous educational, social, and spiritual experiences both our children have had at St. John's. The time, patience, and caring the staff have shown both of our children is beyond compare. They have left an indelible mark on our family. Our children would not be who they are or where they are without St. John's.

St. Johns Parish Day School 2

Posted July 08, 2014
I just have two words...THE TITANIC! The board and administration continues to make decisions that are not in the best interest of the school as it relates to leadership.

St. Johns Parish Day School 2

Posted July 03, 2014
Both of my children attended St. John's and I like the teachers there very much. At least I did. Unfortunately the school has gone downhill ALOT recently. The Headmaster who seemed to be doing a pretty good job and was well liked simply disappeared this year with no explanation from administrators or the board and everything started to change. Rumors of problems between the board and the church flew around and parents started to get nervous that something bad was going on behind scenes with the senior pastor getting power hungry. Now we hear that lots of teachers, lots of the best, are leaving the school cause they don't like whats going on with the senior pastor. Things are just falling appart. One of the first grade teachers and both of the second grade teachers left the school and so one of my kids will have a new teacher with no contact with the school and no support from anybody who knows the grade. The director of the Lower School is friendly, not the best especially with lots of new teachers. With teachers leaving and no good head and families leaving too, I'm thinking of taking my kids out. Its too much money not to know whats going on and losing so many good teachers.

St. Johns Parish Day School
9130 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified St. Johns Parish Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
St. Johns Parish Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 68 reviews. Top