School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for all the great reviews! We are honored to serve the families of St. John's. St. John's is a very special place made up by a community of teachers, parents, extended family, parishioners and more all dedicated to fostering the spark in every child. The best way to get to know us is to visit our beautiful campus. Attend one of our open houses, many events or call to schedule a private tour. All are welcome!
January 22, 2015

Posted April 23, 2015
This is my 7th year as a St. John's parent and I cannot be happier with how things are going this year. I had doubts with the leadership change but this year has been great. Both of my kids are happy, well adjusted, confident and love to go to school every day. They are academically challenged and I constantly compare the curriculum to that of Howard County and it is far beyond what Howard County offers. The class sizes are small, the teachers and faculty know the students and their families, work hard and are allowed to think outside of the box. I love when I get to school at pickup time and see a science class outside because it's a beautiful day or a class taking a walk to stretch, enjoy the outside and have a snack. This is truly a special environment and community. Parents here are so close and have become the center of my social life! Kids play on the playground after school while parents chat and get to know each other. The environment is quite special and I am SO very happy that I found this school and that my kids have been able to attend. They have a fantastic foundation to build upon from their time spent at St. John's. I couldn't be more pleased.

Posted March 13, 2015
I am writing to express my satisfaction with St. John's. Our whole family is so pleased with St John's. We decided to move our son to St. Johns this year. While he is new to school, he has been embraced like he has been there since the beginning of his elementary years. We find the environment very nurturing and academically challenging. The class size allows for creativity as well as appropriate observation and intervention as needed. It is very clear the teacher and staff feel very supported. This translates into a love for the school and the children. How refreshing! In addition, we have found the leadership energized and responsive. St. John's is an absolute right fit for our son and our family. Our only regret is that we did not find St. John's sooner. If you are considering schools or a change in schools, I urge you to visit. You will be so impressed.

Posted March 12, 2015
This was our first year at St. John's. We choose St. John's because of the small class sizes and the flexible curriculum (if students are really interested in a topic, the teacher can adjust plans to accommodate interesting discussions). We were happy to find that there is a specialist who focuses on science instruction (which is often lacking at the elementary grades). We were a little alarmed when my child's assigned teacher was changed late in the summer but we couldn't be happier with the new teacher that was hired. She gives frequent and detailed feedback about our child and has created a wonderful classroom environment. The school sponsors numerous events throughout the year that support learning as well as community building (STEAM night, Trunk or Treat, etc.). We would definitely recommend St. John's Parish Day School.

Posted February 04, 2015
We have had our two sons at St. Johns for the last 7 years and our oldest son is about to graduate this year from 5th grade. While being through change in leadership and changes in staff as you may have in any organization, I have never been disappointed. My sons are such well-rounded, confident children who love going to school and learning, EVERY DAY! Is that not what we want for our children? If they love school, they will be engaged and learn more. We have top-notch teachers who are focused on adjusting to the ever-evolving world we live in without ever losing sight of community, family, faith, and providing a loving environment and a top notch education. I feel that every dime we spend is well-spent for the excellence at St. John's Parish Day School.

Posted February 03, 2015
Our family has 14 years of personal evidence that St. John Parish Day School works wonders for all kinds of kids. There really isn't a substitute for this place. Our second daughter graduates this year and our first is a senior at Centennial High School. If you are looking for the academic rigor to prepare you for the Howard County school system, the pedigree to join a private institution or a nurturing place to develop skills in a loving environment you can have it here. I can only invite you to join us in chapel, in the classroom, or in the halls to experience the calm,spiritual difference. Fortunately, when 5th grade is over we can dive into the youth program at St Johns Church which remains a gold standard and guiding spiritual light for everyone. Finally, we recognize the changes to the institution have been notable but refuse to waiver. St Johns is where our hearts are and our minds develop. Period.

Posted January 31, 2015
Finding St. John s Parish Day School has been a blessing to our family. Not only did we find the perfect school for our daughter, we also found the most loving and supportive community in the area. The entire staff at St John s is friendly and caring and they have gone out of their way to get to know our daughter and support our family. The staff collaborates to create an integrated curriculum in a nurturing environment while making sure that the students rise to their full potential. We are fortunate to know many alumni and current students at St. John s and we have seen first hand the impact the school has made on students with their academics as well as spiritual and personal growth. A testimony to this is to see how many of the alumni come back to the school to offer assistance in the classrooms as well as around the school. We can t imagine sending our daughter to any other school and we are fortunate to be able to offer her such a fabulous experience. We were searching for a combination of excellent academics in a caring and nurturing environment, and that is what we have found!

St. Johns Parish Day School

Posted January 22, 2015
- a school leader

St. Johns Parish Day School 1

Posted January 14, 2015
I wish I could give a higher grade to the school but I can't. Decisions are shaky and leadership is weak. A full 1/3 of the lower school staff is new this year and it shows in the lower standards and less kids. The Board is run by church people who don't have kids at the school and that shows too. The rector, new head of school, and new head of the board have hurt the school. It is not what it used to be for my other child. My child's teacher cares but care is not enough at a private school with high tuition. Plus the board is only half the size it should be cause nobody wants to drive a sinking ship.

Posted November 04, 2014
We have two children who attend. Choosing St. John's was the best decision we ever could have made for our children and our family. The leadership and teaching staff are top notch. They all care deeply about the academic, personal, social and spiritual growth of the children. Time and time again, I have witnessed how decisions are made in a way that is carefully thought out, transparent, and in the best interest of the school as a whole. The best aspect of St. John's is the strong sense of community. It truly has become a "home away from home" and our kids LOVE it. We've had children in other private schools and this experience, by far, exceeds our previous experiences. Wish we had found St. John's sooner!

Posted October 30, 2014
My daughter just finished attending last year. She had a wonderful experience. The teachers and administrators are caring, considerate, and always helpful. This year, there is a new Head of School, and she has proven to be an incredible asset showing fantastic leadership and enthusiasm. The attention that our daughter got helped her immensely, and the curriculum is top notch. When making our choice of schools to send our daughter, we were most impressed with Saint John's, and would highly to recommend anyone who is searching for "just the right" school to include Saint John's Parish Day School. For our family, the cost was within our budget. Importantly, the value of what our daughter received while a student there FAR exceeded the tuition. Interestingly, we had heard how wonderful the school is from friends and colleagues. After we toured the school, we learned first hand that is was the place for us. I know there are concrete reasons, but in addition, there is a feeling you get there that is hard to explain. It is a positive, refreshing, spiritually uplifting place. I feel so very lucky that we chose it for our daughter.

St. Johns Parish Day School
9130 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified St. Johns Parish Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
St. Johns Parish Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top