Bellows Spring Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 19, 2013

My daughter has attended BSES for 3 years. Even when overcrowded, the school was well managed operationally - highly organized. I have attended lunches and been present for arrival/dismissal and am impressed by the how well the logistics of such a big school are handled. All of the teachers we have interacted with have been highly qualified and extremely committed. I appreciated the former principal for making tough decisions and standing by them when they are in the best interest of the students.

Posted July 10, 2013

The teachers and staff at this school really care about the students. They work very hard to ensure they work with each child at their level. The administration is organized and effective in taking the right course of action when necessary. The school heavily encourages parent involvement and has many programs or activities throughout the school year to promote this initiative. My child has made great progress this school year. I am very pleased with this academic year.

Posted May 30, 2013

This school has been stellar since my children arrived there two years ago (even with overcrowding!). Now with redistricting, my kids are moving to another school next year, so Bellows overcrowding issues will mitigated. My children are already sad they are leaving. The teachers keep my children challenged, encourage them to do their Bellows Best, and have been great with communicating with me about my children's progress. The counseling team is great. My son, who sometimes needs an extra push to get things done, has been mentored by the counseling staff on ways to improve his attention to stay on task, and he's improving. My kids have never had any issues with teachers playing favorites or being treated unfairly. My kids have had no issues with bullying (which is much different from their previous school!), and even typical kid arguments and shoving matches are dealt with care and common sense. The library and the computer lab are large for an elementary school, and kids are given ample time to use them. They have just an average level of after school activities, and they tend to be expensive. Parent involvement is slightly above average

Posted May 29, 2013

BSES is an average quality school -- overall environment is positive with a lot of extra-curricular activities. Kids seem to have good time. The school is crowded though and there are some teachers that rather be doing something else...

Posted January 16, 2013

GREAT SCHOOL!!! We are a military family constantly moving around and are due to move this summer after being here for two years. I have two little boys who get excited about going to school and love their teachers. They are learning sooo much and the teachers are patient and dedicated. I've done my research to our next duty station and I hate that the schools are a downgrade! I almost want to stay here! Great Community, Parent involvement and School. I highly recommend this school and would rate it a 10!

Posted January 30, 2012

I really love this school and I do volunteer and visited at lunch time. I found it was organized however, my only complaint was that my daughter who is a kindergartener needed help opening something and it was difficult to get the helper's attention. My solution was to make everything as easy as possible for her and that has generally solved the problem. I think the core curriculum is a little confusing, but I feel as if my 5 year old is being challenged enough. My 8 year old who is in the 3rd grade has an excellent teacher. I think all of the teachers work very hard and are very competent . As parents, we are the primary ones responsible for our child's education. The school has all of the tools to help the children succeed. We have to do our part. I rate this school a 10, it is competitive and addresses all students needs.

Posted January 29, 2012

I totally disagree with "Average is More Like it". I absolutely love this school, the staff and the program as a whole. Our son is in the 5th grade and has attended Bellows since Kindergarten. We have stayed in this school district for so many reasons and so thankful that we have stayed here. Our sons math teacher is awesome and caring and stays in touch with any challenges or accomplishments he has had. The communication is wonderful and the communication has to be both ways. As a parent, if you are concerned about something, just ask the teacher

Posted January 28, 2012

Average is more like it. The playground/play equipment is almost non-existant. The principal is hostile. They have unwaivering policies. Lunch is like a circus and the kids really don't know what is expected of them. The teachers are not very skilled, although they have a good time together. If your child has any issues, even minor - you are on your own. There are too many kids here and if your is unlucky - they will have a disjointed schedule and a classroom that is sparsely supplied.

Posted May 4, 2011

Bellows Spring elementary is a great school, with an excellent principal and exceptional teachers and support staff. My daughter went to this school for 3 years, and she had great teachers every year. We had to move out of the area, however we (and especially our daughter) still miss this school. I rate this school as a 10.

Posted April 19, 2011

I have 2 grandchildren that attend Bellows Springs and love to visit for their programs and events. From the moment you walk in the door, the atmosphere lets you know that this is a nurturing place where children are valued. I love the student body's diversity and the way it is embraced and appreciated. Music and art are such a valued part of the curriculum, and I love to see the artwork on display in the hallways. What a great place to grow and learn.

Posted October 14, 2010

I have 4 children at Bellows, including one with special needs. Bellows is a diverse and inclusive school. Wonderful administration and staff.

Posted May 11, 2010

This is outstanding school. Teachers , Principal and office staff are great and extremely helpful. I have 2 kids attending this elementary school and I would say Academic standards are one of the best in Howard county. Superb PTA. I have never seen so much activities in any other school. I will give 5 stars to this school.

Posted September 16, 2009

Great teachers and staff. So much enthusiasm, mixed with top-notch teaching curriculum. Great programs such as Watch DOGS, International Night, Field Day, Green Day, Abrakadoodle art, and more.

Posted February 16, 2009

The teachers are great and the community is very supportive. During my daughters short but pleasant time at BSES the teachers have been such a delight to be around and interact. It seems as though BSES got all of the teachers that are genuinely interested in the profession. The Keep up the great work BSES staff and teachers!!!

Posted November 7, 2008

I am extremely happy with my daughter's performance at BSES. Her progress for the past 2 months in her 1st grade has been amazing!

Posted July 27, 2008

Bellows Spring is the best! The teachers take a true interest in each and every student. They use a team approach to find the best way to allow for every child to succeed. The communication between home and school is great. I can not say enough about Bellows!

Posted May 12, 2008

Great school! Staff is dedicated and communication between home and school is great. It is too bad they don't qualify for a breakfast program.

Posted March 25, 2008

Excellent school! Teachers are great! Administration is great! The school is a bit too big, but overall, this school is a the best of the best.

Posted March 23, 2008

My son started at BSES this year and I have been very disappointed with the school overall. My son's teacher is really nice and gives my son appropriate discipline as well as respect. However, I do not see the overall involvement that his prior school showed. My son has behavioral problems and the administration doesn't seem to know what to do and they don't get very involved, or so it seems. I am surprised that breakfast isn't offered, the school doesn't call if children don't show up for school, and none of the staff seem to be able to spell my son's name correctly even though his name is simple and he's been in the school for almost 3 quarters now. I'm glad we are changing schools.

Posted November 21, 2007

My children and I really love this school so much. Everybody in the school is just like a family. Mrs. Heinz is the best ESOL teacher who I've ever known. PTA is wide open to every parents and very friendly. The school has strict discipline; at the same time, it is very tolerable to multiculture. Every staff members are setting a great example for the future school.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 20% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8125 Old Stockbridge Dr