Ellicott City, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted November 11, 2014
wonderful teachers and a very strong PTA .The teachers and every single staff is very involved in a student's overall development, emotionally, physically and mentally. glad and very thankful that we are a part of this wonderful family

Posted June 20, 2013
We specifically moved to Howard County for the schools and we are thankful to be part of the Manor Woods community. The majority of the teachers we have had have been great and the principal is amazing. Our children have enjoyed MWES (and we have yet another child starting kindergarten in the fall) and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There are many opportunities here and we have generally found the office staff to be helpful and friendly. There are multiple PE teachers, art teachers, and music teachers (not to mention Gifted & Talented & Technology) as opposed to where we moved from, where they only had part-time teachers for "special" classes like PE and music. One of our children was a victim of bullying his 4th grade year and his teacher and the principal were on top of it - because of their swift and consistent attention and action, my son is now a confident, unharmed, popular boy who even was able to get to friendly terms with the bully. Had his teacher, guidance counselor (who is fantastic!), and principal not been attentive or concerned, I would not have the thriving, unscathed boy that I do. Overall, I would say MWES is a great school.

Posted June 19, 2013
Moving into the area but very hesitant to sign a lease because of the reviews on this school. Is this a school to stay away from? Please help.

Posted March 07, 2013
I feel like I should rate this school twice- once for families who have kids who are "meant for school" and once for parents who have kids who aren't perfect little students. I have three children who have attended MWES. Two of them are the "perfect little student" type and they did well. They learn well, respond to instruction well.. in other words, they would have done well just about anywhere. They had a few exceptional teachers, many good ones, and a few duds. They've gone on to do well in other schools. My last child is not a child who naturally loves school. Don't get me wrong- he loves learning. He may well be the brightest and most curious of all my kids. But sitting still, passively, doing busy work etc is not his thing. I found that many teachers don't know how to handle this. While disconcerting, I could work with that. When I approached the administration about matching him with teachers who would best meet his needs, I was disregarded. In fact, the opposite was done. They felt that since he wasn't failing (Thank God!) that he needed no special consideration, regardless of what I know as his parent. The past two years he has survived but not thrived. What a shame.

Manor Woods Elementary School 1

Posted October 13, 2011
My daughter went here. She said it was horrible! There are no doors in the classrooms so she couldn't concentrate. And her homeroom teacher was just so mean! She put my daughter in the below average math class but she was advanced! And she was really mean. I know this because I met her. My daughter only went here for a week because she just couldn't take it anymore.

Posted August 24, 2011
CHANGE is coming..YEAH! I was just reading about the Core Curriculum & Race to the Top- not that I'm an advocate for the entirety of it- however to bring the instruction up to date & a little more current at MWES will be great! My children have brought home many copied worksheets they had done at school w/the date on the bottom (some OVER 15 years old)!!! I wonder how much of these worksheets were just busy work too. Now, lets address the student behavior a little more proactively and I'll be even happier. Don't understand why MWES is not a PBIS school?!...they could use it! Being proactive and less reactive would be a plus- previous school my children were at was a very nice school, similar to MWES & PBIS was used there. SO?! Finally, $$ shouldn't buy favors, & status at this school- but it seems too. I could easily join that bandwagon, but choose not too- admin & teachers time to address this situation head on, really!! Stop the elaborate gift giving, favors in moving students around, etc. IT is going on. Okay, ending on some positives- some really GREAT caring teachers there...some not...love the extras the school has- well rounded there. A warm, fun, kind place to learn.

Posted April 08, 2011
I am not sure how anyone is complaining about teachers talking on cell phones during instruction...because it is nearly impossible to get a signal without going outside. My bigger concern is that what if there is an emergency where the phone lines are down in the building.

Manor Woods Elementary School 4

Posted February 01, 2011
We loved Manor Woods. The staff are committed and G/T teachers are excellent. The over all environment of the school is healthy. However, last year they had a new 5th grade teacher and our son was unfortunate to be in her class. She is every negative and unprofessional. She clearly show favors in class and not a bit tactful about it. Though my son was very academic and well-behaved, she consistently battered him about other issues through out the year. Not until we happened to talk to other parents from her previous school had we realized that she was the problem. Our child is doing fantastic in middle school now. We feel bad for Manor Woods that a teacher like her did a lot of damage to the school's reputation.

Manor Woods Elementary School 0

Posted September 21, 2010
The principal and staff of the school are organised and this rubs off on the students. It's a very conducive environment to learn

Posted May 13, 2010
We have been extremely pleased with Manor Woods Elementary. Mr. Wiesner is a very involved and visible principal. The administration and teachers care about their students and provide top quality instruction.

Manor Woods Elementary School
11575 Frederick Rd, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified Manor Woods Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manor Woods Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top