Centennial High School 1

Posted June 21, 2014
Very difficulty to relax at my school. The pressure to be perfect, the pressure to have the best clothes, and be involved in sports, academics, AP classes is unbearable. I know theyre trying to prepare us for school, but I hated waking up every day in High School when I went here. The teachers don't hesitate to put you on the spot and make you feel stupid, if you don't know the answer. They hide this when the review people watch them teach. I cant say enough about how horrible my high school was. I don't know if I'll go to college right away. I may travel this summer and get a job and see. I want to get far away from my pushy parents. All I want is to be happy.

Posted September 18, 2013
This is an amazingly competitive and diverse school. The curricula is rigorous and challenging. Also, the people are very competitive. But what I noticed immediately, is that there is no teasing, no bullying, no hatred, no violence. It was all such a shock to me when I first moved here as an African American from the South. No more racial or homophobic slurs thrown at me everyday. No more teasing because of what I love. The amount of acceptance and caring can bring me to tears any day.

Posted September 10, 2013
Centennial students are achievement-oriented, and their families place a high value on education. The average student there would be a top student in many other schools. The teachers push the students to be their best, but not in a high-pressure way. I consistently hear from former graduates that college was a breeze because of the preparation they received at Centennial. Both my kids love the school.

Posted April 13, 2013
I have moved around a lot and all the schools in the other counties in MD are just different compared to Howard County. Centennial is the most diverse high school in Ho. Co., which I'm pretty sure is the most diverse county in MD. Anyways, CHS was the only school where i did NOT experience racism and bullying (I am a minority.) CHS also has the highest AP class enrollment and is very academically competitive. I have friends who are taking seven AP credits per year. I had to actually drop out of AP math because I could not keep up with the curriculum, since I had Cross Country, Track and NAHS. Compared to other schools in Ho Co. and other county schools, there WILL be more school work involved, but from all my college friends I've heard from, they're having a relaxed time because it's so much more "chill" in college than it was at CHS. (The one thing I can't get over is that a 2390 is considered an "average" score.) You can view it as a good or bad thing, but CHS really will prepare you for college and get more out of you than other MD schools, you just have to know your limits. :)

Posted October 19, 2012
There are a more percentage of white students than asian students attending centennial high school.

Centennial High School 2

Posted February 24, 2012
Being a student there, I can prove that the elitist attitude is there. That isn't the biggest problem, though; the worst, by far, are the number of people with mental disorders of various kinds that stem from the academic pressure. A lot of the times, the students put much more pressure on themselves than anyone else, and this ranges into a variety of mental disorders. The numbers of children with eating disorders is frightening, and people who self-harm or have attempted even suicide are even more alarming. The teachers, though, are pretty good generally, and present challenging yet balanced coursework. All in all, it's the atmosphere that is causing the most issues.

Centennial High School 1

Posted September 07, 2011
NOT impressed. As a parent of two Centennial graduates, the school is VERY overrated. The students are snobs with an 'entitlement attitude'. Test scores aren't everything.

Centennial High School 4

Posted April 04, 2010

Centennial High School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Centennial is one of the best schools in the state. We also have more extra-curriculars than most other schools!

Posted September 16, 2009
Centennial High School in Ellicott City, Maryland has an educational foundation that challenges and brings out the best in students.

Centennial High School
4300 Centennial Ln, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified Centennial High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Centennial High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.