Ellicott City, MD
Students enrolled: 1,434

Centennial High School 1

Posted August 15, 2015
I graduated from Centennial in 2009 and I would NEVER send my children here. People get so caught up on the good test scores that they ignore all the other horrible things. Teachers are elitist and snobby. Enormous bullying and clique issue. If you're not filthy rich don't expect to be treated well. Parents and teachers put so much pressure on getting perfect scores, getting into the perfect college, getting perfect grades that none of the students were happy, In fact everyone was stressed constantly. 0 school spirit or morale our senior pep rally fell silent multiple times because nobody liked eachother or the school. Our principal continually added new and ridiculous restrictions on the school for no apparent reason. AVOID at all costs. I'd much rather have gone to high school with lower testing scores and grades and a more welcome community.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 05, 2015
Front office doesn't care at all. Kevin Dorsey is probably the worst front office administrator I have ever seen.

Centennial High School 3

Posted August 05, 2015
Centennial is pretty overrated. It isn't the powerhouse school it used to be, and now with some of it's math and physics teachers retiring, this school is going to have a significant drop off. Lastly, the front office administration is pretty horrible. Don't spend all the extra money for real estate in order to go to centennial because right now, it simply is not worth it. A lot of the past reviews say good things about Centennial, and I agree with most of those reviews. However, Centennial has been going on a downward slump for years now, and Riverhill, Marriots Ridge, and Atholton are probably better alternatives right now.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 05, 2015
If Siegert and Eisenstein didn't just retire, I would have given higher rating. I don't see how Centennial will be able to replace them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 05, 2015
Good amount of homework to get you prepared for college, assuming you are taking AP/GT courses.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 05, 2015
Because Centennial is so competitive, you basically have to be persistent or else you'll end up at the bottom.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted August 05, 2015
This school doesn't really do much to help the students respect each other. Lucky for Centennial, most of the students attending the school are already pretty good students, so they naturally respect each other most of the time.

Centennial High School 2

Posted May 08, 2015
It does not have ad-quite staff diversity and awareness. The lack of training and understanding of cultural differences is not there. The lack of diversity in students and teacher radio is outrageous. For an area that is so close to Columbia and Baltimore. Students are bullied not only by other students also how teachers and staff administration views incidences when they are disciplining students with other cultural backgrounds. The consequences and views are looked upon differently based on race and culture. The teachers should be held accountable for their behavior and what percentage of students are passing their class and how the information is transmitted to students of better understanding. The Administration excepts teachers excuses. Yet, students are stress out because of the school goals.

Centennial High School 1

Posted June 21, 2014
Very difficulty to relax at my school. The pressure to be perfect, the pressure to have the best clothes, and be involved in sports, academics, AP classes is unbearable. I know theyre trying to prepare us for school, but I hated waking up every day in High School when I went here. The teachers don't hesitate to put you on the spot and make you feel stupid, if you don't know the answer. They hide this when the review people watch them teach. I cant say enough about how horrible my high school was. I don't know if I'll go to college right away. I may travel this summer and get a job and see. I want to get far away from my pushy parents. All I want is to be happy.

Centennial High School 5

Posted September 18, 2013
This is an amazingly competitive and diverse school. The curricula is rigorous and challenging. Also, the people are very competitive. But what I noticed immediately, is that there is no teasing, no bullying, no hatred, no violence. It was all such a shock to me when I first moved here as an African American from the South. No more racial or homophobic slurs thrown at me everyday. No more teasing because of what I love. The amount of acceptance and caring can bring me to tears any day.

4300 Centennial Ln, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified Centennial High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Centennial High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top