Ellicott City, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted October 01, 2014
In response to the previous reviewer: okay, school probably should have contacted you to verify alternate dismissal plan. But I personally think it is parents' responsibility for sending a note every time there is a deviation from the norm, just to be on the safe side. I always do this unless the homeroom teacher specifically tells me otherwise. There are so many kids with so much going at the school, it is hard for a teacher (or anyone for that matter) to remember everything about every child every day. Need to tell them any change of plan CLEARY, each time. On a separate note, this school runs its back-to-school-night differently from some other schools in the district. It is all serious business! During the most recent event, they taught us parents how to properly praise our children and backed it up with science. There was no party atmosphere, no loud music, no crazy dance moves. You may call it a military camp, I call it a high performing school.

Northfield Elementary School 3

Posted April 15, 2014
The school is indeed run like a military camp. I actually believe it's more like a prison. I went to this elementary school as a child and I am so disappointed in my experience here thus far. My son was sent home on the bus when he was supposed to be staying for an after-school activity that we had previously signed him up for. We sent in a permission slip and everything. The day of, because we didn't send in ANOTHER note indicating he was staying after school that day he was sent home on the bus even though he cried and insisted he was supposed to stay. They put my son's life in danger, there was no one to meet him at the bus stop! Luckily he came back to the house with a neighbor and only after the school bus had left did the front office call me asking why he wasn't at the after-school program (!?!). I was disgusted and annoyed and his teacher handled the whole situation SO poorly. I will be happy to get my son out of this school.

Posted April 02, 2014
Does anyone know how many kindergarten teachers there are and how students are assigned to a teacher? My daughter will be starting in August and I would love some insight. Also, is there an individualized assessment done prior to kindergarten? if so, when does that happen?

Northfield Elementary School 2

Posted December 24, 2013
My son is in first grade, and is a very intelligent and well-behaved child. This school is run like a military camp. Parental involvement is restricted. There is a short daily recess and almost no physical activity for the kids -- that's just not how young boys are wired. He experiences complete regimentation from the moment he gets there until he leaves. There are strict rules for every activity, including which grade levels can use the playground equipment, prohibition against talking to children at other tables at lunch time, etc. I'm all for strong discipline, but these are young children, not drones. We will be moving him to another school as fast as we can.

Posted April 29, 2012
Dr. Straw is an outstanding leader! Her vision, as principal, is clear and always student motivated. She sets the bar extremely high, and leads an excellent staff to what is best for all students.

Posted March 20, 2012
Both my sons go to this school. They absolutely have not spoke English? they were speak Russian. There were no teachers who speak Russian and children had many trouble in communication and understanding. But every day my sons brought some materials and letters from teachers that helped as to teach them at home additional. The principal invited as to school 6 times during firs year and explain as what we have to do for improving in studying process. As a result, both my sons have 95%-100% in English and Math tests. I like this school!

Posted December 23, 2011
Dr. Straw, the Principal, has been a breath of fresh air. Any principal can have a vision and manage a school filled with every day learners; but, it takes a special principal to think broad enough and out side the box to include in the vision an idea for different learners, gifted and talented or in need of additional help. Dr. Straw is that principal. Under her leadership the teachers are taking the challenge to do more for all the students. The teachers remain highly committed and dedicated. The parent involvement is very high at this school. All around this school is tops.

Posted November 22, 2011
My daughter will be leaving Northfield at the end of the year, because we are moving to Texas, but we have had a wonderful experience there for Kindergarten and 1st grade. I have nothing to compare it to, but all of our experiences have been very good. Dr. Straw does have a business mind set, but this is because she only wants the best for her students and expects the best for her teachers. Any interactions my daughter or I have had with Dr. Straw and any of the staff at Northfield has always been the best and very pleasurable. When my daughter needed a little extra help paying attention in class the teacher have been more than accommodating and have worked with me on techniques that I can use at home to help her. The PTA and parents at Northfield have also been very good and has made our experience at Northfield feel like a family. I can't say enough good things about the school and highly reccomend it to anyone.

Northfield Elementary School 3

Posted June 16, 2011
Northfield is an OK school, it used to be great. Dr. Straw, the principal tends to rule with an Iron fist, and has taken most of the fun activities out of the school. If your child gets in trouble, she will hold it against her for the rest of your child's career at Northfield. Most of the children feel that their recess is too short, and they are not allowed to play the games they want. It is bad enough that with the construction, the playground was reduced to only half the blacktop, but to then limit the recess time and only allow certain games is not fair to the little growing bodies that need to let loose at recess. I would love to have written a rose colored review of Northfield, but the truth is my kids have been miserable there.

Northfield Elementary School 0

Posted December 05, 2009
Love everything about this school, especially the teachers. Very active parents. Nice community.

Northfield Elementary School
9125 Northfield Rd, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified Northfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top