Ellicott City, MD
Before care: Yes

St. Johns Lane Elementary School 4

Posted February 04, 2014
The school appears safe and the kids appear to be learning. If you can make it past the unwelcoming front office and principal who is more like a warden for a maximum security prison you may get to see some great teachers. But it seems much of this school is being run by ladies who may be burnt out with their jobs and are just counting down til retirement. We are a military family and have had the pleasure of being involved with many schools over the years, and this one is the least impressive from a leadership standpoint. If the vice principal ultimately takes over, I am hopeful some necessary changes will occur. The parental involvement is great and the community feel of the school thrives on despite the negativity of the administration.

St. Johns Lane Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
Despite the lack of Administrative involvement, SJLES continues to be a great school, thanks to the Teaching staff and the volume of parental involvement. The Administration is poor at best. Paper pushing absentee leadership who only show their faces when Politically advantageous. If you like hollow lip service this is the administration for you.

Posted December 14, 2011
Excellent academic program and caring teachers. A complete approach to education. Environment promotes critical thinking.

Posted May 08, 2010
This is a very nice school. my kids feel safe and happy always at that school. I recommend it.

Posted April 29, 2009
My two sons are students at St. John's Lane. We arrived to this school from another county this school year. I am very pleased with their progress and the dedication of their teachers, all the teachers. The PTA is very active, with a lot of volunteers, the office staff is always so friendly and helpful, and I particularly like the way my children's teachers have encouraged my kids to strive for their best.

Posted February 05, 2009

Posted April 24, 2008
My daughter, who is now in middle school, attended St. John's Lane, and my son is currently is 2nd grade. I have always enjoyed this school and staff. It has particularly improved since the redistricting this past year. The school is evenly diverse and we have a strong parental community and PTA. In fact, the PTA has just been granted the PTA Unit Achievement Award by the National PTA for 2007-08! I am very proud to be a part of the St. John's Lane community. J. Ross, Parent and Local Business Owner.

St. Johns Lane Elementary School 0

Posted February 15, 2008
My son is in 4th grade and has just transferred to this school because of a district boundary change. We love it here. My son has flourished and loves going to school every day. The ethnic mix has changed greatly due to the opening of a new school, and we are very pleased with the staff, the teachers, and especially the extra activities offered. My son is in the advanced math class, and the teacher is excellent. There are many extra activities including MESA (Mat, Engineering, and Science Advnetures), Robots, Art, Spanish, and many more. The music teacher is also excellent. My son plays the cello and was in the chorus. The parent community is very strong, which reflects the surrounding community. Most of the kids will go on to middle school together, then on to HS as well. It's nice that they will be together.

St. Johns Lane Elementary School 3

Posted June 04, 2007
St. John's Lane has to be one of the most racially diverse (balanced) schools in Maryland. staff is very friendly and helpful. although there doesn't seem to be a lot of parent involvement, the PTA arranges nice events. My child had problems with bullying and although the school claims they are anti-bullying, I was not pleased with the way bully issues were addressed. Problems on the bus weren't taken seriously by administrators. Also, if your kid is academically advanced in grade k don't expect them to be challenged here. My child was bored beyond tolerance with the the redundant worksheets and creativity-suppressing assignments, he learned and internalized very little . The school doesn't seem to offer much to academically advanced kids until they reach the higher grades. child wasn't encouraged to express ideas/opinions on thought provoking topics. Is it true that you can only find at private schools?

Posted March 20, 2007
Our daughters love this school! There are so many great teachers who give them lots of personal attention and support. I'm amazed at how much they've learned. St. John's Lane is a great school!

St. Johns Lane Elementary School
2960 Saint Johns Ln, Ellicott City, MD  21042
Last modified St. Johns Lane Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
St. Johns Lane Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top