Ellicott City, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted November 01, 2014
Having been at Worthington for many years, I have seen this school transform from a small, caring school filled with experienced and engaged teachers to a completely different entity that I barely recognize anymore. I agree completely with the assessment of the entire first grade team - horrible teachers who seem bent on destroying childrens' love of learning in the name of academic "rigor." They stonewall parents and treat the children poorly. the remaining grades have a few good teachers, but most are average at best. Our new principal is a joy, but she is so kind that I fear she lacks the ability to rein in problem teachers. while there are still a few good teachers left, most of the teachers do the bare minimum and parents compensate by getting tutors or spending large amounts of time working with their children at home. So sad to see this school decline, but I have to agree that the test scores are high because of the socio economic status of the neighborhood and the educational level of the parents, not the quality of teaching.

Posted August 21, 2014
I also agree with the Sep2013 rating. I also wanted to add that the first grade teachers lack the qualifications. Not sure about the others yet. They try to drive to be disciplinary, rather than educative (if that's a word). They need to make the classes more exciting for the kids. Since they are not the kids are disruptive and then the teachers complain. Good teachers will do that, others will complain about those disruptive kids,These guys follow the later. One of the parents I know, whose kid was not attentive got the following answer from the first grade lead "We can't really focus on your child only when we have over 20 in class" . Really!!!!!!!!!! My heart sank as a parent. To wrap up, the principal needs to start taking action. The school is need of a lot of turnover for its teachers. Then get them back to focus on the kids and not their inconveniences. Change the first grade team leader, strong leadership will follow below. She has no ideas, believe me. As for the principal, its now or never. If you don't act in 2014, you will fail for the kids you represent. Look them in their eyes and let them have the chance they deserve.Give them a great School.

Posted August 21, 2014
I think the school is great. Are there a few teachers that should retire? Of course! But the majority are bright and really go the extra mile to make sure that all the kids are engaged. If you would rather attend Veterans down the street, than you really are clueless.

Posted August 20, 2014
Still trying to keep an open mind, but I agree with the September 2013 rating. Teachers are overrated in affluent areas and underrated in poor areas. My experience with a first grade teacher last year was horrible. When challenged, she hid information about my daughter's math work and rigidly defended stupid common core math dogma. Furthermore, I think she held animosity towards my daughter as a result of our parent teacher conference. On the other hand, I really liked my daughter's kindergarten teacher(Saunderson) and I'm hoping for the best in second grade.

Posted February 20, 2014
I cannot agree with the September 29, 2013 post more. This school is just terrible. The teachers lack innovation in the classroom, there is minimal engagement with students, and absolutely no enthusiasm. I would venture to say the teachers are lazy and entrenched. As noted in the earlier post, the ratings are a function of the highly educated and relatively affluent attending neighborhood. High academic ratings occur in spite of the school- not because of it. My advice for those considering the neighborhood, move a mile west and go to Veterans.

Posted September 29, 2013
An awful school. Don't be fooled by the academic ratings. That is due to the neighborhood demographics, all single family homes, educated 2 parent households. The administrators from the past few years ran this school into the ground. New principal this year and I am hoping for a dramatic change! Teachers intimidate parents and withhold information about your child. A few teachers were terrific but I truly wonder why they are still there. Teachers never show up for after school activities, seem like they run from the building at the end of the day. Minimum age to work there has got to be 50+. And very few innovative teaching techniques are used. It's back to the Stone Age for this school. PE teacher is the worst!

Posted November 01, 2010
Great school great Math program...Love the teachers, individual attention, PTA is active and School teachers are willing to work with you. My kid LOVED the school, Worth the move from another county !

Worthington Elementary School 2

Posted September 08, 2010
The teachers are average and the principal is not a strong leader. The academics are average for the school system. THe school is built on a landfill, but not disclosed.

Posted May 14, 2010
We moved here from another state with my son entering 5th grade. The school is adequate despite the nearby grounds being a landfill. Whose bright idea was it to build a school on a landfill? The outdoor playing area is subpar. My son's 5th grade teacher is nice and he seems to like her; however, the other 2 5th grade teachers are less then desirable. One in particular has a demeaning way of interacting with the students and should retire. Not impressed with this elementary school.

Posted October 08, 2009
This is one of the few 'small' elementary schools in Howard county with enrollment at 460 students (Sept. 09). The principal and assistant principal are very visable and really make an effort to engage parents as well as the students by welcoming them each morning in front of the school. The school atmosphere is very neighborly (as is the surrounding community). Parents are encouraged to volunteer in nearly every area of the learning environment - and parental involvement is high and welcoming.

Worthington Elementary School
4570 Roundhill Rd, Ellicott City, MD  21043
Last modified Worthington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Worthington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top