Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I will admit that I had some strong reservations about sending my son to Suitland High, due to all of the negative attention that has been floating through the media, but it had a wide a variety of tempting programs available to the students...and I decided to take a chance. Although my son has yet to finish his freshman year, I can say that this has been a wonderful first year for him. He has maintained a high GPA, joined the debate team, participated in R.O.T.C., and has run track all 3 seasons. My son has experienced some form of success in every single club and academic area. Some of his teachers offer tutorial services when he struggles. He has supervised study hall immediately after school until track practice begins, unless he has another club to attend. He has college prep courses and assistance embedded into his regular academic day. Also, if my son ever decides to play his viola again, they have a very strong orchestra program too. I could go on and on, but the biggest and best part of my Suitland experience is the fact that my son looks forward to going to school. Like every high school, there are some downsides... I wish more families/students would take part in the opportunities that Suitland has to offer. The school, or any school for that matter, can only be a strong as the families that support and invest in them. Thank you Suitland High School

Suitland High School is one of the best schools in PGCPS. We have the most programs of any school in the county. Our programs are top notch and provide great opportunities for the students. Something they can't find anywhere else. Yes, we have a reputation for fights but that was the old Suitland. Since Mr. Newman, our current principal, joined us: Fights have dropped dramatically, test scores are on the rise, and more students are succeeding in their academic careers.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers care about the students' success in school and beyond. Classes are mid-sized and students are able to get the personal attention and instruction the need.

I would love for the website to be updated. I am looking for current information and the website is for the 2012-2013 school year. Some of the links are outdated and some of the staff listed is no longer at the school.

Suitland HS is a very good school, my only concerns are the safety for the students. The lack of communication between the administration and parents needs to change immediately!

Suitland high school's performance is based on "Leadership" from the top down and the Leadership is POOR; it's not the kids!!!!; the top administrators allow/accept poor performance from unqualified-uneducated teachers and place the blame on the kids. The school needs to be investigated.

The school is a great school especially the International Baccalaureate (IB). Both of my son's are in this program and my oldest is applying to colleges and numerous University, which are willing for him to apply with reducing all entrance fees. He's doing well with a 3.79 grade point average, he enjoys school and he is a swimmer on the swim team. He's learning and taking advance courses, (math, chemistry, Spanish and English) more than he would in a non- IB school.

I am a current parent of a freshman who is in the IB Programme, a cheerleader and maintains a 4.0. She comes from Mitchellville Maryland and I must say I LOVE SUITLAND. Despite all the NEGATIVE things that were told to me I sent her anyway based on my own research and her Middle School Counselors advice and that a new principal was coming in that would make a difference and turn things around. My daughter has met wonderful friends and teachers and so have I. Even though the drive is a little far it is worth sending my child to Suitland. The principal, teachers and administrators respond to emails and phone calls and that says a lot. I look forward to a GREAT 4 years at SUITLAND. If you are dedicated to your child and your child is dedicated to school you will get a successful student.

I am a current parent of a High School senior, enrolled in the IB program at Suitland High School. I just had one daughter - class of 2011 - who graduated from the IB program, not only with her high school diploma and IB diploma but with high honors. I also have a sophomore in the IB program at Suitland. I truly believe in not only the IB program and what it can do for our children but also in the ability of the coordinator and teachers at Suitland. I believe that our kids can make it no matter where the go but they have to apply themselves and set high goals for themselves. We need to give honor where it is due and Suitland is a great school to be a part of. Parents - you need to get more involved and be a part of a truly great learning experience for our children. We CAN make this school one of the best in PG County and the State of Maryland. So let's go out there for SY2011-2012 and show our new principla that we are different and can make a difference for our children. Let's show the teachers and administrators that they have our support. Let's get more involved. Let's set high standards for all children. We can do it!

Reduce the number of students accepted in the Performing Arts Programs, Focus on students who live within the community, Office staff/Administrators training on office/communication skills, teachers take time with our students and clean up the school inside/out.

Last modified Suitland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.