Fort Meade, MD

Pershing Hill Elementary 5

Posted July 11, 2014
We are a military family and our oldest daughter attended here from 1st through 3rd grade. She had fantastic teachers and most of the staff is great. The only poor choice was the principal, however the vice-principal was FANTASTIC. The students are held accountable and the parents that volunteer at the school are also good. There are plenty of parents at this school that bring down the atmosphere and want to complain when their child is at fault. As a parent volunteer, I have seen that many times. This is a fantastic school and Ft Meade is lucky to have it on post.

Pershing Hill Elementary 2

Posted June 16, 2014
The only reason my child has continued at this school as long as they did is because of the great teacher and instrument program. However, my child will now be home schooled. The students are constantly yelled at. The lunchroom feels like a prison and often the kids are punished for it being too loud when it actually isn't. Poor staffing choices, a lack of communication, failure to do what was promised, and no self-accountability.

Posted May 14, 2014
We just transferred to this school. The staff and students have been unhelpful and rude to my daughter. She has complained about the lack of discipline in the classroom and that certain students can do whatever they want. Being new she still doesn't know all the rules (she's been there 5 days) and was made to sit on the stage by herself and eat her lunch in front of all the other 5th graders because she didn't see the talking light turn red. To top it off her teacher told another student to sit their a$$ down yesterday. My normally happy go lucky daughter has come home crying almost everyday. This is NOT her first time being at a new school but this is the first time she has had a problem. I would have thought being a base school would have made this transition easier for her but that has not been the case.

Pershing Hill Elementary 3

Posted January 18, 2014
My sister and I went here as kids, and the school was ok. There was ALOT of bullying for me. And I don't remember if teachers noticed. I went here from '03-'05. The classes were good, and the teachers were friendly, but really, the students (who are now out of high school) who were in my classes were jerks. So really, my rating isn't really about the education or staff, more along the lines of students.

Posted August 11, 2013
It is funny how the comments about the quality of special education at Pershing Hill keeps getting deleted.

Posted August 11, 2013
Worst experience at a school, EVER. My child was placed in her class by the secretary. Not based on her knowledge or past achievements, but by which class has the least amount of students. The teacher had never experienced military life before and knew nothing about his students. My daughter is an advanced learner. Before he even got to know my daughter the teacher told us that she wouldn't be able to be involved in the advanced learners program. There was no classroom management and the rules of the class changed every day. Children were breaking pencils and slamming their desks around the room. When this was brought to the administrations attention they said they would take care of it. After some time passed and nothing was done to correct the deficiencies it was brought to their attention again, and again nothing was done about it. My daughter was taught more about the teacher's fraternity than the history of the state of Maryland, or the United States. We will be homeschooling, and then moving out of this horrid school district. Don't believe the hype of "best schools in the nation" that is standardized testing scores, not quality of teachers or education.

Pershing Hill Elementary 5

Posted July 13, 2013
This is not the correct naming of the school. Pershing Hill and Meade Heights are two completely different schools. The address here is for Meade Heights not Pershing Hill. We loved Pershing Hill! We had a first grader and had no issues.

Pershing Hill Elementary 3

Posted June 16, 2013
Upon attending this school, many parents have decided to warn me about the staff there. I want to make sure you give the school a chance before making any decisions, the staff is very committed to the students and for their success. I believe many parents do not trust the teachers to do their jobs which can cause many problems. My child did not have an issue and had a great year.

Posted June 15, 2013
My child attended first grade at this school in 2011-2012. I homeschooled my son and when I registered him the principal didn't even look at my sons portfolio to place him in the most appropriate class. She placed him by his age. She said that after 30 days they would test him and they never did! My son had a horrible year. He would cry at night and in the morning about how bad his teacher was. He even had melt downs and crying in class. My son has ADD ADHD and mild autism and his teacher did not work well with this. We switched to South Shore Elementary this school year and my son has had a wonderful year!

Posted January 12, 2013
The special education department of Pershing Hill was over worked and under staffed. The administration was not willing to be proactive to resolve issues and instead tried to pass blame for shortcomings on to the teachers. The principal was not the least bit understanding of the needs of the special needs child and had zero interest in helping achieve the goals of the student. The principal actually sat in the IEP meeting and worked on her computer instead of being an active participant. The staff is over worked and try the best the can for their students but sadly administration is more concerned with meetings than the actual military child.

Pershing Hill Elementary
7600 29th Division Road, Fort Meade, MD  20755
Last modified Pershing Hill Elementary is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pershing Hill Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top