MacArthur Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1194 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 8, 2013

The administration leaves a lot to be desired. MacArthur Middle School administrators are not competent enough to handle midddle school children or any children for that matter. Complaints and concerns fall upon deaf ears even as you go up the chain of command. Bullying is a serious issue at MacArthur, it is not a safe place for children.

Posted March 11, 2013

I am a 2012MacArthur parent, PTSA Co-Chairperson, & cafeteria staff. MacArthur has a bad rep due to an old admin that didn't hold up the standard. But, the new principal & v.p.'s, and SEVERAL new teachers are upholding the educational standard that we all want and our students need, including new policies & training. The IB program offers challenging curriculum for eligible students, allowing some students to be bused in. There is anti-bullying training & procedures in place: STRICTLY ENFORCED. Due to the old rep, people including some Board members are not giving MacArthur a chance. Look into the new admin, staff, and policies and see for yourself before making a decision. I talked to the counselor & gave MacArthur a chance. I challenge you to do the same instead of believing everyyhing negative you hear. Too easy to post and believe the negative...where's the positive? If you want a school with absolutely no fighting or bullying, then homeschool because there's no such public school. As for parent involvement, MacArthur offers many opportunities to volunteer: PTSA, in classroom & office, lunch & hall monitor, etc.... A person only needs to show up/call to volunteer.

Posted November 26, 2012

There is another side of this story than just test scores and the comments posted below. My child has been at MacArthur for 3 months--in 6th grade. I was afraid to send him here because of the school's reputation for unruly behavior. But to my surprise, we have found excellent, dedicated, and caring teachers and a curriculum that is both challenging and engaging. Our one experience with bullying was dealt with swiftly, decisively, and fairly. Yes, there are problems with this--and any--middle school. But there is also another side to MacArthur--dedicated administrators & teachers, a creative and challenging curriculum, and kids who strive to excel and achieve.

Posted November 9, 2012

I am a student at MacArthur and this is my 8th grade year. A lot of my family members have gone to this school so I might be a little bias. I believe that some of the kids can get out of control but that is mostly due to their parents. For example, some kids have said that their parents told them that if some one is bothering them, that the have the right to punch that person. Now I am all for standing up for yourself but that is just ridiculous. The school stresses the fact that if you have a problem with someone then tell your guidance counselor. As for the person that said that their child was going w/o food for 9 hours that means that they aren't eating breakfast b/c school only lasts for like 7 hours. Also, I get lunch at school everyday and I have plenty of time to eat and talk to my friends. They teach plenty of IB things like thinking maps and learner profile traits etc.. Students get plenty of choices for classes like FACS, tech ed, French, Spanish, Chinese, band, orchestra, percussion, world music, chorus, AVID, gym, team sports, dance, algebra, geometry, foundations of art, and mission to the stars. I think that MacArthur Middle School is a great school.

Posted August 29, 2012

MacArthur Middle School is the WORST school I have every seen. The schools structure does not allow the students enough time to eat. My child is gone from home for 9 hrs w/ no food, this is child abuse in my eyes. The teachers down grade children and punish them for comming late due to school busses. I have e-mailed the principal and never recieved a response. I have now e-mail the Board of Education and still no response. I will be removing my child from this school, this is not our home school. She was sent there for a "IB" Program but, this program has done nothing but traumatized her.

Posted July 25, 2012

I was a student at MacArthur myself. These middle school years have been an experience. - My sixth grade year in 2OO9-2O1O wasn't as I expected; it was horrible. - As the year went on; My seventh grade year 2O1O-2O11 it had completely changed. - My eighth grade year 2O11-2O12 was absolutely amazing. The Staff at MacArthur are so caring, I would say that The Staff is like family. Education has improved a lot over the years. But the main focus in MacArthur is getting ready for high school, having a positive income and outcome as well. A lot of the reviews are focused on the students behavior. In all honesty, Parents have to take responsiblity out and sit down to talk to their child. It's not only the School's staff responsiblity to take action in your childs behavior. A lot of the time; students fight over bullying, or nonsense. Also a lot complain of not enough disciplinary action. Suspension, Detention, & Expelling are 3 ways of disciplining the students. The Principal Leadership was incredible. The Academic activites afterschools we're indescribable. I'm going to say this, MacArthur is an excellent school. Parents? Don't let your child miss out on a fun education.

Posted June 14, 2012

The weak administration lead the school to lower standards and most students become out of control. If you are lucky, your child will have a good teacher. Otherwise, your child's grade will be messed up. The school does not have an "IB Program", there is nothing about "IB" taught in the school. Finally, the school doesn't care about the students academics. If you have a chance to pick a school for your child, don't pick MacArthur Middle School, it's sad to say that, but it is truth. If you do, you will be sorry for your child.

Posted May 27, 2012

My daughter has been going to this school for the past year and I can tell you that I find that this school is not consistant with enforcing policies for bullies and as well for teachers. My daughter has experienced bullies and when she now defends herself she gets held accountable and not the other student who touched her first. I think this school is overcrowded and there is no control. There are teachers there who pick and choose. There are also teachers who feel they can talk to students however they choose to and when reported nothing gets done. I would not recommend this school to anyone. I am definitely planning on removing my daughter from this school. Very sad to have your own childnot want to go to school and has very littel faith in the school itself of helping and correcting problems. Sad.

Posted March 13, 2012

I have attended macarthur for 3 years now and the school is completely out of control. I mean you have students cursing at teachers, constant fights (sometimes between student and staff). There is no respect for anybody at that school you'd be lucky to learn a single thing because most of the teachers honestly do not sit down and TEACH the class. It bewilders me to see the amount of great students that are put in these and fail. It's sad .

Posted February 21, 2012

And to the parents below; Meade High School is even worse if you could imagine. We too pulled our kids out. They go to at Chesapeake in Pasadena now. We are also active duty, it is a disgrace to our service that they expect us to send our children there.

Posted February 20, 2012

I cannot believe it!! Where is the school district? This school is out of control. I am active duty and due to the unaceptable conditions at this school I have withdrawn my son from 7th grade. I never expected my move to Fort Meade to result in homeschooling my son. I am not trying to grind an axe here but I disregarded the earlier posts because I thought it can't be that bad..... well I was right it is WORSE!!

Posted February 20, 2012

Being military, we expect to have some difficulties when moving. NOTHING prepaired us for what we saw at this school. The kids were running amuck almost to the point of being out of control. They get "rewarded" if the school can go 10 days without a fight. There is a strick no bully policy but most kids do not report the issues. Our child was in 7th grade for the first half of the year. Normally our child loves school but began to beg us to stay home. The grades went from above average to deplorable. Class sizes are HUGE. I visisted one day and saw a substitute teacher locked out of her classroom and the kids in the classroom were screaming and completely our of control. I do not expect perfect kids in middile school, but this school was deplorable. Do not send your children here. This is not a DOD school. The school is on post but the majority of students that attend here have no afiliation with the military. The principle was willing to discuss matters, but there was not a simple plan for how to fix the school. The teachers genuinely seem to care, but the system does not support them in their efforts to maintain discipline.

Posted February 3, 2012

BAD< BAD < BAD.......... MacArthur Student Accused of Physically Confronting Teacher An eighth-grader displayed "extremely poor behavior," resulting in an altercation broken up by a school counselor, according to an email to parents. An eighth-grader at MacArthur Middle School could face disciplinary action after school officials said he physically confronted a teacher during a class on Wednesday. According to an email to parents from school officials, the school resource officer at MacArthur removed the student from the building after an incident during a presentation in the Team Teaching Room, and police could file charges against the student, assistant principal Chris Wukitch said in the email. "During a presentation to eighth-graders in our Team Teaching Room, one student displayed extremely poor behavior and ultimately got into a physical confrontation with the teacher," Wukitch wrote. "No other students were involved in the altercation, which was broken up quickly by one of our counselors.

Posted January 10, 2012

MacArthur is a really wonderful school any child is lucky to go here and will have the times of there lives academic wise they are a 4 out of 5

Posted November 9, 2011

Hey. I Go To MacArthur Middle School, And I Gotta Tell Ya, Dont Bring Your Kids Here. Most Of The Children Are Disrespectful, And Rude. And There Are Like 4 Fights In One Day. And People Act Very Tough At That School, So If You Say Something About Someone, Dont Be Suprised If You Get Punched In The Mouth, Because Thats What They Would Do. Currently At The School There Has Been 4 Fights Already. ALREADY. Last Year There Was 12 Fights. But I Bet That There Will Be More Fights In The Future Years Of MacArthur Middle School. The School Is I Think 70% Black And 30% White/Others. Its Really A Ghetto School. Lol. But The School Really Isnt Great...Overall The School Is ANNOYING. Teachers Are Disrespected Everyday. EVERYDAY. Its Very Saddening. The Teachers Are Very Nice, And Pleasent, While The Students Are Downright RUDE. The Principal Is Very Good, And Handles Us Students Well, But When Its Time For Lunch, The Students Tend To Get A Little WILD. They Wont Listen To The Principal 90% Of The Time, When He Tries To Make Announcements. The School Just Is An Old Bag Down The Drain. No Stars Should Be Recived. 11/8/2011

Posted December 18, 2010

i go to macaurther in 6th grade and there is alot of fighting. the uniform policy is not followed by some 6th graders,7th and 8th graders don't care at all. teachers call kids stupid and to shut up. Your friends will turn on you i a quick second. Some friends might just want to get in a fight just to get in one. Kids think it is cool but it isn't. Kids don't care about your feelings at all. Kids disrespt teachers as well. The teachers at the school walk you from lunch which makes u late for class. Dumb. This school is corny. If you get pushed and somebody pushes u push that person back you get suspended. Stupid. The academic thing is okay. It is not great though. If you think the SOAR code is real it is not. They have raffles to win pencils. But in gym class there is drama. Teachers also cuss. This is not were u want your child to come.

Posted June 18, 2010

I see fights a lot, constant bullying and the teachers don't pay attention. once, i got shoved into a locker because of a girl not paying attention, elbowed because they weren't paying attention. I am a 7th grader, going into 8th grade, and my mom said that i could go to CSP and i would be glad to go. Parents: If you want your child to feel unique, this is not the school. 99% of the boys have their boxers showing and the girls are just plain mean. Don't be fooled that it's a "safe school" just because it's on a military base. Many kids get into fights daily. Also, if you want a strict uniform policy, this is not the school.

Posted May 13, 2010

MacArthur is indeed a very unique school,it had quite more to offer,I'm an 8th grader here and this is our last full month of middle school,and I admit,some of the teachers are kind of starting teacher bigority at our school,and the voilence dosent occur that much,but it does in some occasions,but its mostly a voilent free school =D,I recommend you send your child here!,they have a uniform policy so your child dosent have to worry about what he/she wears,and there is diffrent cliques wich can be good and bad at the same time,the good is that,your child will fit in no matter what =D,the bad children can feel left out,well go macarthur we won t forget you at meade and arundel next year,and I want to thank you for the nice expirence there,God bless everyone there!
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 24, 2010

My children attended macarthur and it is one of the worst schools ever. Teacher bigotry, one of the worst schools...Stay away from this school..Bad,,,bad.,,,Bad

Posted April 19, 2010

This school is very poor in test scores & has alot of bad behavior students, & teachers that are raciest and dont care about the stundents and that mess up the whole school
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 4% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3500 Rockenbach Rd