Fort Meade, MD
Students enrolled: 1,166

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 03, 2015
I believe there are some teachers that are the glue to this school. But if I say their names they probably will be removed.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
If a child gets in an altercation, referral or any type of infraction no matter how small or how long ago they DO NOT ALLOW them to partake in their own promotion. Even if the make honor roll the entire 8th grade year with no infractions in the 8th grade. Or maybe that's only the black students. Nice way to show them how to redeem themselves

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 03, 2015
How can you learn respect when none is given? The teachers are there for a check and administration shows no respect to students. These are youngsters who learn from adults. If they show no compassion for learning it's because of the learning environment.

Posted October 25, 2014
MacArthur is a wonderful school and my son is flourishing wonderfully in 6th! I must admit I was adamant that he was NOT going to attend MacArthur middle school if I had anything to do with it! But he wanted to attend and I said I would give it a chance. He is so focused on his grades, his teachers are great. When I reach out they respond right away, the new principal is wonderful and the 6th grade principal rocks!! If you have questions or any type of concern he is on it!! I love that!! My son is making A's and B's he's and athlete has great friends in MacArthur and is focused on what he needs to do. I won't lie the work seems challenging for 6th graders, more than what I remember in 6th grade but that is good. I can't really say enough about how I was wrong about my first thoughts of this school listening to people's reviews from the past reputation it had. Great things are happening at MacArthur!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 24, 2014
BEST SCHOOL EVER! With a new principal, MacArthur Middle School has been the most exciting year of my life. Just starting 6th grade in a new school, with new people, it was hard to adjust to. But with the help of awesome teachers, like the ones in the Towson Tigers team, they helped us become a great student. I am looking forward to the rest of my 3 years in middle school to be the best. Ones that I could have not have made in any other school. We have fun incentives , like pep-rallies, dances, and days we can wear hats, crazy looking socks, and more!

Posted June 22, 2014
I am military and my daughter attended this school for two years. From what I have seen from the school in regards to my child and a friend's child, the teacher's favor non-military children quite heavily. My friend's child said that the teacher said something to the effect that military children have it much better than the other children from offbase so this teacher said that they would give them "help" with their grades. In essence, give them a better grade regardless of their actual performance. This particular child worked very hard to have good grades - and was given "D"s and "E"s routinely. Only after going back to the teacher for a review of the work was an "A" or "B" given. Military children are also a minority here and targeted for bullying by those from offbase. My own daughter, who is very quite and carefree, had her head smashed into a locker and a lock of her hair taken right off her head with scissors. I believe that it is important for a classroom to have diversity if children are to learn from one another. Kids from offbase help to accomplish that. This school, however, is failing to provide a safe and fair learning environment for all the children they teach.
3 people found this helpful

Macarthur Middle School 3

Posted June 06, 2014
Check out some great news about the involvement of MacArthur students in an interdisciplinary project! http://www.aacps.org/axis/currentaxis.pdf

Posted May 03, 2014
School can use some updating but my experience so far with the staff and students have been pleasant. The students I've encountered have been articulate and friendly the staff has been helpful and responsive. The only complaint is that it's over crowded and can use some modern updates. When will be the rep of the Meade cluster schools go away!? This school is doing great things.

Posted April 03, 2014
Absolutely a travesty that a school that should be designed with a transitioning in and out military population is designed in such a way that they purposely bus "disadvantaged" kids from outside of the base onto base to mingle and mix (really just ruin the education of) already stressed military dependent children. Liberal social experiment on the wrong group in my opinion. I could go on, but I wont.
6 people found this helpful

Posted March 20, 2014
My grades have plunged since I went to this school! I was making the A and B honor roll in 5th grade. But now, I am startinag to make C, D, and E's. The school is also filthy as heck and should be tore down! The locker rooms for gym are my highest health concern, and there is a LOT of vandalism in this school. The only positive is at least I havewgood riends.

3500 Rockenbach Rd, Fort Meade, MD  20755
Last modified Macarthur Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Macarthur Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 106 reviews. Top