Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son is doing good things at MacArthur! He's excelling very well. MacArthur has somewhat of a bad reputation but nothing goes on any differently in this school than most other middle schools. I'm pleased. My son is a honor roll student and we are happy.

Send your child to Meade Middle instead. This school is not good at all. Bullying and fighting runs rampant while teachers don't care. The school interior is crumbling at the slightest touch. The locker rooms smell like mold. There is one section of the male locker room that smells like mold, and there is graffiti on the lockers. The bathrooms are disgusting. Even if you pass the male bathroom, it smells like urine. There is urine all over the floor, there is NEVER any soap in the dispensers, no paper towels, the sinks down work, and to top it all of, it wouldn't be rare if you found someone's feces in the sink. During the 14-15 school year, the administrators took off all the doors to EVERY bathroom (except the visitor's) because these problems are so bad. More than half of the teachers don't give a hoot of their students. Sometimes, all teachers just do is hand everybody a packet for the whole class, while the teacher sits there texting on her phone. Vandalism occurs to. For the 14-15 school year, we have had over 5 broken windows throught the school. There is also questionable writing on the desks and the bathroom tile. We have had many principals who gave up on our school, and Mr. Whiting won't be an exception. If you report a problem to any administrator, they won't care. In 6th grade, we had this bus driver who smoked and texted while driving. Everybody on the bus reported him to Mr. Greene for MONTHS without any help. It took until the beginning of the 7th grade school year for him to be gone. Also try and report bullying too. I had this friend who was bullied so much, and when she tried reporting it staff, all they did was give her a report sheet and told her to fill it out. She filled it out and nothing has changed for her. She then transferred to Meade. We have had many occasions where police had to show up to campus. During the school year, there was a massive brawl between 6, 7, and 8th graders, and there were a couple ambulances at the school. If you or your child is making honor roll, prepare for their grades to slump significantly. I was making A-B honor roll before I came to MacArthur, but now I am struggling to even pass. And if you're not a fighter don't come here. If you come here, you ALWAYS have a day throught the school year where you are punch, especially if your new. So in short, SEND YOUR CHILD TO MEADE MIDDLE SCHOOL!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I believe there are some teachers that are the glue to this school. But if I say their names they probably will be removed.

BEST SCHOOL EVER! With a new principal, MacArthur Middle School has been the most exciting year of my life. Just starting 6th grade in a new school, with new people, it was hard to adjust to. But with the help of awesome teachers, like the ones in the Towson Tigers team, they helped us become a great student. I am looking forward to the rest of my 3 years in middle school to be the best. Ones that I could have not have made in any other school. We have fun incentives , like pep-rallies, dances, and days we can wear hats, crazy looking socks, and more!

I am military and my daughter attended this school for two years. From what I have seen from the school in regards to my child and a friend's child, the teacher's favor non-military children quite heavily. My friend's child said that the teacher said something to the effect that military children have it much better than the other children from offbase so this teacher said that they would give them "help" with their grades. In essence, give them a better grade regardless of their actual performance. This particular child worked very hard to have good grades - and was given "D"s and "E"s routinely. Only after going back to the teacher for a review of the work was an "A" or "B" given. Military children are also a minority here and targeted for bullying by those from offbase. My own daughter, who is very quite and carefree, had her head smashed into a locker and a lock of her hair taken right off her head with scissors. I believe that it is important for a classroom to have diversity if children are to learn from one another. Kids from offbase help to accomplish that. This school, however, is failing to provide a safe and fair learning environment for all the children they teach.

Check out some great news about the involvement of MacArthur students in an interdisciplinary project! http://www.aacps.org/axis/currentaxis.pdf

School can use some updating but my experience so far with the staff and students have been pleasant. The students I've encountered have been articulate and friendly the staff has been helpful and responsive. The only complaint is that it's over crowded and can use some modern updates. When will be the rep of the Meade cluster schools go away!? This school is doing great things.

Absolutely a travesty that a school that should be designed with a transitioning in and out military population is designed in such a way that they purposely bus "disadvantaged" kids from outside of the base onto base to mingle and mix (really just ruin the education of) already stressed military dependent children. Liberal social experiment on the wrong group in my opinion. I could go on, but I wont.

This is a fun and exciting school. There are many smart kids willing to learn, but even more than curse.

Hello I am a fellow student of MacArthur for now....let me tell you about my last 2 years at MacArthur. I am in 8 th grade now but I will be moving schools. MacArthur has a bad rep as you can see and everything these parents, teachers and students have said is True. Never send your children to this school it is disgusting, full of ignorant kids, and has horrible environment. In 5th grade I was excited to be on my way to MacArthur so I ignored the comments and ratings 2 years later ive had many regrets. This school's students will taint your innocent children and wreck their outlook on life. Please take heed to what I am saying DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL but if you dont believe me ask to take a tour with your child and pay attention to what you hear and see. There is cursing, negative conversation, and dirty talkers also gossip EVERYWHERE. If your child is quiet, cheerful, honest, nice and/or open and you send them hear expect a negative change in them. The students here spread rumors faster than the speed of lighting. I am so glad that my mother is transferring me I am fed up. Thanks for reading hope you make the right decision :)

Last modified Macarthur Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.