Fort Meade, MD
Students enrolled: 2,270

Meade High School
Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 28, 2015
I have had two of my children attend Meade High and I am VERY pleased at the direction the school is headed. The principal truly cares about our children. These reviews are so outdated and most untrue. Every school has it's issues. There;s a coach by the name of Coach Trust, she is the JV cheer coach and this coach has HEART!!! She encourages my daughter and even has me motivated to be involved. This is the kind of person our children look forward to keeping them on the right track. Coach Trust is tough on these kids, but she also shows them love and attention. She does not try to be their friend. However, I have had some issues, but my daughter tends to hang with people who add to her. This year my daughter will be a senior... MUSTANGS!

Posted April 20, 2015
My daughter is involved with the MHS Band and I volunteer much of my time with the Band. It is a very large school, hence many issues. But the principal and admin really seem to be on top of things. They act as soon as something is reported and then he informs the parents. They encourage "if you see something, say something" as well as "respect by all for all". It has a somewhat bad rep due to the few getting headlines with their bad choices, but all schools have issues. I hope the rep changes as the semi-new admin continues to make positive changes. My daughter enjoys school and has had very few issues. Our biggest problem is a couple of teachers who tend to misplace work (so many students they say)! Otherwise, teachers are fair, encourage learning, and have been there for her when she's needed extra help. The Homeland Security Program is awesome!! Cannot say enough good things about the 2 teachers and the program itself: opportunities in class, field trips, guest speakers, etc.... It is as real and in touch with the world's social climate as can be. 4 stars mainly because it is sooo large. Here's to hoping that one day the good will steal as many headlines as the bad.

Meade High School 5

Posted August 25, 2014
Great school! People need to look beyond its "bad reputation"... so many rumors are NOT true!!

Posted June 17, 2014
First let me say Meade HS consists of two different schools. The "regular" school which is average to below average and the school that contains the IB program which is very strong. I would only let my child matriculate at Meade if they were definitely participating in the IB program in the 11th-12th grade. The caliber of teacher is higher for the IB program and they're more involved and dedicated. Also they're less taxed with behavioral problems so they can effectively teach. This year one of the IB students graduated and is going to HARVARD UNIVERSITY!! So this tells you the quality of instruction at Meade (on the IB level). So the moral of this post is...if your child wants a quality education it can be found at Meade...but mostly in the IB program. Also the principal John Yore is top notch...he cares and is working tirelessly to improve the climate at Meade HS for ALL students. Im only rating this school above average due to the IB program.

Meade High School 5

Posted May 16, 2014
My son has been in this school for his junior year after a job transfer from CA. As others have said you make it to the most of your ability (as with anything else). His AP and honor teachers have all been great and caring. They respond very quickly if you email or call them.The teachers are very involved if the parents are. The teachers and coaches are very caring. So far my son experience has been great!

Posted March 21, 2014
What you make of it. Really appreciate all the improvements and upgrades. Would be better if more parents participated or were interested in the progress of the school.

Meade High School 3

Posted February 07, 2014
I am a military child, and I moved to Ft. Meade from Europe. As a result of living on post, my brother and I were made to go to Meade Senior High (or a private school if we wanted to attend elsewhere but still live on base). We spent only the first semester of freshman year at Meade High. After having attended only DODDS schools our whole lives, coming to Meade was a shock. Not only were the standards incredibly lower than that of what we were used to, but the overall atmosphere of the school held a different, less challenging tone. I myself was enrolled in all honors classes, and while I did like many of my teachers, it was obvious that unless you outwardly showed that you were invested in your education, personal standards of mediocrity and even failure where acceptable. I will give the school the credit to the fact that they are, indeed, diverse, but one begins to wonder after attending Meade High whether or not the social standards of particular races are beginning to be adapted in to the classroom environment. That, I believe, is the source of all the allegations of 'racism' within the school. My brother and I are still freshman and will be attending Severna Park High School.

Meade High School 1

Posted December 25, 2013
This is a terrible high school. I went here freshman year. I am now a senior at Broadneck High School in Annapolis. It is okay for the students who are in advanced classes but if you are in standard/IEP classes, the education stinks The teachers have to spend a lot of the class time for the students to calm down, and they can barely teach cause the students disturb class The environment is not a happy setting and not a healthy setting for students who want to work hard. The students were not bad, no people are bad, I loved the students but they made bad decisions. It's just that some of the students disturbed class, harassed students, and got in the way of the education. This high school is far from "normal." The staff were nice for the most part but failed to see the students were disturbed and harassed the students who weren't. When I moved to Broadneck my sophomore year, everything went smoothly and I felt like I was a student at a normal high school If you're looking for a high school with a friendly environment for your child to feel safe and happy in, Meade isn't the one.

Meade High School 1

Posted August 06, 2013
I am sorry to say that i did NOT enjoy my time at Mead HS. The staff has a hard time fixing problems and the state of Meade's facility is very old and needs to be updated. It seems like no one is willing to find a solution to these issues.

Meade High School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
Both my kids graduated from Meade HS. This is a very diverse school, and students need to learn to make important choices. There are plenty of examples of students who have made the wrong ones. Daughter graduated college with honors, her last two years on full scholarship. Son, who has learning disabilities, graduated UMBC and makes six figures. Meade HS gave them good academic preparation, and realistic social preparation for REAL LIFE.

Meade High School
1100 Clark Rd, Fort Meade, MD  20755
Last modified Meade High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Meade High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 137 reviews. Top