Fort Meade, MD
Students enrolled: 2,270

Posted August 25, 2014
Great school! People need to look beyond its "bad reputation"... so many rumors are NOT true!!

Posted June 17, 2014
First let me say Meade HS consists of two different schools. The "regular" school which is average to below average and the school that contains the IB program which is very strong. I would only let my child matriculate at Meade if they were definitely participating in the IB program in the 11th-12th grade. The caliber of teacher is higher for the IB program and they're more involved and dedicated. Also they're less taxed with behavioral problems so they can effectively teach. This year one of the IB students graduated and is going to HARVARD UNIVERSITY!! So this tells you the quality of instruction at Meade (on the IB level). So the moral of this post is...if your child wants a quality education it can be found at Meade...but mostly in the IB program. Also the principal John Yore is top notch...he cares and is working tirelessly to improve the climate at Meade HS for ALL students. Im only rating this school above average due to the IB program.

Posted May 16, 2014
My son has been in this school for his junior year after a job transfer from CA. As others have said you make it to the most of your ability (as with anything else). His AP and honor teachers have all been great and caring. They respond very quickly if you email or call them.The teachers are very involved if the parents are. The teachers and coaches are very caring. So far my son experience has been great!

Posted March 21, 2014
What you make of it. Really appreciate all the improvements and upgrades. Would be better if more parents participated or were interested in the progress of the school.

Meade High School 3

Posted February 07, 2014
I am a military child, and I moved to Ft. Meade from Europe. As a result of living on post, my brother and I were made to go to Meade Senior High (or a private school if we wanted to attend elsewhere but still live on base). We spent only the first semester of freshman year at Meade High. After having attended only DODDS schools our whole lives, coming to Meade was a shock. Not only were the standards incredibly lower than that of what we were used to, but the overall atmosphere of the school held a different, less challenging tone. I myself was enrolled in all honors classes, and while I did like many of my teachers, it was obvious that unless you outwardly showed that you were invested in your education, personal standards of mediocrity and even failure where acceptable. I will give the school the credit to the fact that they are, indeed, diverse, but one begins to wonder after attending Meade High whether or not the social standards of particular races are beginning to be adapted in to the classroom environment. That, I believe, is the source of all the allegations of 'racism' within the school. My brother and I are still freshman and will be attending Severna Park High School.

Meade High School 1

Posted December 25, 2013
This is a terrible high school. I went here freshman year. I am now a senior at Broadneck High School in Annapolis. It is okay for the students who are in advanced classes but if you are in standard/IEP classes, the education stinks The teachers have to spend a lot of the class time for the students to calm down, and they can barely teach cause the students disturb class The environment is not a happy setting and not a healthy setting for students who want to work hard. The students were not bad, no people are bad, I loved the students but they made bad decisions. It's just that some of the students disturbed class, harassed students, and got in the way of the education. This high school is far from "normal." The staff were nice for the most part but failed to see the students were disturbed and harassed the students who weren't. When I moved to Broadneck my sophomore year, everything went smoothly and I felt like I was a student at a normal high school If you're looking for a high school with a friendly environment for your child to feel safe and happy in, Meade isn't the one.

Meade High School 1

Posted August 06, 2013
I am sorry to say that i did NOT enjoy my time at Mead HS. The staff has a hard time fixing problems and the state of Meade's facility is very old and needs to be updated. It seems like no one is willing to find a solution to these issues.

Meade High School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
Both my kids graduated from Meade HS. This is a very diverse school, and students need to learn to make important choices. There are plenty of examples of students who have made the wrong ones. Daughter graduated college with honors, her last two years on full scholarship. Son, who has learning disabilities, graduated UMBC and makes six figures. Meade HS gave them good academic preparation, and realistic social preparation for REAL LIFE.

Posted December 10, 2012
I was a student from 2006-2010, which in my opinion, was the turning point of the school. My freshman year was full of fights, even a huge one erupted during the final week of testing which left the school with a bad reputation. Since then, the school adopted the IB (International Baccalaureate) program, still has the AP classes and other Honor leveled classes. Most of the teachers I have come across are enthusiastic about their work and are eager to be there along with students. There's always going to be those students up to no good, and that teacher that rubs you the wrong way, but honestly not to the point where Meade's average is at three stars. There are volunteer clubs, math clubs, football, soccer, track, etc. The only thing the school lacks in my opinion is family involvement in most areas, although in band, along with others, there is plenty involvement. It was a bad high school that has come a long way, and I am happy that I attended it all four years and graduated in the top 10% of my class.

Posted July 29, 2012
Meade has a bad reputation that it does NOT deserve. I understand that in the past there were problems in the school but the school I see today is nothing like that. Every high school in this system has issues and Meade is no different on that point. BUT Meade has a lot to offer its students that want to be involved in academics, sports, music and just about any other activity you can name. I volunteer from time to time at Meade and I have to say that I am always pleasantly surprised at the kindness and consideration shown by many of the students. Sure, there are a handful of kids that should not be there - or at any other school because they are plain and simple thugs. Far and away though the students are polite and well mannered. What Meade lacks is parental involvement and parental support. I think if the parents were to step up and be more involved that Meade would be one of the premier schools in our system. Until that happens though, Meade will probably suffer from the misconception that it is a "ghetto" school. I really resent that remark because it was obviously made based on a particular "look" and not on fact.

Meade High School
1100 Clark Rd, Fort Meade, MD  20755
Last modified Meade High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Meade High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 135 reviews. Top