Apple Grove Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted July 3, 2014

For the area, this school was on par with the private school that my child came from after 6 years of private schooling. The teachers were very engaging and were available for the many meetings that my wife and I requested. Fortunately, we did not experience any behavioral issues within the school. Teachers were effective and prepared. The assistant principle and 6th grade teachers are great! Areas for improvement, for me would be (1) better principle engagement, (2) a science fair for 4th through 6th graders, (3) better parent participation at the few events held, and (4) parents need to not park in the fire lane [yellow curb] and cut their car off and walk their kid in the building. That is what the parking spaces are for. I think if we can get more parents to not rely on the school teaching everything and assist kids with learning, and get decent middle-class people who live in the area to stop prejudging the neighborhood school system (I was guilty of this) and not send their kid to private school assuming that you are getting a better education, Apple Grove could be, at least, an 8 out of 10. I was satisfied with the school, staff, and academics of Apple Grove.

Posted June 11, 2014

This year was my son's first and last year at Apple Grove (6th grade). He previously attended private school for K - 5th grades and I wish my family had put some trust in our neighborhood elementary school and had him enrolled a lot sooner. He had a great year and really liked the school. I was surprised with the level of instruction he received and the type of work the 6th graders did. I was really concerned about moving him from private to public school, thinking that he wouldn't learn much this year or that what he had learned in private school was so far ahead of public school. This was not the case! Now, there are a few areas that AG has to work on, but honestly, what school is perfect and without some problems? As long as my child is in a safe environment and is learning at or above grade level, then I have no major issues. And since this year was a success for my son, we'll be moving my daughter from private school to AG for the next school year. The bottom line is that parents need to be involved with the school and must be involved in their child's academics for them to be successful. Parents can't leave education completely in the hands of others.

Posted March 2, 2014

This is one of the worst schools in Southern PG!!!! The principal is worthless!!!!! For the last few years my child has been without a teacher!!! For the school year 2012-2013 my daughter was without a teacher for 7 months. Now this school year for 2013-2014 she was without a permanent teacher from August up to December and now the current teacher is stating that she have some concerns with my child's academics. I have had the same concerns and drafted a letter over a year ago because of all the substitute and unqualified teachers that seem to end up at Apple Grove. Several parents are now raising concerns with Beth Linn, the principal. No child should be considered to be retained if the principal is not doing her job by making sure that each student is being taught by highly qualified teachers and every classroom have a permanent teacher when school opens in August.

Posted February 16, 2014

Apple Grove is one of the best schools in PG County. I have 4 children that attend AG, and it has ben a wonderful experience for our entire family. They have a fantastic support system set up to assist any student in any area! Mrs. Linn is a wonderful leader, she knows every child by name! M. McDaniel

Posted January 24, 2008

I have to say, last year when we received our new Vice Principal Mrs. Reid-Freeman, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, kudos to you Mrs. Reid-Freeman for a job well done. The new Principal Ms. Linn is doing a wonderful job this year, she cares for not just her students but her staff as well and caring for the staff as well allows the staff to step up and do there educational jobs wel. Well done Ms. Linn, well done! Of course the school still needs work but the work is being put in, finally. Apple Grove has teachers that put in the work and some that don't. There Special Education Program is one to not count on.

Posted January 23, 2008

This is my child's second year. The previous year the teacher was very attentive. I received calls when my child and 2 stepchildren were doing well or when they were having issues. This year there was an issue with my childs homework. I didn't find out until I received the last report card. If my child's an honor roll student and suddenly has an issue with homework, I expect to get a call or letter from the teacher. Outside of that one issue, I have never had any problems. I think the school is great, but could use more extra curricular activities.

Posted January 11, 2008

I have 2 children that attend Apple Grove this year. So far so good. The have a new principal and I believe she's the one for the school. I love the fact the teachers give them a behavoir grade everyday. My youngest son teacher email at least 2 days out of the week throughout the day giving me a report of my child. She also gives him a rating every day for each assignment he completes. I appreciate evry effort she makes for my child. My oldest son teacher make phone calls if he isnt doing right, but she also gives him a behavior chart and grade him every day. They have a after school program for different academics that's going great. I have seen alot of changes since my oldest son started 5 years ago.

Posted January 18, 2006

My son is in the 2nd grade, his teacher raises her voice, which is heard at the beginning of the hall and there near the end. I believe some of the teachers are frustrated I have witnessed them rolling there eyes at the students. There is not enough supervision on the playground to prevents altercations with the students. They is no time in the curriculum for Art, I have only seen one project which was Christmas tree after the fact. I believe they are to strict on the uniform policy and it should be relaxed some. There are no extracurriculum activities to boost the kids self esteem and growth. There is not enough time for them to eat lunch. The teachers do not show genuine concern. I do not like the scheduled rest room breaks per grade and classroom.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted January 27, 2005

I've had three children to attend Apple Grove and I have to say that this school year has been the worst I've had with any of my children and my oldest is 19. I have witnessed the teachers raising their voices at the children, towering over them in an intimidating way and losing patience rather quickly when the class may get out of hand. This takes away from the freedom of learning and the childrens desire to go to them for help. This has been my daughter's experience, one that I'm sure others have had as well.

Posted August 4, 2004

My daughter attends Apple Grove Elementary and I have notice significant change in her learning. The teachers at this school are excellent and they take there time with the students. My daughter is going to the 2nd grade and she now reads chapter books, and enjoys writting everyday as well.

Posted May 11, 2004

I am currently a teacher at Apple Grove Elementary School. I agree the class sizes are too big and that the turn over rate of teachers is high. However, speaking as a teacher these children are being taught. Generally, there is very little parent involvement and an overwhelming amount of behavior problems. The only consequence teachers have for behavior is the loss of recess. And those students do not care. I suggest that if a parent thinks they can do it better that they volunteer their time to one of the 30 teachers who would be very grateful to have the assistance. Not to mention that PG county provides very little in classroom materials. I love teaching, however, any changes that need to be made must come from the county and the parents playing an active role. Not in the staffs abilities to teach.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 15, 2004

Apple Grove needs to make a lot of improvements. The first improvement is to limit the class size. My son is currently in the second grade and from the first day he entered Apple Grove his kindergarden class had over 30 kids in the class and 31 kids in his first grade class. This year on the first day of school his teacher said out of all her years teaching at Apple Grove that her class size was too big. Out the the 32 kids in her classroom, 15 of the students were below grade level in reading. So what this tells me is that Apple Grove's teachers are not doing a good job in the area of teaching. I hope Mrs. Smith(principal)can turn things around because this school needs help. They also need more parent involvement on the PTA. Over the last couple of years the retention ratio for the younger kids continues to rise between 1 and 2 grade and the good teacher turnover rate is the other problem.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7400 Bellefield Ave