Fort Washington, MD

Apple Grove Elementary School 5

Posted May 28, 2015
This school is a rising star! PG County is going to rise above the stereotypes and soon people will be wishing they lived in this part! We have a great neighborhood

Posted July 03, 2014
For the area, this school was on par with the private school that my child came from after 6 years of private schooling. The teachers were very engaging and were available for the many meetings that my wife and I requested. Fortunately, we did not experience any behavioral issues within the school. Teachers were effective and prepared. The assistant principle and 6th grade teachers are great! Areas for improvement, for me would be (1) better principle engagement, (2) a science fair for 4th through 6th graders, (3) better parent participation at the few events held, and (4) parents need to not park in the fire lane [yellow curb] and cut their car off and walk their kid in the building. That is what the parking spaces are for. I think if we can get more parents to not rely on the school teaching everything and assist kids with learning, and get decent middle-class people who live in the area to stop prejudging the neighborhood school system (I was guilty of this) and not send their kid to private school assuming that you are getting a better education, Apple Grove could be, at least, an 8 out of 10. I was satisfied with the school, staff, and academics of Apple Grove.

Posted June 11, 2014
This year was my son's first and last year at Apple Grove (6th grade). He previously attended private school for K - 5th grades and I wish my family had put some trust in our neighborhood elementary school and had him enrolled a lot sooner. He had a great year and really liked the school. I was surprised with the level of instruction he received and the type of work the 6th graders did. I was really concerned about moving him from private to public school, thinking that he wouldn't learn much this year or that what he had learned in private school was so far ahead of public school. This was not the case! Now, there are a few areas that AG has to work on, but honestly, what school is perfect and without some problems? As long as my child is in a safe environment and is learning at or above grade level, then I have no major issues. And since this year was a success for my son, we'll be moving my daughter from private school to AG for the next school year. The bottom line is that parents need to be involved with the school and must be involved in their child's academics for them to be successful. Parents can't leave education completely in the hands of others.

Posted April 23, 2014
Apple Grove is our neighborhood school and I think once more parents become involved in the parent teacher organization, the school will continue to improve.

Apple Grove Elementary School 1

Posted March 02, 2014
This is one of the worst schools in Southern PG!!!! The principal is worthless!!!!! For the last few years my child has been without a teacher!!! For the school year 2012-2013 my daughter was without a teacher for 7 months. Now this school year for 2013-2014 she was without a permanent teacher from August up to December and now the current teacher is stating that she have some concerns with my child's academics. I have had the same concerns and drafted a letter over a year ago because of all the substitute and unqualified teachers that seem to end up at Apple Grove. Several parents are now raising concerns with Beth Linn, the principal. No child should be considered to be retained if the principal is not doing her job by making sure that each student is being taught by highly qualified teachers and every classroom have a permanent teacher when school opens in August.

Apple Grove Elementary School 5

Posted February 16, 2014
Apple Grove is one of the best schools in PG County. I have 4 children that attend AG, and it has ben a wonderful experience for our entire family. They have a fantastic support system set up to assist any student in any area! Mrs. Linn is a wonderful leader, she knows every child by name! M. McDaniel

Posted January 24, 2008
I have to say, last year when we received our new Vice Principal Mrs. Reid-Freeman, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, kudos to you Mrs. Reid-Freeman for a job well done. The new Principal Ms. Linn is doing a wonderful job this year, she cares for not just her students but her staff as well and caring for the staff as well allows the staff to step up and do there educational jobs wel. Well done Ms. Linn, well done! Of course the school still needs work but the work is being put in, finally. Apple Grove has teachers that put in the work and some that don't. There Special Education Program is one to not count on.

Posted January 23, 2008
This is my child's second year. The previous year the teacher was very attentive. I received calls when my child and 2 stepchildren were doing well or when they were having issues. This year there was an issue with my childs homework. I didn't find out until I received the last report card. If my child's an honor roll student and suddenly has an issue with homework, I expect to get a call or letter from the teacher. Outside of that one issue, I have never had any problems. I think the school is great, but could use more extra curricular activities.

Posted January 11, 2008
I have 2 children that attend Apple Grove this year. So far so good. The have a new principal and I believe she's the one for the school. I love the fact the teachers give them a behavoir grade everyday. My youngest son teacher email at least 2 days out of the week throughout the day giving me a report of my child. She also gives him a rating every day for each assignment he completes. I appreciate evry effort she makes for my child. My oldest son teacher make phone calls if he isnt doing right, but she also gives him a behavior chart and grade him every day. They have a after school program for different academics that's going great. I have seen alot of changes since my oldest son started 5 years ago.

Apple Grove Elementary School

Posted January 18, 2006
My son is in the 2nd grade, his teacher raises her voice, which is heard at the beginning of the hall and there near the end. I believe some of the teachers are frustrated I have witnessed them rolling there eyes at the students. There is not enough supervision on the playground to prevents altercations with the students. They is no time in the curriculum for Art, I have only seen one project which was Christmas tree after the fact. I believe they are to strict on the uniform policy and it should be relaxed some. There are no extracurriculum activities to boost the kids self esteem and growth. There is not enough time for them to eat lunch. The teachers do not show genuine concern. I do not like the scheduled rest room breaks per grade and classroom.

Apple Grove Elementary School
7400 Bellefield Ave, Fort Washington, MD  20744
Last modified Apple Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Apple Grove Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top