No rating

National Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 259 students

Living in Fort Washington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $189,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted September 8, 2014

The National Christian Academy has provided both our son and daughter an education and a solid Christian foundation on which to build because they teach the full gospel. This is the only school that our daughter has attended and we believe that she is a better young lady for it.

Posted August 22, 2014

We have been at NCA for 1 year and, I'll admit, it was a challenging year coming from a public school! But with the teacher's (and tutor's) dedication and my husband and my involvement, we learned a lot and our son (who is in elementary school) had a great year! Involvement and communication was all that was needed to overcome any struggles we faced during this transition. My son also participate in the summer enrichment program and, even though it included "learning", he LOVED it. I believe NCA has the children's education, future success in life and spiritual well-being at the forefront of all their decision making. We are looking forward to this new year and are confident it will be successful.

Posted August 21, 2014

My children love this school. I do not agree with the negative comments that were written. My children never want to leave at the end of the day. May daughter has gotten many compliments from strangers on how she is sounding out her letters at the age of 3. My son, who is entering the 2nd grade this year has had an excellent experience. His teacher is caring and patient with him. He made the deans list his entire first grade year. I found the faculty and staff to be friendly and welcoming. It really has a family feel. Im really confused about the negative comments because that has never happened to my husband, my children, my mother in law or myself. We love this school!

Posted August 21, 2014

Read all the comments here!!!!! Not just the good ones!!!! I never experienced a staff so willing to punish a child for what they (mistakenly) perceive the parents error to be. I will never understand why it is acceptable to pull a child out of class on the assumption that the parent has paid tuition late. Just a little effort would reveal that the check is indeed in their possession and no drastic action need be taken. The only rationale given is that most new parents in the past have proven to be late or unreliable with tuition payment. I am truly disgusted. Additionally the teachers in the junior high and high school department do not know how to teach the materials, and do not properly explain the work to the class. I personally, would not recommend that you, being smart parents, and wanting the best education for your child, send your child to National Christian Academy! In case you decide to visit, be sure to visit the restrooms & cafeteria. And look out for Highs School administratives. You wont find a up to date Windows 7 or 8 computer lab. You won't even find a basic Biology lab. How can they even teach chemistry or biology without a lab.? This place is a big joke.

Posted August 20, 2014

I found that National Christian Academy is a great school. My daughter has grown academically and spiritually. The principal and teachers are dedicated to their students. The atmosphere at the school is loving and a caring environment, I would recommend this school to anyone who is interested.

Posted August 20, 2014

National Christian Academy is a great school with the right amount of students per class. The teachers provide the students with lessons & learning that are appropriate for each grade level. My children enjoy attending the school.

Posted August 20, 2014

We have two sons who attended National Christian Academy for seven years. The class sizes are much smaller than at public schools; the bible teachings are great; and the staff will work with you in addressing any concerns you may have but you have to be open and willing to work together with them as a team. If a child comes from a structured and nurturing environment, he/she will be very successful at National. Overall, we are pleased and our children enjoy attending. As a parent, I recommend a campus visit so you can make an informed decision on whether National is suitable for your family. You will be glad you did.

Posted August 18, 2014

I have two kids at this school. The ONLY reason they attend is because the public schools in the area are terrible. I will say that the A Beka curriculum is great and I'm happy with it. Now, the school itself? I have to agree with the other parents. A SERIOUS lack in parent-teacher communication, they seem VERY disorganized, VERY money driven, the other children despite this being a "Christian" school are rude, crass, some are ill-mannered and hard-headed. The teachers are inflexible, sometimes irrational and hard-nosed with THEIR beliefs. Your typical, cliqued up, churchy environment. As I said, curriculum-wise, they are great. I am shopping around now for places to relocate, so his will be the last year my kids will attend.

Posted May 8, 2014

My child has attended this school for two years. Started out in Pre K and has gone through K5. I can't tell you the amount of problems I have encountered in this school. From over crowded classes, to the things my child comes home to tell me about what the other children talk about in class, etc. I have had numerous meetings with the principle over minor things that a normal 4 and 5 year old does but when something is done to my child I never hear about it from the school. This school is definitely about money and needless to say my child will not be returning for another year. I expected for the children to be more disciplined by the teachers for the things that they do and say but it seems that anything goes for the money. On another note the teachers assistants and 1st grade teachers are really nice and the summer program is actually good because there are less children in the classroom and your child gets more one on one time.

Posted April 15, 2014

I attended this school in elementary and middle school, in the early '90s (a million years ago). When I look at these reviews, I see that this school has not changed. We dealt with an ever-revolving cast of teachers and even as children, we knew that we lacked basic resources despite the high tuition. I begged to go to public school; this finally happened once things got so bad at NCA that someone was stabbed (at the time, students expelled from DC and PG were allowed to come to the school - so the entire school had basically become these types of people). I wish I could find the articles - it was all over the news. Sadly, here we are 20 years later and the same stuff is still going on: A school that seems more interested in churchin' and getting checks than educating. The reviews that say "there's room for improvement" but still recommend the school are most baffling to me: I'm not a parent, but I would think my kid would deserve a school that was at the top of its game. Worst of all, when I went to public school, I had been so underexposed (both to people and real academic rigor) they thought I was "slow". The damage from that school was real. Avoid it.

Posted February 7, 2014

I am very surprised at the complaints previously listed. My girls have attended NCA for the past 2 years, and I am quite satisfied with the administrations and teachers attention to details with the students, and any other issues that may arise. I actually attended this school in 7th and 8th grade, and only left after begging my mother for the opportunity to attend public school because I had attended private school my entire life. A decision I wish I hadn't made. After enrolling my children here and seeing the MANY changes the school has completed I find the school encourages parental involvement, and I have NEVER had any issues with the administrative and support staff in planning events, or even volunteering with the many functions they not only have for the students, but for the parents and grandparents as well. The only "warning" I would give anyone considering this school, is to keep in mind that it is a smaller private school, and they truly need the support of the parents to run and grow bigger. I believe this is great for the students because it is truly a village raising our children, and the children get the better end of the deal because of this partnership.

Posted November 10, 2013

My son attended NCA for 5 years and for the most part, I thought he was getting a good education. Now that he's no longer there, I see differently. I feel the school is definitely lacking in science and technology. No science lab and broke down computers in the computer lab. Most of the time, the homeroom teacher taught computer lab and the students and teacher learned together. I'd give them an A for Bible/Religion. During the 5 years that my son was there, communication was always a problem and never seemed to get better. When ever i had a compliant about anything (a teacher, aftercare, students) I was always given a compassionate ear but no results. At times (most), I felt like NCA is all about the $$$. Which is ironic considering the staff in the finance office is the most incompetent EVER! Every month there were issues with my account and I always paid on time. I would have credits and debits that didn't belong to me. Every month I would bring my receipts because i knew there was gonna be a problem that i'd have to prove. Not to mention the occasional accidental email blast going out to All regarding a family's account. There are public schools better than this.

Posted November 4, 2013

No computer lab, no TEACHER accountability, basketball coach should NOT be coaching young men, and I too wondered where the practice of christianity was across the board at NCA. Class sizes around 9 to 11 students and some kids have to take online classes due to teacher's incompetence, apathy and laziness!!!

Posted September 9, 2013

My Children love this school! After having a terrible experience at St. Phillips, I put my children at NCA. My children love it! I have never experienced rude staff at this school. So I find the other comments quit interesting. I do feel they have room to improve their academic rigor and sense of urgency for higher achievement. i hope this will improve by the time my children get to middle school.

Posted July 15, 2013

enrolled my child in the Summer Enrichment program after receiving a stellar review from one of my associates; 2 weeks later, I started to experience issues with the staff. I have never experienced a more unprofessional, unorganized staff in my life. Nor have I ever experienced a staff so willing to punish a child for what they (mistakenly) perceive the parents error to be. I will never understand why it is acceptable to pull a child out of class on the assumption that the parent has paid tuition late. Just a little effort would reveal that the check is indeed in their possession and no drastic action need be taken. The only rationale given is that most new parents in the past have proven to be late or unreliable with tuition payment. This is the second time this has happened. I am truly disgusted. My advice to parents: pay in person, pay with a debit or credit card, do not mail in checks... not even with you banks Bill Pay option.

Posted June 20, 2013

I have read the previous reviews and while I agree with some of the comments, I believe the school has greatly improved. No school will be perfect. I have two children enrolled in Middle School and elementary. The Middle school does have room for improvement, but I have found that if you ask the teachers a question, they will respond and you can get problems resolved. A lot also depends on the kids that attend as well. My 5th grader had a phenomenal teacher in Mrs. Smith, he was actually excited about going to school and would talk about what he had done that day. Any school that puts that amount of excitement in my child is great with me.

Posted March 8, 2013

I am not sure where the "Christian" came from in the name of this school. It is not a very friendly environment at all. It seems like their interests are put ahead of the children's needs and their deceision making process for handling operation issues always lead to the child being negatively affected. I think this is the worst private school in the area if not the East Coast.

Posted February 20, 2012

I think that this school is great for education. The teachers are just amazing in their ability to teach their children. The problem is that most of the students want to baby fed for the rest of their life so when the teachers take away some of the help the students get really mad and tell their parents that they are not "learning" anything.

Posted January 21, 2012

My child has attended NCA for four years. The level of professionalism and dedication to the education of the students has declined over the years. I don't feel like my child is learning but just being tested for grades. I want my child to be prepared and strive for excellence, but very few staff members posses these qualities. Especially my child's current teacher who is very unprofessional. she's never prepared with lessons and testing and her time management skills are horrific. The school's management will not do due dillengence and evaluate their faculty,so that a standard of excellence can be achieved. As long as you pay your tution the school will accept mediocre educational performance from your child. Because there's no standard of excellence for the faculty or students , I don not recommed this school. Waste of time and money.

Posted March 23, 2011

My grandson attends this school. It has provided an excellent foundation for him both spiritually and academically. His teacher, Mrs. Bridges is excellent. The teacher sends home a red folder, yellow folder or green folder, the parent has the responsiblitiy to review and keep up with the assignments. The folders contain all pertinent information from homework assignments, grades, upcoming events etc. From what I seen, signs are vividly posted which annouces the school activities and events. For us, this school was the right choice for him and a blessing for us.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Andrew C. Stewart
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Church of god
Fax number
  • (301) 567-7438

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious