Waverley Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 561 students

Posted May 30, 2014

I absolutely have loved this school. My child attended her entire elementary school years at Waverley and it has been a wonderful experience. The amount of time and energy the teachers and staff put in goes above and beyond what anyone could hope for. Ofcourse there may be a few complaints you could find but overall this is a 5 star school. It is very diverse and has the staff readiness to ensure your child a great learning environment with any special needs they may have. I have walk down the halls to take my child to her class room and a staff member was playing the guitar and singing greeting all the kids. Some of the staff and teachers have been there for over 20 years with so much experience. I could go on and on about this school. It is not just a school it becomes an extended family to your child. You will not be disappointed. Great job Waverley!!!

Posted December 20, 2013

Best elementary school you will ever find. Teachers and staff are the absolute best. My child has attended here 3-5th grade and the positive change in him has been 200% from where he was prior. I wish this school offered K-12 because I don't want him to leave here. I love this school

Posted June 11, 2011

This school is a great school. Everyone here goes over and beyond to make sure the students get what they need to succeed! All of the staff are friendly and informative.

Posted August 20, 2009

Great school. My three boys were lucky to have attended this school. They learned respect for their teachers as well as for other students, and the teachers really care about the students! We love this school

Posted August 13, 2009

I think this school is great...dedicated staff, small class size..I'm so glad my son goes here!

Posted July 1, 2009

I just want to say despite of what people have said that this a poor school because of the area and had me worried to death, this has been the best thing in the area! We had the opportunity to deal with Mrs Denton, Mrs Owens (pre k) and Mrs Haslam, Mr Risigno (K), they were outstanding. The only bad thing about moving from the area is leaving them behind. Great PTA as well. Our family will miss you and will miss the great support you gave our kids. The teachers there and staff definitely need all the support and appreciation from us parents! God bless all of them and their hard work!

Posted March 9, 2009

We LOVE this school! Teachers and staff genuinely care about their students. They are encouraging and go beyond to make sure their students are ok. Academics are good as well. My daughter was approved for the magnet program but she is challenged academically here and she gets so much more than just academics I couldn't fathom changing her. She didn't want to go either. Definitely one of Frederick's greatest schools!

Posted February 26, 2009

This is an older elementary school (1969) that succeeds because it inculcates old school values. Children walk throughout the hallways; any disrespect shown toward an adult is not tolerated; there is an atmosphere of family that begins with the teachers, specialists, custodial staff...and works its way all the way down to the students. I have volunteered regularly for over one year...last year, one of the teachers was actually once the student of her colleague. Teachers go out of their way to ensure the social, physical and academic well-being of the children. There is a 'Reading Night.' The only problem that I see is that I have never had even one positive interaction with the front office. No 'hello' or 'can I help you?' The teachers pick up the slack, though, toting materials all over the building. Specialists are prompt and help kids in need. What a place!

Posted February 18, 2009

My kids attend this school for the past few years and at first it seemed like a nice and homley school once everyone gets to know you, you feel like part of the family until each year with budget cuts and tryouts with asst principals it starts to get to you where you arent sure who is going to be around. This school needs alot of changes that would in include admin staff minus the assistant principal. One of them should be the principal they seem to be more involved with the progress of the school . Don't get me wrong the principal is very passionate about the school and how its doing but, lacks visibility as well as connecting with the students, parents and staff of the school you dont see her at school functions. Front ofc should be more professional and friendly and competant. All and all need overhaul!

Posted August 19, 2008

Waverley Elementary gets a perfect 10 from myself and my family. We love the staff members at Waverley. Waverley Elementary is our exteneded family. We wouldn't dream of sending our children anywhere else.

Posted July 9, 2007

I always said when our children were ready for school I was going to home school them due to all the problems in our school systems today but we moved to the Waverly school area right before our oldest was ready for K and since my husband and his siblings attended Waverly I decided to send our children there and I am thankful every year I did! The teachers that taught my husband and his siblings are all still there and teaching our kids. Being a very involved Waverly parent I can tell you first hand that we are all a family from the students and thier parents to the staff even down to the janitorial staff its a huge family and to us its no differant then homeschooling! We love Waverly!

Posted October 6, 2006

I recently transferred my son to Waverley after the Catholic school he was attending wanted to fail him in the second grade. I was hesitant to send him here since it had a reputation for being a 'failing' school. However, when I called and spoke to Mr. Anderson the new Assistant Principal, he made every effort to make sure my son would receive the help, if any, he needed. From taking the initiative to attend the IEP meeting, without knowing if I would send my son to Waverley, to checking on him after the school year started. In fact, everyone at Waverley has made an effort to keep me informed and my son happy as well as challenged at Waverley. It is because Mr. Anderson made the effort that I choose to give up my slot at another school. I look forward to a successful year for my son.

Posted June 11, 2006

After relocating jobs and needing to find a good school for my daughter who at the time was in 1st grade we moved to the Waverley Elementry Area. Let's just say Parents continue to stay on the ball with Teacher Communication. Since my daughter has attended Waverley I as a parent have never met the principal (Ms. B. Nash) or BN as what I see comes home on my daughter's school newsletters and etc. The Asst Principal is very caring-Mr. Hench from day one took my daughter and walked her to her new class and understood that this was a major transition for her being that it was in the middle of the year. Her first grade teacher is okay, but you have to make sure there is communication. She is real laxed and knows her job. But lacks communication skills. You find out about things after the fact. NOT Cool!

Posted November 22, 2005

When my family first moved to the frederick area 10 years ago i was a little hesitant about sending my daughters to waverley. It had a reputation as the 'poor' school. I decided to give it a try and see for myself what the school was all about. I was floored at how wonderful this school is. Many of the teachers have been there since the school opened over 30 years ago. I've never seen a staff works so hard to always do what's best for their students. I honestly can't say enough positive things about this school. It just goes to show, you can't truly judge a school based on the amount or types of diversity of the families that attend.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

71 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

74 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 79%N/A42%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

201 Waverley Dr