Whittier Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 13, 2013

Whittier school was much better off a year ago with the previous Administrators. I felt that they at least understood how to develop and teach the whole child. I have two children with severe special needs and this year has been the worst elementary school I have ever experienced. It was as if the school changed over night. I have five children from highschool to kindergarten and I am very familiar with education for young learners. I have had to fight every inch of the way for someone to listen. Even when I confront administrators and teachers of something they said or did, they deny I believe to keep the child progressing(even though they really are not) and possibly to save their jobs. There is one pre-k special ed teacher that actually does an excellent job. That's why I stayed on another year in hopes that it would continue. My children were failed in multiple ways.

Posted June 4, 2013

To add to my last review... I think the education is pretty spot on with what students in K should know. My son went from reading a few words here and there to reading an entire library book on his own. He understands simple math problems which I am very impressed by. I do wish they would have more sight words than just 40 for the entire year. We are very much hands on at home so I'm sure that helped as well.

Posted May 1, 2013

This school is simply wonderful. We moved to that subdivision just for this school and we are NOT dissapointed at all. My daughter get solid and loving environment and we could not be happier with the school. I would like to also add how wonderful, funny, friendly and calm the principal is - please keep up the good work. We love it.

Posted November 22, 2011

My started pre-k here this year and she's doin amazing I used to pay for her school but she wasn't learning anything so I switche her to Whittier and what a huge improvement. The teachers are great she loves it. Whittier is awesome!!

Posted April 2, 2011

My son has attended Whittier Elementary since Kindergarten and he is now in 4th grade. We have found the teachers to be excellent and extremely caring. He was struggling with his reading and comprehension last year and received extra instruction through their targeted reading program. This year he is reading at grade and is much more confident in his writing skills. We are very pleased with the education he has received at Whittier.

Posted March 25, 2011

We are a military family and I decided to give this school a try, rather than home school my son. I was not impressed with his kindergarten, and found the pressure at such a young age to be amazing. My son asked to home school for first grade but I felt the problem with kindergarten was the teacher and not the school. I was right. His first grade teacher is fantastic. My son now loves to go to school and his reading has really improved without all the pressure. All in all just like anywhere else your child's education is as good as the teacher they have.

Posted November 10, 2010

The school has a loving family environment from special needs children to military enlisted parent children. Everyone is a huge family with different backagrounds!

Posted October 10, 2010

The Administration and Teachers work extrodinarily well together, displaying and practicing true teamwork! They are very empowering to the student body, and very communicative to parents. An outstanding school and amazing Principal, Assistant Principal, Staff and Teachers.

Posted January 26, 2010

Whittier is a great school with alot of diversity. The children learn to accept and embrace diversity. The staff and leadership are great. They strive everyday to make all children feel accepted. I love to have my children here at this school.

Posted January 25, 2010

I have 3 children that attend this school; one has a learning disability and another sees the speech therapist. This school is absolutely fantastic. Due to the military this is the 3 school my children have attended and the best so far. My children are excelling in this school. Everyone here is very friendly and the teachers really care about their students.

Posted August 28, 2009

Whittier is a fantastic school. My daughter has been attending this school for 4 years now and we have been very pleased! She loves school and each and every one of her teachers! I cannot complain about any one staff member at Whittier! I thank every person in that school who has dedicated themselves to teaching my child in every way! Way to go Whittier!!!

Posted May 6, 2009

I have been a Whittier parent for two years now. When it comes to this school, it's all about who your child receives as his/her teacher. Whittier has many wonderful, caring, and excellent teachers that will teach your child no matter what level he/she is at. Unfortunately though, this varies greatly from teacher to teacher. There does not appear to be a very good teacher mentor program in place to help all of the many young inexperienced teachers. The school leadership, I feel, needs to help these young teachers more in terms of lesson planning and teaching to the different levels of learners. The PTA does it's best to provide extra-cirriculars, but struggles to find volunteers... so many programs end up just not happening. While this school has a lot of heart, it is lacking in follow-through.

Posted February 18, 2009

My kids are very unhappy at this school. This is the 4th school they have attended due to military moves; yet, it is the only school they have dreaded going to. My oldest daughter begs me to move her to another school. The administration is friendly but lacks the integrity and leadership needed to run a school of this size. Children are allowed to bully other children and then get lectures. This is the worst school we have been involved in. Appearances may fool you. There are some good teachers, but without the discipline of the top levels (principle) it is useless.

Posted July 16, 2008

The school is fairly good. The teachers generally take an interest in the kids; however, some of the teachers a bit young and are a little self absorbed. The school tends to take drastic actions when a typical childhood injury happens (e.g. no tag after a kid skinned his elbow).

Posted May 22, 2008

My daughter is in Kindergarten and we have been very pleased with this school. She has a great teacher who doesn't keep the kid's at the top of the class bored. My daughter has enjoyed being challenged this year. The PTA, principal and staff are wonderful as well.

Posted May 13, 2008

I have two children at Whittier and love the school. The new administration is fabulous and the support team is amazing. The PTA goes above and beyond with extra activities.

Posted May 7, 2006

We are military and this is the 4th school my son has attended since he started Pre-school. This school has all of the resources you could ask for and good teachers, however, it's too concerned with testing scores and not enough with the kids. My son loved every school he went to until this one. He went from being upset if he missed a day to wanting me to homeschool him (even though he has many friends and is well liked). Each night he comes home with 3-14 books to read (I'm not exaggerating). His homework that is supposed to take 15 minutes, usually takes an hour (and his teacher tells me he is the brightest in his class). This school shoves reading down kids' throats, so they look good at test time. Kids get a good education, but at the expense of learning to love to read and learn.

Posted February 7, 2006

My son has a hole in his ear drum and had alot of health problems when younger. He is in Kindergarten and I agree that they do not know what to do with kids that need help. His teacher has been telling me he is going to need to repeat kindergarten as well. I am thinking of changing to private schools.

Posted January 24, 2006

I would love to talk to the parent in the previous review. I had to pull my child with special needs out of this school. They had no idea how to deal with Special Education students. I am still fighting FCPS and would love to hear from other parents with problems at Whittier. Nothing will change until parents step up and fight for their kids rights. My email is Shellhutch@aol.com

Posted August 21, 2005

If you are a parent of a child with a disability be prepared to fight with this school. They are very laxed in their approach to an exceptional child. It took many IEP meetings before this school admitted my child was in need of services. My advice is to document EVERYTHING, as teachers will deney everything in IEP meetings in order to save their job, and check out wrightslaw.com. Make sure you get all test scores from any testing the school does. They actually held back test scores in my case and being I never saw a report before, I didn't know what I was missing. Also, outside evaluations are necessary, so get them. Your entitled to an Independant evaulation. Get it or pay for your own. Your child has a right to FairAndAppropriateEducation. But they will not get an one without a fight at this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

>=95%
Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2400 Whittier Dr