Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Agree

I believe that the current Administration has effectively "practiced what they preach"! Not only do they expect the students to be honest and fair, but also the staff.

My experience with the Administration and most of the staff has been fantastic. They seem very driven to want to improve and have a keen focus to helping the students be the best they can be. Like every school, Monocacy Middle has its issues, but I don't encounter these on a regular basis.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Our experience has been that most of the teachers are effective but there have been a few less effective ones.

Develops character: Agree

Our experience has been that most teachers and staff model these traits and expect them from the students.

We have been involved with Monocacy Middle School for five years. We were initially apprehensive about the school because of negative publicity that was always the focus when Monocacy was discussed. But we were pleasantly surprised. The majority of the teachers are highly motivated and engaged with the students, just like you find at any school. The majority of the students are good kids, just like you find at any school in Frederick County. The key in any learning environment today is a connection between the school and the home. Monocacy administration and staff are welcoming to parent involvement and many parents/guardians are engaged in their students' education. There are always some unfortunate situations and bad apples who create a negative environment. The administration is very committed to minimizing the impact and frequency of these incidents. The diversity of the school population is representative of the real world and my kids have benefitted from being exposed to the diversity. The school offers many clubs such as Chess, Engineering, Math, has a very active theater arts department, wonderful band program, and many more. The PTA is totally active and involved in supplementing what the school offers, generating funding for field trips, visiting authors, International Night and much more. The negative press has hurt Monocacy and the press and the community has not given notice to the great things the school has to offer. I have never regretted sending my kids to this school.

First of all. Are you really going to listen to a STUDENT on this forum? They are TEENAGERS for crying out loud! As a parent that has come through both Monocacy Elementary AND Monocacy Middle, I can honestly say that these schools have some of the most wonderful, caring staff and support you will find at FCPS. Listen to me people - PROPER PARENTING is the single most important start to any child's education. There is good and bad at EVERY school. Yes, Monocacy may have a diverse population/median household income level, but if you PAY ATTENTION to you child's education, they will thrive! If your child has learning/behav issues, PLEASE help the staff address them. DON'T just let the school be your babysitter! STEP UP AND PARENT! We personally LOVE the school(s). SO many during/after school clubs (chess, engineering, theater, arts, STEM, sports, community service activities...) and so many opportunities for enrichment (collaboration with FCC and Career Tech/College Prep - both right across the street). STAFF just needs parent support! It starts at home! They should not have to discipline/raise your kid. The rest of our children are excelling...quit whining and ENCOURAGE your child to work hard to get great grades! It's time to put back some work ethic in today's youth. No more handouts. Imagine trying to do your job while kids are walking around the classroom, texting, being disruptive, etc. Those kids OBVIOUSLY have parents who don't value education. Luckily, those kids are yanked out of class. In addition, I think the diversity of this school has taught my children about the world. They are not in a bubble in some private school, only to get out in the real-world and have to deal with all types in society. MONOCACY IS GREAT! Don't listen to the naysayers! : }

I think some of the staff try really hard to make a difference but there is not enough caring staff members to make a difference with the type of diversity they have. The bully issues are out of control for one and too many bad apples and not enough staff to stay on top of it. Parents need to do better raising their children so I can't blame the school for that. My child is in a 504 plan which requires teachers to work a little harder but some don't. Some teachers I feel just really don't care. If you are not a star student with some of these teachers, they will just give up on the child and that is not acceptable. The homework club is a joke because the kids don't get the support needed. Boys and Girls Club is ok but wanted my child to get some help with homework and that wasn't happening. When the staff member running the club found out my child had bad was struggling and had bad grades, she embarrassed my child by telling all the other kids so that was the end of that. We had nothing but issues so I am not a happy parent. I do not recommend this school at all. I don't Frederick offers much in the way of middle schools so we are planning to move. I wish the good staff members the best of luck trying to make a difference.

Develops character: Disagree

I think some of the staff try but many don't care and don't follow through.

I am quite surprised on the reviews for Monocacy. I wish more parents would go on here and review this great school. Ofcourse like any other middle school there is a bad crowd ofcourse but the staff does a great job managing it all. I have a son here and was very uneasy with all the negative reviews, but I have been very impressed this year. They have an engineering club,chess, club,debate team, spelling club and the list goes on. The testing scores are low at this school but given the diversity of the school and many children that are learning English isn't that to be expected until they get caught up which they eventually do. Monocacy won the Samsung of Tomorrow challenge for their trout program and won 20,000 for their school recently. I was very nervous about the transition of middle school but the teachers have been awesome correspond daily weekly via email with tests coming up concerns etc. The counselors work very hard to address any problem. So please check the school out first before you make opinions about it. It is a very tight knit community that cares for our kids. With over 700 kids parent involvement is critical to your child's success. Great Job Monocacy staff!!

This school kicked me out because i was not the best behaved student but the teachers never helped they have some good ones and some bad ones i was showed how to do the work they gave us a packet and told us to do it and if you talked back they kicked you out of class there are gangs and drugs in there school too

Last modified Monocacy Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.