Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Like all schools, some are good, some aren't so good. It is a roll of the dice. The administration decides classroom assignments and due to overcrowding, changes cannot be made.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework assignments are fair, but like all schools in the county, testing is valued to an unrealistic degree. "Meeting the metrics" matters more to the district than students' well being. This is a larger issue that the school cannot fight alone.

TMES is a good school, but there are underlying problems that will only get worse. The school is overcrowded, so resources are strained. The teachers, administration and staff are good, but there is not a lot they can do most of the time because making a change in one class means sacrifice in another. There is a core group of parents that support the school, but they too are being asked to do more every year without more support. TMES is the overlooked sibling by the rest of the district. They are not the most overcrowded in its cluster, so it gets placed second. They do not have the most disadvantaged students in the cluster, so they get placed second there too. As a result, it is often overlooked and has to do with just getting by.

I have a child on his third year going to TMES I love this school, love the teachers, principal, administrative staff, etc. My son has an IEP due to a language disorder and ADHD and the teachers have been great with him. The staff involved in the IEP meeting are always looking his best interest at heart. Mrs. Nazzaro is a very nice principal who always smiles but you can see she is firm when she needs to be. I am trying to stay as long as I can where I live just so my son can keep going to TMES.

TMES is a great school. At the moment, I have one child enrolled and my youngest will attend next year. This year, my child completed their first year. This school is everything that I expected and more. The principal, faculty, and staff are approachable and engaging. There are numerous opportunities for parental involvement. Additionally, there are several activities throughout the year sponsored by the PTA. For parents with a busy lifestyle, the onsite Bar-T program is amazing. My child doesn't want me to arrive early because Bar-T is that amazing! If you are undecided about schools, TMES is a great school!

We have our two kids currently in this school The teachers are very involved with parents and kids and their professionalism and commitment makes a good impact. School is clean and very well organized. Office staff are welcoming, efficient and great with the kids. Mrs. Navarro, the principal is very involved and take seriously any concerns that parents might have and always look for a good solution!

We love this school! My 2 kids have been at the school the past 5 years and we are sad that next year will be our last at TMES as both kids will be at Ridgeview Middle School in 2011-12. Please disregard the 1 bad rating from several years ago as that was a DIFFERENT school under the old, horrible principal. Principal Nazzaro is excellent and really has turned the school around. The experience with both principals has taught us the importance of strong leadership. The parents are very involved through the PTA and volunteering in the classroom. I can't say enough good things about the school and have trouble finding negatives. In fact, for a Cub Scout activity, the boys had to survey parents and ask the good and bad points about their school. We had trouble coming up with many areas of improvement.

TMES is much better and more kid friendly than Rachel Carson. Principal Nazzaro is wonderful. The teachers are great. My daughter loves this school. This school can be characterized as a local school that is not too big and not too small. There is an active PTA that is great and has a surplus of funds this year! The environment is nice and peaceful tucked away in a valley surrounded by beautiful homes; where you would not even think there would be a school. Coming from one of the top school districts in the county, MN District 196, this school is above par. Kudos to the staff and teachers.

I have had children in this school for five years and the experience has been excellent. The teachers and staff are outstanding and are invested in the success of their students. The curriculum is advance, though tailored to the individual child to ensure that they not only learn, but are engaged in the process. We are confident in the current leadership who are readily available and interested in the day to day lives of the students. We have close friends with children at other schools in the area and are confident that our children are receiving an exceptional educational experience.

I have two children at Thurgood Marshall and am entering our third year with the school. There is a very inviting and supportive community of parents and teachers. The curriculum is advanced and the teachers are very committed to ensuring that I as a parent am aware and involved in the educational advancement of my children. Parents are encouraged and invited to volunteer and be a part of the classroom experience. The extracurriculur activities offered are varied amongst sports and educational clubs. I have been told that there were a few issues with the principal that ran the school several years ago but the PTA fought hard for change and a new principal was hired. It is because of this new principal that the last few years have been so pleasant at the school.

Last modified Thurgood Marshall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.