Gaithersburg, MD

Posted September 05, 2014
I have a child on his third year going to TMES I love this school, love the teachers, principal, administrative staff, etc. My son has an IEP due to a language disorder and ADHD and the teachers have been great with him. The staff involved in the IEP meeting are always looking his best interest at heart. Mrs. Nazzaro is a very nice principal who always smiles but you can see she is firm when she needs to be. I am trying to stay as long as I can where I live just so my son can keep going to TMES.

Posted August 23, 2013
TMES is a great school. At the moment, I have one child enrolled and my youngest will attend next year. This year, my child completed their first year. This school is everything that I expected and more. The principal, faculty, and staff are approachable and engaging. There are numerous opportunities for parental involvement. Additionally, there are several activities throughout the year sponsored by the PTA. For parents with a busy lifestyle, the onsite Bar-T program is amazing. My child doesn't want me to arrive early because Bar-T is that amazing! If you are undecided about schools, TMES is a great school!

Posted August 16, 2012
We have our two kids currently in this school The teachers are very involved with parents and kids and their professionalism and commitment makes a good impact. School is clean and very well organized. Office staff are welcoming, efficient and great with the kids. Mrs. Navarro, the principal is very involved and take seriously any concerns that parents might have and always look for a good solution!

Posted May 10, 2010
We love this school! My 2 kids have been at the school the past 5 years and we are sad that next year will be our last at TMES as both kids will be at Ridgeview Middle School in 2011-12. Please disregard the 1 bad rating from several years ago as that was a DIFFERENT school under the old, horrible principal. Principal Nazzaro is excellent and really has turned the school around. The experience with both principals has taught us the importance of strong leadership. The parents are very involved through the PTA and volunteering in the classroom. I can't say enough good things about the school and have trouble finding negatives. In fact, for a Cub Scout activity, the boys had to survey parents and ask the good and bad points about their school. We had trouble coming up with many areas of improvement.

Posted January 22, 2010
TMES is much better and more kid friendly than Rachel Carson. Principal Nazzaro is wonderful. The teachers are great. My daughter loves this school. This school can be characterized as a local school that is not too big and not too small. There is an active PTA that is great and has a surplus of funds this year! The environment is nice and peaceful tucked away in a valley surrounded by beautiful homes; where you would not even think there would be a school. Coming from one of the top school districts in the county, MN District 196, this school is above par. Kudos to the staff and teachers.

Posted June 25, 2009
I have had children in this school for five years and the experience has been excellent. The teachers and staff are outstanding and are invested in the success of their students. The curriculum is advance, though tailored to the individual child to ensure that they not only learn, but are engaged in the process. We are confident in the current leadership who are readily available and interested in the day to day lives of the students. We have close friends with children at other schools in the area and are confident that our children are receiving an exceptional educational experience.

Posted August 12, 2008
I have two children at Thurgood Marshall and am entering our third year with the school. There is a very inviting and supportive community of parents and teachers. The curriculum is advanced and the teachers are very committed to ensuring that I as a parent am aware and involved in the educational advancement of my children. Parents are encouraged and invited to volunteer and be a part of the classroom experience. The extracurriculur activities offered are varied amongst sports and educational clubs. I have been told that there were a few issues with the principal that ran the school several years ago but the PTA fought hard for change and a new principal was hired. It is because of this new principal that the last few years have been so pleasant at the school.

Posted April 18, 2008
I'm not sure where the February 11, 2006 poster is coming from, but he/she certainly isn't talking about Thurgood Marshall that my children go to. We live within walking distance of the school. The school and the community are wonderful. There have been minor issues, as with any school, but overall we couldn't be happier with security, services, leadership, the children, the principal AND the facilities. We are involved in PTA, sports, scouting and more. TMES is a core part of our lives. As to the claim that people are looking to move out of the because of TMES...I'd encourage you check your facts. As integrated as we are with the faculty and parents, we've never heard this claim/concern from anyone. TMES is a solid school and environment.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2007
The principal is engaging and enthusiastic. Safety does not seem to be a concern any longer. The new gym looks great and new playground equipment is coming soon. Two of the 3rd grade teachers are pregnant which will make continuity for the kids a challenge this year.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 4

Posted July 26, 2007
I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader. We have a new principal that has been at the school for one year.She is fabulous!The school is wonderful. My children have always had great teachers.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School
12260 McDonald Chapel Dr, Gaithersburg, MD  20878
Last modified Thurgood Marshall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thurgood Marshall Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top