Diamond Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted June 18, 2014

I reviewed this school in 2009 and talked about how good it was. This school is just one of a kind. The teachers are outstanding and the parents are very active. This school is more than just a school--it is a home away from home. Our teachers have been very responsive and caring. The principal and vice principal outstanding. You could pay for a private school but you won't get a better education.

Posted June 18, 2014

I've been a student a Diamond from 1 though 5th grade (Graduating this year). The the teachers are amazing. I have never had a teacher that I have disliked. Also the PTA (Parent Teacher Association) never lets the school high and dry. All the grade picnics, field trips, patrol picnics, and field days are well organized, and everyone helps. There are also many assembles though out the year. Anywhere from music and gymnastics to magic shows, there is never a dry eye in the house. The school library has anything from history books to cartoons. They also have a book suggestion box, and unless the book wanted is inappropriate, they always order it. I am sad to be leaving this school and the teachers. It has left my with high expectations for my upcoming schools.

Posted May 2, 2014

The teachers work together in teams to ensure that everyone is on the same page - their collaboration is key! My child has THRIVED here, and the staff and teachers are wonderful. The PTA is top-notch, and the community is an integral part of the Diamond team. Unity is very important to our children's success, and Diamond has an abundance!

Posted April 9, 2014

This is a great school and I am happy that my daughter is going to this school. Great teachers, activities, My daughter love the school and the teacher .

Posted April 4, 2014

Three MCPS teachers have won the Veteran Teacher Award from the Marian Greenblatt Education Fund (2014) and are now finalists for the MCPS Teacher of the Year Award. One of the recipients is Kathryn Hageman of Diamond Elementary School. Everyone in our neighborhood love this school.

Posted March 11, 2014

Diamond ES is the epitome of a successful well-rounded multicultural school. DES serves the learning needs of nearly 640 students in 2013-2014 with diverse learning needs, socioeconomic backgrounds and abilities. Its administrative staff is constant, seasoned and a well-rounded team that grounds the school and drives superior academic performance of its students. All four of our children have attended the school; our last will graduate this spring. The level of teaching and learning demonstrated at this school is both impressive and lends to a pride-filled community for the wonderful school that we have. Parents are very involved, but many more could and should be, which is the sole reason why my rating was not 5 stars in that category. We have not experienced a poor teacher in all the years we've had our children enrolled at Diamond. I cannot say enough good things about our experience, however, our enrollment does - I believe - do the speaking for its wonderful reputation. We will sorely miss you Diamond!

Posted October 8, 2013

This is a great school and I am happy that my son is going to this school. Gr8 teachers, activities, parent involvement. My son happily goes to school, talks good about teachers.

Posted August 8, 2013

As a First Grade parent, I could not be happier with EVERY aspect of this school. We were welcomed with open arms from day one. The teachers, the staff, the parents, the PTA, EVERYONE works together to ensure our school is excellent. We have a very diverse population and that works to our advantage as well. My kids have learned so much about other cultures, it's amazing. It's just a wonderful place for my kids to go each and every day.

Posted January 22, 2013

Diamond Elementary has a mostly top-notch team of educators. Unfortunately, our experience with the one bad kindergarten teacher in the school has left us with a very different experience than our neighbors are getting. Despite the complaints of numerous parents in our child's class, the School has admitted that it is powerless to remove the teacher until the "process" runs its course. On further review, we found that the "process" can take up to two years-ouch! Furthermore, the school has refused to move any of the children because it would start an exodus and she already has the smallest class. As with other parents in our class, we are now sending our children to local learning centers to ensure they keep pace with the children in the other classes. Now, good luck getting her out of there when all of her students are passing because their parents won't stand by and let their children fall victim to the politics between the school leadership and the teachers union. We aren't taking any chances next year and are moving out of the area. No point paying Montgomery County taxes when you can get the same level of school district accountability anywhere.

Posted April 17, 2011

My association with the school has been extremely pleasurable. The staff and teachers are wonderful. They go an extra mile to ensure that the children do well academically. There is also a lot of emphasis on the child's emotional growth.

Posted March 10, 2011

My 2 childrean are attending this school. The teachers are very friendly and other parents are very supportive to PTA. The school focuses on academic aspects and shows a very good result.

Posted May 20, 2010

My 3 children have been attending this schoo.The teachers and personal in general are very profesional and very sensity about cultural. My children love Diamond as well as my husband and me.

Posted April 9, 2010

This is an amazing school with the the creme de la creme as far as staff goes!

Posted September 18, 2008

I have had 3rd garder and kindergardner in Diamond ES. While teacher are fine the principal is not doing a good job of involving parents in school activities. PTA is not well organiazed

Posted August 25, 2008

my son has had an amazing experience. The principle could be president of the united states- she is on top of everything. She is amazing with the parents and the staff. I wold rate Diamond Elementry a 10

Posted July 23, 2008

I see a lot of difference , (better ofcource) in my child when we moved to Diamond ES.

Posted January 16, 2008

Diamond is as fine of a school as they come. The curriculum is challenging and fit to meet the needs of all learners. The principal is excellent and there is constant professional development for staff members. We have lots of parent involvment in the building.

Posted October 25, 2007

As a parent have never been more satisfied with a school, its principal, the environment and of course the teachers. They have an accelerated grading system and the children are constantly motivated to do their best, class work and home work is challenging. There is a good involvement of parents in their childs progress and the staff/principal are accessible and receptive. It is no wonder that they are a top ranked school and am glad my child goes there .

Posted September 23, 2006

I agree with all the reviews here. Diamond is a great school and learning is greatly emphasized here. My child went from a Montessori school to Diamond and I can see the difference in my childs love for learning (which is very exciting to see). The teachers follow a very set plan for each day and lessons are well planned. This school has great resources, including the arts and music classes that allow the child to explore various areas of development and encourage extra curricular activities. Lastly, the principal and the teachers are first class. Parents are encouraged to stay involved in the school and the PTA is very active. This school really is Gaithersburgs best kept secret!

Posted September 6, 2006

DES is one of the best in the area, the teachers are dedicated and the students are challenged to do their best. I moved here from the Mid-west and its made an enormous difference to my child's progress academically as well as in extra curricular activities.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 38% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4 Marquis Dr