Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted June 11, 2016
I feel that Fields Road is an underappreciated school. The teachers at our school are wonderful: attentive to students, going the extra mile when necessary and are ready to listen if there is an issue. The para-educators are focused and also are there to help our students succeed. As a parent at this school from 1st grade and up, I have had the opportunity to work with many of the staff and have always had a positive experience with all of my childrens teachers. However, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the review from May 19th. I have had the opportunity as a parent to work with the Media staff. I have shelved books and worked at the Book Fairs every year my children have been at FRES. I was surprised by the comments made. I am wondering if the parent ever spoke with the Media staff about this issue? The staff are approachable and are willing to work with parents. I have been there when parents have come in and the staff have listened and been attentive and have worked with these parents to make their childerns experience positive. I can also attest to the condition of the library books from a shelving perspective. Yes, some of the books are worn, and put together with tape and glue, but the students can't wait to have these popular books back on the shelves. In talking with the staff, the budget is not what a parent might think it is. Fines are collected and books are purchased from these fines so that students have the materials that they need and want. A lot of the books are purchased at the Book fairs. I have also been there during checkout and the policy is that if you have a late book, you cannot check out. While I cannot put myself in this parents shoes, I just felt that I needed to give my perspective.

Fields Road Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2016
My child's classroom experience has been great, and we adore the staff. Yes, my child got bullied and pinched by a classmate in Kindergarten, but learning how to deal with difficult people is an important skill to have. My child got through it and has had a positive experience at FRES since. I rate my experience at FRES 1 star because there are NO quality control practices in place in the media center for the library books. Be forewarned that the media center staff do not take tattered books out of circulation (by design perhaps to increase library funds?). They will allow your child to borrow a book that looks like it went through a tree shredder. If your child was the last one to touch a book that was already in horrible condition and the pages fall off the binding when she returns it, then she will be suspended from borrowing more books, a letter will be sent home, your child will have a miserable rest of the day, and you will have to pay for the original value of the book. Don't get me wrong; if my child were one to destroy and desecrate library books, then I welcome the fines. It's only fair. However, my kids respect books and are avid readers. Yet we were fined and my child humiliated because media center staff have dismissed any responsibility to check the condition of the books upon return. As added bonuses, the fine came out of our school fundraising budget, so FRES missed out on some funds from us that year, and my child skipped some fundraising social events. My lesson from all of this is to look over the condition of the books the day my child brings them home and immediately return them to the media center if the condition is questionable/ not acceptable. My wish is for the media center to establish improved fundraising strategies and have a better quality control system in place.

Posted October 12, 2015
I am a huge fan of Fields Road ES. We have been here 4 years and think it is the quintessential neighborhood elementary school. The kids learn kindness and respect with purpose. The teachers are energetic and are always smiling. I also love the families we have met. Lots of friends I hope will last a lifetime.

Posted October 30, 2014
Fields Road is a hidden gem of a school! great mix up Kids The kids and Parent are amazing! The teachers are excellent and really nurture the students offering extra help where needed and with para-educators there to help as well. It is a warm and nurturing environment with a really active PTA

Posted May 19, 2014
My childeren have gone to this school for a long time and guess what they loved it ! I think that the rating should really go upI am very happy that my kids go to this school

Fields Road Elementary School 1

Posted September 16, 2012
I had my kids in Fields Road since Pre-K, at first things were great but over time I noticed little things that I didnt pay much attention to, and didn't think much of it. Then the phone calls starting coming about behaviors my kids were displaying. To my surprise, these behaviors were not consistent at home with what I was being called about. It seemed like , there was always more to the story than what I was being told. My kids were being overlooked and not heard, disrespected many times by their own staff. (Might I add that my kids are mixed Latino and African American.) Whenever we addressed any situation that didn't sit well with us, it seemed like the staff along with the head administrative personnell needed time to get their story straight before meeting us. When we had questions about the way certain things were handled, they were quick to throw my kids under the bus. Overall the last few yrs at Fields Road was a headache to me and my kids. They no longer looked forward to going to school and I didn't blame them.

Posted September 14, 2012
Only after moving to other place do I realize that Fields Rd ES is an excellent school for education. The principal is great. The teachers are great and helpful to challenge every student. If I could, I'd be willing to transfer my sons back. I really miss this school. Thank you, Fields Rd.

Posted September 26, 2010
Fields Road is a hidden gem of a school! This is the 9th year I will have a child there. The kids love it there! The teachers are excellent and really nurture the students, offering extra help where needed and with para-educators there to help as well. It is a warm and nurturing environment with a really active PTA.

Posted September 15, 2009
Great teachers, great curriculum, great spirit, great kids!

Fields Road Elementary School

Posted January 03, 2008
Fields Road has offered my child an amazing academic path. He is reading two grade levels above his own and they have him working with a private reading teacher a couple of times a week to motivate and keep him moving forward. I didn't even need to ask for this. His teacher is exciting and involved with the students. I couldn't ask for more.

Fields Road Elementary School
1 School Dr, Gaithersburg, MD  20878
Last modified Fields Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.