Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

I have had two children at FRES and both have had wonderful experiences! The teachers are warm, loving and very in tune to each individual student and their academic and emotional needs. The PTA is very active and helps create a strong community feel!

I have had two children at this school and they both have had positive experiences. The staff has been supportive through a variety of typical issues that arise with kids and the teachers have been amazing.

My son is in his 5th year at FRES, and we have been so impressed with every teacher he has had!! We feel that most of the teachers and staff go out of their way to give the education and emotional support our kids need. Overall, a very welcoming and competent environment for kids!

I am a long time parent at Fields Road with one child still currently at this school. Up until two years ago I would have given this school 5 stars, but the change of principal has very negatively impacted this school. Many of the teachers are good or even excellent and very clearly care about their students, but the administration has gone downhill. As a parent I receive almost no communication from the school making it hard to keep track of simple things such as picture day much less more important events such as parent information nights. The past administration used to send a weekly very brief newsletter detailing upcoming events. The new administration sends something perhaps once a month, which is not enough. The former principal used to interact frequently with students and parents through simple things such as helping out front during arrival and dismissal on a daily basis. She also was front and center at the majority of school and PTA events making sure everyone kept a respectful tone. The new Principal is rarely visible and school events have devolved into more chaotic and less respectful affairs. There also seems be very little quality control or oversight of substitute teachers. Some of the substitutes are very good but others are very rude or even insulting to the children and despite repeated parental complaints they continue to work with the students. The playground time is rife with bullying ranging from simple insults to very nasty name calling and physical assault. The solution to this problem too often is taking away items for the kids to play with outdoors and making recess less fun and so perpetuating the cycle of bullying since there is less for the kids to do. The kids need more supervision and more activities to keep them busy. The front office itself is unwelcoming. It is very hard to gain access to the school to pick your child up for a doctor's appointment or other reason. Often you can spend up to five minutes just waiting to get buzzed into the building and then rather than feeling welcomed you feel as if you are an unwanted interruption. I very much hope that the new administration improves and brings back what used to be the welcoming, communicative and warm tone of this school.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Principal Williams is a tireless advocate for her students. We're fortunate to have her!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Enough homework to ensure students get good study habits -- but not too much that we never see them after dinner.

When looking for a house in the greater Washington region, for the right school, we specifically targeted this Gaithersburg neighborhood to attend FRES. And we are incredibly pleased with the decision. The school leadership goes out of its way to include parents (PTA) and community leaders in the success of the students. They're doing it right.

I have had two children go through Fields Road Elementary. The teachers and staff are dedicated and caring. The PTA is active an insures thatvthe kids and staff are supported. Our family has had overall great experiences at FRES.

Fields Road is a hidden gem. Class sizes are small for the MCPS system in the lower grades, 16:1 - 20:1, the teachers really care and are amazing with the kids, and the administration is great and engaged. The teachers and staff listen to the parents and genuinely have the interest of our children at heart.

I feel that Fields Road is an underappreciated school. The teachers at our school are wonderful: attentive to students, going the extra mile when necessary and are ready to listen if there is an issue. The para-educators are focused and also are there to help our students succeed. As a parent at this school from 1st grade and up, I have had the opportunity to work with many of the staff and have always had a positive experience with all of my childrens teachers. However, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the review from May 19th. I have had the opportunity as a parent to work with the Media staff. I have shelved books and worked at the Book Fairs every year my children have been at FRES. I was surprised by the comments made. I am wondering if the parent ever spoke with the Media staff about this issue? The staff are approachable and are willing to work with parents. I have been there when parents have come in and the staff have listened and been attentive and have worked with these parents to make their childerns experience positive. I can also attest to the condition of the library books from a shelving perspective. Yes, some of the books are worn, and put together with tape and glue, but the students can't wait to have these popular books back on the shelves. In talking with the staff, the budget is not what a parent might think it is. Fines are collected and books are purchased from these fines so that students have the materials that they need and want. A lot of the books are purchased at the Book fairs. I have also been there during checkout and the policy is that if you have a late book, you cannot check out. While I cannot put myself in this parents shoes, I just felt that I needed to give my perspective.

Last modified Fields Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.