Gaithersburg, MD

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 27, 2015
Non existent! In order for children to retain the information they receive at school it must be reinforced with homework. I am not saying 50 sheets a day...but at least something... This school has a no homework policy so essentially nothing is reinforced and nothing is retained... after a summer he literally forgot everything he learned in the third grade because no work was given by the school to reinforce what was taught during the school year.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
Negative... stealing, bullying, fighting, pushing, name calling... enough said...and to make it better my son was made fun of because one he is white, two he is not overweight and three because his mommy had a job!

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted August 27, 2015
I cannot honestly answer that... His teacher seemed compassionate; however, educating children is significantly thwarted with a policy of no homework because the kids have enough to do at school

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
Kids are allowed to bully other children with no consequences. My child had his food taken from him in the cafeteria, beat up on the playground and things stolen from him... nothing happened to the other child...

Posted August 27, 2015
I moved to Gaithersburg after being told that Montgomery Co. Schools were among the best in the state... Needless to say I am very disappointed in the education or lack thereof that my child received in his time at GES. NO HOMEWORK POLICY are you serious!!!! My child has had homework since Kindergarten and I place him in this school in the third grade thinking he will receive a quality education. I could not be more wrong.. No spelling words, No homework of any kind...oh but he did get bullied and beat up... fabulous. I have since moved to a school that has homework and a much better great schools rating... I can only hope that the damage done by the lack of education in his third grade year doesn't leave permanent damage as I attempt to correct the damage done by GES.

Posted January 26, 2015
This is a horrible school .. the only positive thing I can think of is if you teach/prepare your child at home, maybe the child will get into magnet program easily as there will be little or no competition from within the school and may get a good recommendation.

Posted January 06, 2015
This school is horrible!! Coming down from Northern VA, my expectations were clearly high in regard to my childrens education. On the first day of school my 7 year old daughter comes home to tell me her teacher told them; her class will NOT be having homework all year round...how is this even possible!I went to an open house to observe how my kids were being taught, all I saw were these apperantly "nice teachers" who kept screaming at the children with no rational reason, not to mention a teacher did not let a student go to the restroom (we're talking about kindergarten here) During lunch the teachers let the students go on their behalf to the cafeteria while they chatted away and enjoyed their lunch. I can go on with a bigger list of incidents at this school...Overall my kids have been here for less than a year and I am extremely unsatisfied. I'm not sure who hires these so called "teachers". They really need to step up their A game and actually start teaching these students something!

Posted September 10, 2014
My son as been in this school since preschool, it's a great school with friendly and knowledgeable teachers.He is doing great academically and making friend's, there is no place we will rather be but G.E.C.

Posted November 23, 2013
Great, dedicated teachers. All three of my children had great experiences. The principal is wonderful and caring, and the school is cheerful and bright.

Posted November 03, 2013
We couldn't be happier with the education and care our children have gotten at GES. The principal, Stephanie Brant, is smart, caring and helpful. Almost all of the teachers we have dealt with have been terrific. People sometimes ask me how my kids do at GES -- they are blond-haired, blue-eyed boys in a school that's very multi-culti. The answer is: They do great! We value the diversity and appreciate all that our boys learn about other cultures. I do wish there were more ways for parents to get involved, but that's not a huge issue. My involvement has been welcomed, and I've been as involved as I can for a working mom. Also, one of my sons has a learning issue, and the school was so helpful in finding him resources and creating an IEP. In short, we're thrilled with GES.

35 North Summit Ave, Gaithersburg, MD  20877
Last modified Gaithersburg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gaithersburg Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top