Gaithersburg Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 656 students

Posted April 5, 2013

It is a great school with excellent teachers. The fact that it offers Foreign Language as additional subject is great.

Posted June 8, 2010

I personally think gaithersburg middle school was okay. The only problem I had going there was that they DIDN'T enforce the dress policy to everyone. I coudn't were shorts or a tank top because I had "to much to show" & "it would be 'distracting' to others" but then when another person who (not to be mean) had less or nothing came along they could where ANYTHING they wanted and they would say absolutley nothing to them. & When my friend & I went to say something they wouldn't do anything about it. They would just push it aside as if it didn't matter. Other than that though, it's a very good school. Like the person below me said... Security was GREAT. (:

Posted December 20, 2009

I loved gaithersburg middle. i went their last year, the teachers were great and they were always there to help out. Security was awsome to. I miss my old school. I woold like to go back. Class of 2013~!~ :)

Posted September 12, 2009

The building is very old. I know this because one of the teacher's said that she went there. However, it's a great school and everyday I wanna go back.

Posted June 22, 2009

I found that as a minority parent, you don't have the same quality of treatment as some of the non-minority parents. Teachers tend to believe 'let them fail' to learn how to turn in assignments on time ( and become independent). Also, if your child has a 504 plan, forget about getting help from the counselor. I had to demand a meeting several times before I finally had one. After about a month following the meeting , there was no follow up with my child on helping him to stay organized and help with turning in assignments on time; consequently, my child ended up with bad grades. I feel as though when a student has failed, the teachers/staff/leadership has failed to meet the student's needs. This school's ratings should be a negative 1.

Posted May 30, 2009

I loved Gaithersburg middle school I thougth it was a exellent school.

Posted September 9, 2008

I love where i go to school. I go to school at Gaithersburg Middle School. why our teachers care about what grades we get. the care if something happens. they try there best to take care of every sigle one of us. I love my school because we have character. like responsibility,citizenship,caring,respect,fairness,trustworthiness.

Posted November 11, 2007

Poor quality leadership. The student body is full of gang issues and behavior problems. Leadership changes frequently. Building in poor condition and security staff is not acceptable. The teachers are low quality and the good ones get out when they can more to another school in a better area. Stay away from the Bridge Program.

Posted May 22, 2006

Quality of Education is great! Diversity of the school has worked great for success.

Posted May 17, 2006

I have been at GMS for 3 years and still amazed at how close the staff is and how active the parents are. I still don't understand where the 'bad'rap came from for this school. The kids are awsome, the parents want the best, and the staff is out-of-this world. I would have no problem sending my kid to this school.

Posted May 16, 2006

great diversity along with good academics

Posted January 16, 2005

I would like to say that I think GMS was a excellent school. My daughter received an excellent education and was a honor roll student throughout her years here. For some reason GMS has a bad rep where people seem to feel this is not the school to have your children attend, but they are wrong. I was very happy here and so was my child. The staff was great. I have no problems sending my son here next year. I feel he will get the same education as someone going to a down county school.

Posted September 9, 2003

When I arrived in Montgomery County I was steered away from the area we moved into because of the school districting. I think realtors in Montgomery County should attend Gaithersburg Middle School and stop perpetuating perhaps an old stereotype that a school rich in diversity is poor in educational potential. I love the administration at this school. Middle school will never be problem free, its human nature that children in these turbulent years will have issues arrive, but the staff at GMS handle everything professionally and effectively. I've never seen a school administration so open to input that will help them improve the school. I can't ask for anything more. I am happy to be a part of the GMS community and encourage parents that have heard anything negative about the school to come see for themselves.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

216 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

214 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

238 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

220 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

220 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

217 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• French

Health & athletics

• Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages taught
  • French

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2 Teachers' Way