Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Well, let's start with when I first came to GHS. I didn't feel welcome, at all - ignored and taken for granted actually. The teachers - honestly! It was said that all they want to do is to get to know you more and build a strong relationship with the intention of paving one's path to college. Wrong. It's as if the teachers weren't THERE as the vice principal reassuring the students of what would least likely happen. I'm disappointed by everything. I feel so sad when I see a hallway full of students who dress to go to a club not a business-like environment. My sister, an alumni of GHS, agrees that times have changed since she graduated more than a decade ago. I cannot stress enough how those who are thinking about going here should think differently - aim for schools in more affluent parts of Montgomery County, for example, Bethesda. Chevy Chase more specifically. I felt so lost and quite the opposite of welcomed going to that school. I won't begin to discuss the statistics. Just be careful.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

They put directions on the Promethean board and you just do it. If the teacher is in a good mood s/he might elaborately explain what you're supposed to do and ACTUALLY pause lone enough for students to be able to ask questions.

Amount of homework: Agree

It's just fine. I take advanced classes so I'm not really sure what people taking on-level classes get. But I think it should be a bit more challenging yet exciting.

I have 2 children who go to Gaithersburg High. It's a large school with a new, beautiful facility and sports fields. There are a large variety of classes and plenty of AP and Honors classes to choose from. I have found most of the staff to be extremely responsive and dedicated to the students.

Gaithersburg is a great school. Its a great learning atmosphere. Students and teachers are great and supportive of one another for the most part. Despite all of the bad rumors from the past, the new school has changes the spirit of everyone and Gaithersburg has become one of the best schools in the county in my opinion.

Gaithersburg High School is 37% Hispanic. At last evening's Back to School Night Hispanic parents were overwhelming ABSENT! Most of those attending were parents of black students (27% of the student population and the greatest representation was from white parents which represents only 22% of the students attending GHS. This is an amazing facility with everything a child needs to learn. In fact, if you can't learn in this environment and from these teachers, it is probably your own fault. What we can't do is make parents more involved. What a shame.

Great school! My son has had excellent teachers and classes. Plenty of advanced classes offered! to meet the needs of all students.

Best counselors ever! They take time for each child they counsel, and really. talk with them, and the parents. Best teachers - they keep senior year interesting and challenging! Best principal - positive attitude that exudes throughout the school. She sets the tone for success in the school.

At first I thought Gaithersburg High School was a great school for my child. Yes there's kids who graduate but there's a high rate of drop outs in this school. They don't really give you the help you ask for. I have been asking for help and I even wanted a screening on my child but they thought that wasn't the right desition. If my child and know what's right for my child why would they deny my request. So if they wernt giving me the help I needed I tried to transfer my child to a school that well actually give my child the help he needs but Gaithersburg isn't trying to let my child go and now there saying that I never asked for help.

My review is based on two kids at GHS - one graduated in 2012 the other will graduate in 2014. I have never encountered such a bunch of uncaring and disengaged teachers in all of my life. Only about 20% seem competent in their subject matter or teaching at the secondary school level. AP classes are a joke and dumbed down. Certainly not preparing students for college. The school was satisfied with my son's performance as long as he wasn't one of the students involved in the daily fights, fires in trash cans or gang activity. Took a couple of years of private tutoring to get my son ready for college - GHS teachers - no help. Lazy instructors. School now overrun by ESOL students with the result that the teachers have low academic expectations of the students. Current facility is an embarassment. I have to apologize to my kids for sending them to this school. I noticed no award winning teachers in the last decade due to lack of leadership.

Last modified Gaithersburg High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.