Posted September 11, 2014
Gaithersburg High School is 37% Hispanic. At last evening's Back to School Night Hispanic parents were overwhelming ABSENT! Most of those attending were parents of black students (27% of the student population and the greatest representation was from white parents which represents only 22% of the students attending GHS. This is an amazing facility with everything a child needs to learn. In fact, if you can't learn in this environment and from these teachers, it is probably your own fault. What we can't do is make parents more involved. What a shame.

Posted January 24, 2014
Great school! My son has had excellent teachers and classes. Plenty of advanced classes offered! to meet the needs of all students.

Posted September 26, 2013
Best counselors ever! They take time for each child they counsel, and really. talk with them, and the parents. Best teachers - they keep senior year interesting and challenging! Best principal - positive attitude that exudes throughout the school. She sets the tone for success in the school.

Posted June 26, 2013
At first I thought Gaithersburg High School was a great school for my child. Yes there's kids who graduate but there's a high rate of drop outs in this school. They don't really give you the help you ask for. I have been asking for help and I even wanted a screening on my child but they thought that wasn't the right desition. If my child and know what's right for my child why would they deny my request. So if they wernt giving me the help I needed I tried to transfer my child to a school that well actually give my child the help he needs but Gaithersburg isn't trying to let my child go and now there saying that I never asked for help.

Posted December 06, 2012
My review is based on two kids at GHS - one graduated in 2012 the other will graduate in 2014. I have never encountered such a bunch of uncaring and disengaged teachers in all of my life. Only about 20% seem competent in their subject matter or teaching at the secondary school level. AP classes are a joke and dumbed down. Certainly not preparing students for college. The school was satisfied with my son's performance as long as he wasn't one of the students involved in the daily fights, fires in trash cans or gang activity. Took a couple of years of private tutoring to get my son ready for college - GHS teachers - no help. Lazy instructors. School now overrun by ESOL students with the result that the teachers have low academic expectations of the students. Current facility is an embarassment. I have to apologize to my kids for sending them to this school. I noticed no award winning teachers in the last decade due to lack of leadership.

Posted November 04, 2012
Great school. My daughter graduated from GHS in 2012. I have been more than pleased with the attentiveness given her by the teachers and administrators. When we moved from the Richard Montgomery cluster, I was concerned that she would not flousish. Additionally, I'd heard negative things about the school and it's students. What I experienced was 180 degrees opposite from what I'd heard. The disciplinary problems were no worse than those at Richard Montgomery. My daughter completed three years and with the encouragenment of GHS maintained good grades and is now in college on a scholarship. do yourself a favor and drop by to see for yourself what's happening at GHS. The principal Dr. Christine Handy Collins has turned the school around. Trojan Pride is on the Rise.

Posted November 01, 2012
My daughter attended GHS in 2011 and I was very unhappy with it. A large number of students have no intention of continuing on to college and some are only putting in their time until they are allowed to quit. I know the school can't control this but all the same it is not an atmosphere that I want my children to be in. My daughter complained of science labs that couldn't be completed because of misbehaving classmates, fights on a daily basis, teen pregnancy, etc. We received a recorded call before the PSAT was administered urging students to attend school and even resorting to prizes for attendance just to get the students to take the test. The few times that I was in the building the security guards did their jobs of signing people in but it was not at all a welcoming atmosphere, I almost felt like I was just an annoyance to be dealt with. I understand that if you take the AP or honors courses you can get a very good education but my daughter is not honors level in every course. She should be able to get a good education in the regular classes. Her motivation to succeed started to disappear. It seems that this school is for honors students and non-students, not average students.

Gaithersburg High School 3

Posted June 16, 2012
I graduated at GHS 1n 1984. It was a great school then. My oldest daughter graduated from GHS in 2010 and she took adventage of a good education and going to college now. My middle daughter just finished 11th grade and I am very dissappointed. Culture has changed and there are less and less kids who really strive to succeed. I will not be sending my son there in one year and will be moving to another state instead.

Posted December 22, 2011
Three of my children attended GHS since 2000. All of them excelled in academics with the help of their teachers. Each was able to pursue interests in sports, art, music, and business. Each took advantage of the AP and Montgomery College courses offered on campus. While the facilities were lacking in the past, a new building is under construction.

Posted August 08, 2011
I will be entering the 10th grade this year at Gaithersburg High. What I hate the most is not the school itself, but it's reputation. Before kids even know the school, they're always saying that it's the "ghetto" school with a bad education; I, myself, used to think that, but I have experienced otherwise. I emplore you to visit the school website and see all that this school has to offer; there are many AP classes (amount fluctuates yearly) and the teachers are great [meaning: for the most part, they're pretty fun, but they know when to "lay down the law"]. The only bad part is how we [students] will have to adjust to the new construction that is currently going on. Other than that, it's a great school with many academic opportunities at hand. As well as supporting counselors that encourage students to try out for scholarships and things like that. If someone tells you that the school is bad, maybe they're only reffering to a student they know or heard of that isn't very...reputable I suppose.

Gaithersburg High School
314 South Frederick Ave, Gaithersburg, MD  20877
Last modified Gaithersburg High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gaithersburg High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top