Posted July 03, 2014
Re: concern regarding the administration, there will be a new vice principal starting in 2014-15 school year. Our experience w the administration and staff has been overall positive. We have experienced nothing but cordial and helpful responses to our questions.

Posted June 09, 2014
Time for a change in leadership. When my family first moved to the Whetstone area, Great schools graded it a 6. Its now a 3 and based on my experience with the school, I am not surprised. The administration writes off the poor results on the local population mix and rationalizes away their results rather than doing anything innovative. Until there is a new Principal, this school will continue the direction its going. Great schools - can you get lower than a 1?

Posted April 04, 2014
My children have attended this school for four years. Every teacher they have had has been EXCELLENT, and the administration actively works with parents.

Posted August 22, 2013
My son completed Kindergarten at Whetstone Elementary and is gearing up to start 1st Grade in just a few days. We were beyond satisfied with his teacher last year. She provided all of the support that he needed in order to thrive, was extremely responsive to our correspondence and genuinely cared about every single student in the class. We are happy and proud to be part of the Whetstone family and look forward to this next year and those that follow!

Whetstone Elementary School 5

Posted September 21, 2012
I Love this school and My child love this school. I don't have any issues with this school.

Whetstone Elementary School 5

Posted June 03, 2011
I didn't have space to clarify my comments about the standards based grading and reporting before. This system evaluates students on a scale of 4, 3, 2, 1 instead of the traditional A, B, C, etc. It has been piloted by Montgomery County in some of their elementary schools. As far as I know, Whetstone did not have the choice as to their participation in the pilot program. I think the A-D grading system provides better input for parents as to how their child is doing and how they compare to others.

Posted April 26, 2011
There are very caring teachers, but they alone cannot make up for poor administration and unhealthy pressure and obsession over numbers rather than if a child is succeeding or failing. My child had to transfer from Stedwick; I was sad for her to transfer and my experience with this school makes it very apparent my sadness was founded.

Posted November 30, 2009
I really like my son's kindergarten teacher and think she is a wonderful teacher. But I don't think some of the children are challenged enough. I feel as though my son is being held back from his full potential. I have to agree, the office staff can be very rude.

Posted June 12, 2009
I have to say that I absolutely love the teachers, but the administration is one that is to be questioned and concerned about. My daughter is in first grade and has been struggling all year with reading issues. Becaue her grades are not bad enough the county will not test her although she is falling behind and they are now ttrying to put her at below grade level reading when her only issue is the fact that they rush the children through their testing. I love th teachers and think the office staff is rude, and the administration all the way around could really use some better peopl skills and show some more concern for he each child. I want to know my child is with people who truly care about her wellbeing and with the administration I do not feel that at all. Its all about the numbers.

Posted August 25, 2008

Whetstone Elementary School
19201 Thomas Farm Rd, Gaithersburg, MD  20879
Last modified Whetstone Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whetstone Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top