Germantown, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted September 25, 2014
My son started at this school as a Preschooler and it is a warm, nurturing and active environment that kept him challenged and happy. He is now in 2nd grade and it is wonderful to know that he loves learning and exploring with his classmates. It has been my experience that while the public schools in the area are highly rated, they are not able to give individual attention, which allows students the freedom to explore in-depth topics that interest them. Seneca Academy has a unique advantage of allowing each child to grow through their curiosity and enthusiasm for learning. I feel truly blessed to be part of this educational community!

Posted September 18, 2014
Spectacular school Our daughter was being ignored in public school since she was a good student, but introverted. She really shines in the environment at Seneca Academy. Her potential has been unlocked!

Posted September 18, 2014
Great school. I have noticed a positive change in my daughter since she enrolled. She used to be shy and withdrawn but now tells me she is talking and participating in class

Posted June 24, 2013
My child just finished kindergarten, and had a wonderful experience. The curriculum is developmentally appropriate, creative, and to me, really what a kindergarten should be. It has a wonderful mix of history, art, language, movement, music, crafts, and physical activity. Nature blends in perfectly with the class curriculum. For example, the class incubated chicken eggs, observed changes, watched them hatch, recorded observations, then sent chicks back to the farm. With 2 teachers for 16 students, the kindergarten teachers were easily able to provide differentiated instruction. School, teacher, and parent communication were excellent. There is a nice variety of afterschool activities, although no organized sports teams. The only true drawback for me is that the school does not have a real gym. But overall, my child is looking forward to 1st grade and beyond.

Posted September 19, 2012
I just attended the Parents School Night yesterday, 9/18/2012. After hearing what Dr Carroll and what my son's 1st grade teacher does in her classroom, We, as parents, are so glad that we made a right decision for our son to attend the Seneca Academy. We really like what they (staff and teachers) believe in terms of teaching kids in the element school level; yes, the results are important; however, the class as a participant(s) in the learning process is so crucial to kids for their future. The Seneca Academy does that... If you have any doubt, any one can check the school out his/herself by visiting and talking to Dr Carroll and others.

Seneca Academy 3

Posted February 27, 2012
My kid was in Seneca Academy from the 1st grade to 6th grade. What I think is the teachers do not buy in the IB program, so the program completely varies from class to class. They take in any teacher who takes a less pay, so my child found that the class students have to first adapt to the teacher's style first in order to understand and follow what the teacher is teaching.j It is aloso very frustrating , that the teachers do not have training in the IB program, and it is a hard curruculum to integrate without training. Another major issue is Math, their math program is, Everyday Math and it barely completes the regular elementary math curruculum, let alone challenge the kids. We had to supplement at home a lot. It feels like the PTA is only there for nick and dime parents for funds. I wish the school takes it seriously about hiring competent teachers who can handle the curriculum better and understand kids better. All the teachers we've had were not trained. Hope this helps.

Posted February 01, 2012
My husband and I are struck daily at the change that has occurred in our daughter since her return to Seneca Academy for first grade. After trying public school for 8 weeks, we knew that the crowded classes and uninspired homework assignments, were not working for our daughter. The light and joy that had always filled her at school was dimming. She wasn t happy to get up in the morning anymore. After a few weeks, she would stare at the photo taken of her Seneca kindergarten class and cry. At first she would talk of missing her friends, but that evolved to descriptions of missing something much bigger. She said she missed singing songs in class, she missed counting the days of the school year on Mrs. Hauck s bubblegum machine, she missed the sandbox and the gazebo and the playground. She missed Seneca Academy, and we did too. Now back at Seneca, she is happy, confident, and full of breathless enthusiasm. The gratitude that I feel to the school for welcoming us back so warmly is immense; but even more than that, I m thankful that a place like Seneca exists and that we are fortunate enough to be able choose it for our children.

Seneca Academy 4

Posted November 17, 2009
I have had 3 kids in this wonderful school. I currently have one in 2nd grade and she is really enjoying the hands on learning. My other two are in all honors courses and on the honor roll in their middle school. I feel like Seneca Academy prepared them for greater challenges that come with being in a public school. I know that Seneca gave them a wonderful sense of who they are and to do whatever they want without being laughed at or singled out. Seneca has no bullying or bad lanquage. I don't think they have any behavior problems at all. The teachers are the best and getting better under the new head of school who is revamping pay and benefits. It is now a International Baccalaureate for primary years and this is wonderful in the framework it brings to the school and provides extra training for the teachers.

Seneca Academy 3

Posted November 15, 2009
I went to this school from 6th-8th grade and i have to say i have mixed feelings about this school. Some teachers could of been much better than others, while some were just fine. This school didnt really do all the much for me at least. After you leave Seneca you get a big reality check especially if your moving on to a high school or a public school. The school does not do a good job on preparing kids to move on to high schools or other middle schools. For younger students in elementary school, this is a fine school for them to attended. On the other hand those who are in middle school, i think you should think about going to a different school. So in all this school is better for those in elementary school...trust me.

Seneca Academy 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Seneca Academy and The Circle School shines in its enthusiasm for learning. It is a small school with wonderful individualised learning and a large sense of community. I love the teachers, the staff and the total environment.

Seneca Academy