Germantown, MD
Students enrolled: 1,036

Spark M. Matsunaga Elementary School 3

Posted November 20, 2014
Overall the school is great. The only thing is that they give the students way too much work. They expect that their work is finished by the specific date and if it's not finished, the student will get a bad grade.

Posted April 05, 2014
Excellent school and safe environment. The teachers and principal are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. My older child especially benefited from the best teachers right from kindergarten onwards. Enriched curriculum that rivals magnet programs. Hi-tech classrooms. Opportunities for social development and volunteer work. Absolutely love this school! Attended the magnet school orientation and I think Matsunaga is superior to that.

Posted November 26, 2013
I have had three children go here and it is an amazing school with a wonderful principal and administration and very down to earth and caring teachers. As a teacher in the county and having taught at two different schools under two different principals, there is no one like Mrs. Brubaker as the principal. My kids love it there and even with 1000 + students, it feels like a small community. Love the front staff - they will go that extra mile for the child.

Posted September 24, 2013
A great school. We are very quite satisfied with the school. The teachers of this school are great and quite accessable, they take extra effort ot see their students perform well. This is all possible under the able leadership of a energetic and friendly principal. Keep up the good work.

Posted August 01, 2013
I did a lot of school research before deciding on moving to this Matsunaga neighborhood. The diversity of the students, the dedication of the principal and teachers, and the friendliness of the front staff is more than what we could have asked for in an elementary school. I have never met a principal of this caliber and am amazed by her energy. She is accessible even though there is a significant study body balances communication gracefully between teachers, parents and students. My son's teacher challenged him and kept the lines of communication open with us as parents. My son definitely matured during his first year and benefited from the disciplined and structured environment. He just completed kindergarten there and although he learned more from an emotional and social development point of view his first semester, he definitely was challenged academically in reading and writing second semester. The PTA is superb here and the parents are down to earth.

Posted February 29, 2012
My daughter is in K. She wants to go to school 7 days a week. She is on reading level 16 now. The teachers there are the best. They spend a lot of time working with kids.

Posted June 13, 2011
My daughter attended Matsunaga K-1st and she is always happy to go to school. Matsunaga is a great school, great academic performance, strong leadership, responsive teachers and caring administrative staffs. The teachers are very attentative and they really work with students to meet the individual child's need. The on-site before and after school child caring program is very convenient, safe and fun for the kids. We are more than pleased with Matsunaga. 5 stars!

Posted January 26, 2010
We relocated here last summer & before we settled we interviewed 12 principals & viewed 14 schools on the MD side of the beltway. This school was hands down the best! The leadership is outstanding! The teachers teach to each child's individual ability & are very caring. The PE, Art & Music teachers are all top notch & highly qualified. The PTA is very active & offer several extracurricular activities & school functins weekly (ie. foreign language programs, school break activities and several fundraising programs). Parent volunteers are encouraged & welcomed daily throughout the school. My two children have attended the school for half a year & they love going to school. We have been very impressed with the diversity of the classrooms & the special ed programs. The Great Schools Rating for this school is way off and not valid in my opinion. This school is the best!

Posted August 26, 2009

Posted June 02, 2009
My daughter attended Matsunaga K-1st, and as the other family (who Posted March 29, 2009), we moved to California as well. Now almost a year later after comparison I just want to say that Matsunaga is a great school, great academic performance, plenty excellent extra curricular activities, and strong leadership (especially the Principal) The school my daughter is attending now is rated by GreatSchools.org 10, while Matsunaga only 8 - Don't be fooled by this, In my opinion, Matsunaga at least should be rated 15 by comparison. (you know what I mean.)

Spark M. Matsunaga Elementary School
13902 Bromfield Rd, Germantown, MD  20874
Last modified Spark M. Matsunaga Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spark M. Matsunaga Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top