Bad
Good

Posted April 24, 2015
What makes SKR great is the staff. They are the most caring teachers, admin, and support staff you will ever find. I cannot believe the patience they show not only with kids, but with parents who often blame teachers rather than consider how to best solve a problem. I have two children who both did very well at SKR. One has severe ADHD and many challenges because of it. Her teachers worked with her and us to find solutions to problems. They were proactive and I credit them with helping her get over many social and academic issues, all without her every needing any special plan for assistance. In other words, they never HAD to address her ADHD issues, but they did so anyway. My younger child did so well at SKR that he was accepted into and moved into the magnet program. The staff at the magnet was nowhere near as wonderful as SKR. We almost moved our child back to SKR repeatedly and looking back, I wish we had. For those who look at test scores, I need to inform you that SKR has a K-5 Learning Center. The test scores from these classes get grouped into the school, so they will bring down any school's scores. Ignore them and look at the teachers. They are amazing.

Posted May 21, 2012
My son only went to Sally Ride for about 2 months... However, he learned more in those 2 months than he did at Brookhaven for the rest of the school year. Back in Sally Ride, he use to come home and tell me what he had learned, words I didn't even know the definition of sometimes. At brookhaven, he tells me he played with his friends outside, then I would say "and... what did you learn" He replies I don't know... every time. I'm not bashing Brookhaven, I'm sure they're a great school and there isn't much of a bullying problem like I noticed in most other elementary schools, plus the staff involvement is excellent, but I feel that they can push more with the learning.

Posted November 01, 2011
This school is the best school ever! Teachers are very friendly . Principal is very kind and vice principal is soo good to everyone.

Posted August 03, 2011
two of my sons have attended this school, I have been very involved with their learning and the PTA. I love the teachers and principals, they do an amazing job! the principal knows the name of all 550 kids and is very accessible both to the kids and their parents, the only thing that concerns me is the teachers aids, building services and lunch ladies... they are the stereotypical MEAN people. I've had to talk to my kids about how to handle that sort of behavior. Other than that, my children have grown so much, they are both at least one full grade level in math and english and are very excited about learning and being challenged, that I think is priceless!

Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School 3

Posted July 06, 2011
Negative behavior (bullying) is bound to take place because the children are not kept busy and as a result their minds are definitely going to wander! I am also waiting very patiently for the last three years for the test results to show some improvement, but every single year the results have been disappointing.

Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School 1

Posted June 30, 2011
This is a terrible school that has big problems with bullying, the teachers who are ignoring kids when they are complaining about the bullying. Most of the bullying is going on in front of the teachers. So the teachers just act like they don't see or hear anything.

Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School 4

Posted August 14, 2008
The school building is fairly new so aesthetically it's very nice. They do offer opportunities for kids who are gifted to receive special instruction (a middle school teacher came to SKR each day to teach a separate math class). However, when my daughter went to a MCPS magnet school in 6th grade, I was told her writing skills were not as good as they could be. The middle school teacher stated that students coming from Sally Ride often lack in English/writing skills. Make sure to talk to your child's 4th/5th grade teachers if you have a GT or advanced student to make sure they are being taught more than just 'basic' writing skills. Hope this helped. :)

Posted February 17, 2008
My daughter goes to this school, great teachers, great new principal, ect.. my daughter is doing better than ever this year, no complaints here! My son who is now 18 went to Sally Ride in th 5th grade and it was the best elementary school he ever went to.

Posted October 06, 2007
I have no doubt that next year at this time that the school rating 4 out of 10 will be a much better number. Sally Ride has a new dedicated and determined Principal who cares a great deal about the school and students. The PTA is also excellent and has many good ideas on how to motivate our kids. I forsee good things for this school.

Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School
21301 Seneca Crossing Dr, Germantown, MD  20876
Last modified Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.