Glen Burnie, MD

Posted June 16, 2014
This school is not a quality program. Our child attended this school for two years and we were very pleased the first year with our daughters teacher and program. This year the school retained a new principal that has not been consistent with addressing issues that the school has currently. Our child was bullied and we reached out to the school in the beginning of the school year to have it fall on a deaf ear. The bullying continued throughout the year with no intervention. The school plays favoritism to students that have other siblings in the program or belong to the church. I would not recommend this school.

Posted May 28, 2013
After reading through the comments, there seem to be some misconceptions. "The teachers at the school don't have any degrees in teaching and not certified to teach. Most of the teachers were students at the school or attend the church. They do not have any teaching experience." is an absolute false statement. The Archdiocese of Baltimore has made sure that each teacher is certified or will be certified by 2015. Most teachers at Slade have their certification and many have Masters degrees. If not, they are working on completing the certification. Saying the school does not have a curriculum is another false statement. The school follows the curriculum outlined by the Archdiocese of Baltimore and that curriculum is current with the national standards. My children both went to Slade, were average students, and were extremely prepared for high school. They have both said that they can identify Slade students in their high school classrooms because they are well behaved and ready to learn.

Posted March 02, 2013
This is a really good school, definitely worth the money. The staff really cares about the success of each child, and if they see anyone struggling, they use all their resources to assess the needs of the child to get the kid back on track. They just really want everyone to succeed. I am also impressed with the strong community of families at this school. We looked at other schools but were turned off by the cliquish atmosphere created by the families. Our experience at Slade has never been anything other than absolutely welcoming.

Posted February 23, 2013
Please visit for yourself and see what Slade has to offer. It IS a caring environment with teachers whom are not only certified but also holding or pursuing Masters Degrees (and beyond). In one of the instances addressed below (the reading sign), I happened to walk in to the classroom that same day and the "a" had fallen off of the wall mid-day. Kudos to the teacher for continuing to teach and fixing the sign after school. I am sure the parent would have been upset had the teacher stopped class to repair the sign. As far as the curriculum goes, each grade has a specific curriculum they follow and Slade would not be an accrediated school if they did not. There is a bullying policy in the Parent/Student Handbook which is strictly followed. The library is one of the largest in the county private schools and is not only organized but also computerized. Schedule a visit and see for yourself.

Posted February 21, 2013
Real courage is standing up for what is right, not posting something anonymously on a web site. If people have issues, they should address the source. Spending time on dealing with issues instead of posting negative comments on a web site is infinitely more courageous (and emotionally healthy). Everyone has a different perspective. If any one of these former students had brought their concerns to the administration/teachers in a positive, intelligent way, they may have a different perspective. You cannot change another person, but you can change how you deal with them. Be the better person. Stop ripping apart something just because things didn't go your way. People are generally treated with respect when they treat others with respect. If names were permitted here, I WOULD post my name. Support your school and your teachers and I think you'll find they will support you, too.

Posted February 17, 2013
My granddaughter attended Slade for kindergarten. During my open house visit, I was disappointed by the classroom appearance and reading lesson. The word reading was displayed on a classroom banner spelled: reding. The lesson was on blends/sounds at, cat, however, theprepatory reading was unrelated and did not include these phonic blends. The teacher reported there is no curriculum to follow. School climate is negative beginning with the principal and assistant principal at morning drop off. While waiting outside locked doors for the Christmas program it began to rain. A family had entered the building with a teacher. The Assistant Principal briskly escorted the family with young children back out into the rain. When trying to report a possible bullying incident, the response from school faculty was: "there is no bullying here". During the librarian's lesson the children drew on a paper plate then retrieved a book from an unorganized bin. This teacher used gender groupings. The principal was unavailable to discuss parental concerns. Teachers are not highly qualified and lack of rigorous instruction was evident in both settings witnessed. I would not recommend this school.

Monsignor Slade Catholic School 4

Posted February 06, 2013
My children attended Slade and my friend's children attend Slade. No school is perfect but Slade offers a good education. I find that if parents communicate with teachers if they have concerns, complaints can be resolved. Teachers are very willing to give up their lunch breaks to help students and they stay after school to help students also. The school has resource teachers to support students who need extra help also. There are a wide variety of activities and a great parent volunteer program.

Posted February 03, 2013
I graduated this school, not going to state which year. However, I was very unsatisfied with some of the Middle School teaching. Two teachers in particular: One who does not have a teaching degree and one who took forever her papers. The one without a degree set me up in a bad way for High School, causing me to recieve a low grade that I was not at all happy with. On the other hand, after taking four years of Spanish, I was still only abke to place into Spanish I at the High School level. The K-5 is outstanding; the teachers and ciriculum, but I would not recommend staying through 8th. I, along with many other students, had a poor expirence at the Middle School level. I believe some teachers need to be replaced & some need to learn more effective teaching strategies. I believe the school is losing its reputation, and it is very obvious why. Thank you for reading.

Posted January 16, 2013
I graduated Slade in 2008, and I can honestly say that this school has truly shaped who I am today. The caring and nurturing staff concern themselves with the well being of each student. Teachers are willing to put in extra time to help those who ask and challenge their students to reach their highest potential. The education I received from Slade helped prepare me for high school. The transition into the next stage of my education was much easier, thanks to the education I received from Monsignor Slade. I attended Slade for grades K-8 and would recommend this establishment for anyone looking for a quality education and wonderful experiences.

Posted August 02, 2012
My daughter finally graduating this year and I can tell prospective parents that this school is not a good school anymore. When we first attended the school, we were elated and found the teachers and staff to be caring. Now, the school tuition has been raised twice, teachers are leaving and being replaced with inexperienced teachers, the staff focus on families who raise a lot of money for the school. If your child does not participate in band or sports be prepared for your child to be isolated and picked on. The school operates on sports, band and teachers who have either attended the school as a child or have children at the school. You can imagine how the teachers' children wind up always being on honor roll or getting scholarships. Its a very unfair system and I have to be honest I see nothing Catholic at all about this school.

Monsignor Slade Catholic School
120 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie, MD  21061
Last modified Monsignor Slade Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Monsignor Slade Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top