Freetown Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 10, 2014

My daughter goes Freetown from 1 to 2 grade and I was not impressed how school runs and teachers don't give much for kids to learn. My daughter told me the class is bored. This is third time they had principal replaced at Freetown Elementary School. Last year, I asked to put my son to go Freetown Elementary School and they put him on a waiting list and still is on the waiting list. My daughter had experience with bully kids in the class room and gym. I have spoke teachers about it and they haven't done anything. I am pulling out my daughter out from Freetown Elementary School and I am not putting my son in there either.

Posted March 16, 2013

The teachers and staff at Freetown Elementary School are fantastic! Don't let the rating fool you, this is a school that is dedicated to the success of every student in attendance. Mr. Haynie knows the names of his students and eagerly greets them in the morning and is there at the end of the day to send them home. My son has been blessed with excellent teachers at Freetown Elementary School! The teachers in this school reach out to their students & provide guidance in a positive learning environment.

Posted March 16, 2013

It is important to remember the number rating for this school is purely based on state testing scores. It doesn't represent the excellent leadership and academic curriculum supplemented within Freetown Elementary School. This school has educated teachers, strong leadership demonstrated by Mr. Haynie and wonderful academic programs. The teachers are well equipped to recognize advanced students and provide stimulating curriculum to encourage further educational opportunities. My child has attended Freetown Elementary School for two years and I could not be happier with her education. My daughter really looks forward to school and that is a direct reflection of the wonderful environment at Freetown Elementary School.

Posted January 14, 2012

The Staff at this school is Excellent. They deserve five stars!!! The Principal is truley amazing! He knows every student by name. He greets them at the door when they arrive and sends them off at the end of the day! Most of the staff members I have met really are making a difference for these kids. Parent involvement is definetly a weak part of the school! But not all parents are lucky enough to volunteer. I am a parent of 3 children who are new to this school this year and my kids love it here!

Posted August 25, 2009

Hi everyone I admit I have heard negative things about Freetown however I enrolled my child met the Staff toured the brand new school and it is a warm friendly place wonderful school beautiful inside and out my son who is 6 loves it its time for all of us in the area to get over the hump of negative opinion and and give it a chance and decide for ourselves I am very pleased and you will be too:)

Posted May 22, 2009

As a teacher at Freetown I can tell you our school is rich with resources. We have a great deal of support from the community. There is always a way for a parent to get involved and share in the great resource that a Title One school has to offer.

Posted May 20, 2009

As a newer member of the staff, I feel that Freetown has a very positive environment and faces the challenges presented by a diverse student population. It is a Title One school and there are numerous activities that parents can participate in to promote the home school connection. The staff works very hard to differentiate instruction for all of their students to make learning more meaningful. We attend several professional development activities in and out of school. Every teacher in this school has the resources to teach the students what they need to know.

Posted May 20, 2009

I too am new to Freetown. The same principal that was spoken about in an earlier post has also led the school to achieve on the Maryland State Assessments. The teachers are on the ball and dedicated to their profession. Many of the students and staff members instruct outside of school hours in addition to the regular school day. These same teachers take the time to discuss the students needs in order to promote a positive classroom environment. Just because it is a Title One school does not make it make it a poor one. In the new building there will be more opportunities for learning, as technology will be implemented into the curriculum. Again, this will provide an additional medium for our students to achieve.

Posted December 10, 2008

My son went to school at Freetown for Kindergarten and my daughter is there now for PreK. My family loves this school! There is such a sense of community and family. The teachers work hard and truly love their students. It's true that there have been challenges, but it takes a first class staff to work through those challenges, because all they want to do is help make a difference. It's easy to work at a school in a 'more privileged' area, but it takes a quality staff that love what they do to press on. Our principal is wonderful!! She does so much for those students and families. Also, because we are a Title 1 school, our students get so much support. Reading specialists, extra programs, etc...

Posted November 13, 2008

I read the previous post and feel that the teachers and principal handle the students wrong. They have no clue. Freetown used to be a wonderful school about 8 years ago under the other principal. When she left things went down. She had those teachers on the ball. She wasn't their friends she was a leader. When my youngest son went there I could'nt deal with the young inexperienced teachers who only know one way to teach and a principle who want to be friends with her staff. The kids are talked about in a negative way amoung the staff. I pulled my son and all I hear about is how some of my neigbors are selling their homes to avoid this school. People please dont avoid the school out the Principal for who she is NO RIGHT FOR OUR KIDS.!

Posted January 26, 2008

My son is in 4th grade and I am not hapy with how things are. He isn't getting the support he needs. Discipline is a big problem and little is done to stop it. More parents need to get involved with the school

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A42%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7904 Freetown Rd