Oldfields School

Private | 8-12 | 180 students

Oldfields School is best known for

Living in Glencoe

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $275,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,310.

Sweep tile

Posted January 1, 2014

This school has many perks. In addition to having horses on campus, Oldfields is in a charming rural location, just north of Hunt Valley, MD, and a short trip below the Pennsylvania line. Oldfields has a tight-knit community feeling, all the girls are very friendly and get along. The small class sizes are great for people who want to learn, improve their grades, and work individually with the teacher. The diverse community is a major plus, and it creates a great learning experience for the students. Oldfields has rolling admission, so while there is a regular admission deadline, we receive many mid-year transfers and they're all met with excitement! Oldfields has many regular mixers with other boarding schools, and although some are a few hours ride away, students have many opportunities to interact with their friends from other schools. Our famous walmart/target trips run just about every weekend, and the woman who organizes them is so sweet. Regular trips also include coldstone, starbucks, the movies, malls, and a number of other recreational trips, some of which (like the mummy exhibit!) are actually educational as well.

Posted May 25, 2013

Oldfields had some very nice aspects to it while I was there. Since I was a big athlete and rider, I felt right at home here. They have different levels of classes from AP to the b track ( slower classes) so every girl gets the education they can handle. The art program was very good as well, since I finished their art courses my jr year, I was allowed to do an independent study. I never found the school unfriendly at all. All the girls were nice, and I liked most of my teachers. This is a great school to prepare a young woman for what lies ahead. It teaches her to be independent, responsible , and to work with the community. I won't say it was perfect, the creativity and individuality of the students was a bit limited compared to my previous school. But, over all I loved my time there, I had great coaches, trainers, and teachers. I also find it amusing that Mrs. Simpson went there ( the Duchess of Windsor), when it was a finishing school.

Posted November 19, 2012

I don't like it as an international student. Courses are not challenging. Environment is not very friendly. I can only take 6 courses... and can't take the course I want because there not enough teachers.

Posted June 7, 2012

The year is ending and my husband I are very pleased with our daughter's achievements. She has tried different activities she would have never tried in a co-ed school. She has grown into a beautiful young lady and as an accomplished student. The staff has been a big part of this and my husband said this is the best investment he has done.

Posted March 11, 2012

I searched high and low for a middle school. I am a Baltimore native and had heard of Oldfields but I was told they didn't start until the 8th grade and I needed the 6th grade. Well this particular year they wanted to start the 6th grade so I called them and made a appointment to visit the school. From the first time I stepped on campus me and my daughter fell in love with the school. It felt like home. The students, faculty and staff acted as if they had known me and my daughter for ever. We are in our second year at the school and that warm and fuzzy felling still exist. I have never seen a school car so much about my daughter success. They make sure that our daughter have everything they need to be successful. I especially enjoy the all female environment. I like the fact that our girls are able to be empowered as women while learning how to be sisterly. My daughter has met some of the most amazing people while at Oldfields that I could ask for. She is my only child and she is adopted and she is surrounded by other young ladies that are like her and I think that is great. I am happy to be apart of such a loving a caring environment that loves my daughter.

Posted February 23, 2012

From the first time I step into Oldfields school I felt a special warmth and professionalism not usually felt entering a school. It has been the best thing that could happen to our family. Margy loves going to school, she loves her friends and teachers. The academic program is extensive and outstanding. The environment is stimulating and caring. The international students add diversity and cross cultural exposure. The communication with school is over the top, i get emails and phone calls on a regular basis, informing me of progress of my daughter. We couldn't be happier with our choice, we know Margherita is getting the best of everything and it is just a joy to know she is happy, developing self confidence and achieving her best potentials academically.

Posted February 23, 2012

My daughter entered Oldfields this year in seventh grade. My husband and I had been looking for the right fit for her for three years. After her first few weeks, we knew we had found a new home for her. She had been struggling in her former school with the curriculum and the inconsistent teachers. Oldfields employs young teachers that the girls can relate to and the small class size is just what she needed. Her grades are wonderful, but even more importantly, she is actually learning and enjoying it. She is empowered to approach her teachers if she is having trouble or if she needs a little bit of extra help. The sense of community at Oldfields is second to none. My daughter has made some wonderful new friendships and adores her teachers and advisor. The environment lends itself to an extension of family. I love getting involved with the school and feel a sense of peace each time I step on to campus. It is such an amazing feeling to know that we have found the right place for our daughter to learn and to grow, both academically and personally. She has really come out of her shell and has developed a powerful self-confidence, and the year isn't even over yet!

Posted July 17, 2011

Oldfields academics are fine, depending on the teacher. My daughter had a couple of sweet, caring teachers. She also had a teacher who was just lousy--unhappy, unfriendly, and taught the minimum. Her advisor was cold, not at all a mentor or friend. Basically the adults at the school do their job and that's the end of it. There is no warmth at all from the headmaster or others on staff. An email was responded to several days or even a week later, or not at all. The trips on weekends consisted of Friday night to Walmart, and Saturday to a mall. Occasionally a movie trip. The only real positive to the school is the students, who seem to be good girls, who are kind to each other and want to learn.

Posted January 25, 2010

Our daughter entered OS as a junior this year and has excelled in all aspects of her school life. She has developed into a confident student, athlete, and young lady. She loves the school and her friends. We cannot say enough about the quality of her education and the teachers. She is doing great.

Posted January 21, 2010

This is a terrific school that combines a challenging and stimulating curriculum with terrific student advising that supports and prods the students to achieve their best. The teachers are outstanding; in contrast with my daughter's former school, where the teaching was dry, rote and straight from the book, the classes at Oldfields are stimulating and thought-provoking. The international students are a real plus - my daughter now has friends from Europe, Asia, South America and Africa and is learning about their home countries, language and culture. All in all, it is a terrific place.

Posted January 21, 2010

Oldfields is amazing! They pace each child's learning speed as quickly as she can learn, and and slowly as she needs. Raising a confident, competent daughter presents its own challenges these days. Oldfields has the expertise and insights to educate these young women. Learning to articulate thoughts and feelings goes hand-in-hand with developing self-confidence. I know when my daughter speaks up in class. I know if she comfortable disagreeing and dissenting. I know if she expressed herself clearly and openly. I know, because this school's communication is extraordinary. Lastly, at some schools, girls are discouraged from playing sports because it is 'unladylike.' However, sports teach skills that cannot be gained in English or math class, including: motivation, self-confidence, how to win and lose, how to compete, how to work with others, and how to assess and surpass limitations. The teams at Oldfields provide all of this! A+ school.

Posted January 21, 2010

This school has been a wonderful experience for my daughter, a senior in '10. As a gifted student, the school designed a program of study that included several very small classes to challenge her. The environment is friendly and supportive, the teachers are dedicated. The head is a great listener and works very hard to make this school a wonderful place. This is one place that you really need to consider for your daughter

Posted January 20, 2010

Our daughter came as a senior this year and we have been very impressed with the school, the support she has received, and how welcoming the community has been. I wish I had known about Oldfields years earlier.

Posted April 7, 2009

We looked at many private schools in and around Baltimore. Oldfields was the one school that was willing to make the most of our daughters strengths while helping to overcome her weaknesses. Oldfields truly lives up to it's mission 'Each Girl's Success' Every June this school graduates a marvelous assortment of capable and confident young women

Posted April 6, 2009

Our daughter has blossomed at Oldfields! She entered Oldfields as an 8th grade day student who was a tentative student, unsure of herself and her abilities. Now, as a junior, she is a confident, outgoing, diligent student who is enjoying every aspect of Oldfields, from the close rapport with her advisor and teachers, its challenging academic environment, to the variety of sports and social life on campus. Oldfields has provided a wonderful nuturing environment where our daughter has grown and matured. She loves OS and so do we!

Posted April 4, 2009

Our daughter has had a wonderful experience at Oldfields. The really do live by their mission statement 'Each girl's success.'

Posted April 3, 2009

A few years ago I couldn't imagine sending my daughter to boarding school. She began at Oldfields as freshman because I love the academic potential and she loved the riding program. It has been a perfect fit - the faculty is skilled, caring, and always available - her academic advisor is remarkable and I cannot imagine her anywhere else - she graduates next year.

Posted April 3, 2009

The experience Oldfields is providing my daughter is outstanding! It is a fantastic enviorment for development and growth. She is doing extremly well academically, and has become a leader in her school. Going from being very shy when she entered Oldfiels 3 years ago to positions of leadership. I have never made a better or more worth while investment.

Posted April 3, 2009

Oldfields is an incredible school. Our daughter has found a school that is academically challenging and supportive of her learning needs. Oldfields has played a huge role in helping my daughter be a confident young women, forging ahead to a wonderful future. I highly recommend Oldfields for every girl wanting to succeed!!!

Posted April 3, 2009

Our daughter has thrived at Oldfields. She knew it was the right school for her upon entering the campus on our first visit. Oldfields offers a nurturing environment that encourages each girl to be and do their very best. She is a junior and has made the most wonderful friends with students from around the world, which has added a richness to her educational experience. Most of the faculty and administration live on campus, which adds a tremendous support system. Her confidence and independence is making the college search wonderful and exciting. Oldfields has truly prepared her for this next step.

Two or more races 6% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Foreign language and culture club

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
  • Dr. Parnell Hagerman
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All girls
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • NCGS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Independent Study
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club