Glencoe, MD

Posted January 01, 2014
This school has many perks. In addition to having horses on campus, Oldfields is in a charming rural location, just north of Hunt Valley, MD, and a short trip below the Pennsylvania line. Oldfields has a tight-knit community feeling, all the girls are very friendly and get along. The small class sizes are great for people who want to learn, improve their grades, and work individually with the teacher. The diverse community is a major plus, and it creates a great learning experience for the students. Oldfields has rolling admission, so while there is a regular admission deadline, we receive many mid-year transfers and they're all met with excitement! Oldfields has many regular mixers with other boarding schools, and although some are a few hours ride away, students have many opportunities to interact with their friends from other schools. Our famous walmart/target trips run just about every weekend, and the woman who organizes them is so sweet. Regular trips also include coldstone, starbucks, the movies, malls, and a number of other recreational trips, some of which (like the mummy exhibit!) are actually educational as well.

Oldfields School 4

Posted May 25, 2013
Oldfields had some very nice aspects to it while I was there. Since I was a big athlete and rider, I felt right at home here. They have different levels of classes from AP to the b track ( slower classes) so every girl gets the education they can handle. The art program was very good as well, since I finished their art courses my jr year, I was allowed to do an independent study. I never found the school unfriendly at all. All the girls were nice, and I liked most of my teachers. This is a great school to prepare a young woman for what lies ahead. It teaches her to be independent, responsible , and to work with the community. I won't say it was perfect, the creativity and individuality of the students was a bit limited compared to my previous school. But, over all I loved my time there, I had great coaches, trainers, and teachers. I also find it amusing that Mrs. Simpson went there ( the Duchess of Windsor), when it was a finishing school.

Oldfields School 1

Posted November 19, 2012
I don't like it as an international student. Courses are not challenging. Environment is not very friendly. I can only take 6 courses... and can't take the course I want because there not enough teachers.

Posted June 07, 2012
The year is ending and my husband I are very pleased with our daughter's achievements. She has tried different activities she would have never tried in a co-ed school. She has grown into a beautiful young lady and as an accomplished student. The staff has been a big part of this and my husband said this is the best investment he has done.

Posted March 11, 2012
I searched high and low for a middle school. I am a Baltimore native and had heard of Oldfields but I was told they didn't start until the 8th grade and I needed the 6th grade. Well this particular year they wanted to start the 6th grade so I called them and made a appointment to visit the school. From the first time I stepped on campus me and my daughter fell in love with the school. It felt like home. The students, faculty and staff acted as if they had known me and my daughter for ever. We are in our second year at the school and that warm and fuzzy felling still exist. I have never seen a school car so much about my daughter success. They make sure that our daughter have everything they need to be successful. I especially enjoy the all female environment. I like the fact that our girls are able to be empowered as women while learning how to be sisterly. My daughter has met some of the most amazing people while at Oldfields that I could ask for. She is my only child and she is adopted and she is surrounded by other young ladies that are like her and I think that is great. I am happy to be apart of such a loving a caring environment that loves my daughter.

Posted February 23, 2012
From the first time I step into Oldfields school I felt a special warmth and professionalism not usually felt entering a school. It has been the best thing that could happen to our family. Margy loves going to school, she loves her friends and teachers. The academic program is extensive and outstanding. The environment is stimulating and caring. The international students add diversity and cross cultural exposure. The communication with school is over the top, i get emails and phone calls on a regular basis, informing me of progress of my daughter. We couldn't be happier with our choice, we know Margherita is getting the best of everything and it is just a joy to know she is happy, developing self confidence and achieving her best potentials academically.

Posted February 23, 2012
My daughter entered Oldfields this year in seventh grade. My husband and I had been looking for the right fit for her for three years. After her first few weeks, we knew we had found a new home for her. She had been struggling in her former school with the curriculum and the inconsistent teachers. Oldfields employs young teachers that the girls can relate to and the small class size is just what she needed. Her grades are wonderful, but even more importantly, she is actually learning and enjoying it. She is empowered to approach her teachers if she is having trouble or if she needs a little bit of extra help. The sense of community at Oldfields is second to none. My daughter has made some wonderful new friendships and adores her teachers and advisor. The environment lends itself to an extension of family. I love getting involved with the school and feel a sense of peace each time I step on to campus. It is such an amazing feeling to know that we have found the right place for our daughter to learn and to grow, both academically and personally. She has really come out of her shell and has developed a powerful self-confidence, and the year isn't even over yet!

Oldfields School 3

Posted July 17, 2011
Oldfields academics are fine, depending on the teacher. My daughter had a couple of sweet, caring teachers. She also had a teacher who was just lousy--unhappy, unfriendly, and taught the minimum. Her advisor was cold, not at all a mentor or friend. Basically the adults at the school do their job and that's the end of it. There is no warmth at all from the headmaster or others on staff. An email was responded to several days or even a week later, or not at all. The trips on weekends consisted of Friday night to Walmart, and Saturday to a mall. Occasionally a movie trip. The only real positive to the school is the students, who seem to be good girls, who are kind to each other and want to learn.

Oldfields School 0

Posted January 25, 2010
Our daughter entered OS as a junior this year and has excelled in all aspects of her school life. She has developed into a confident student, athlete, and young lady. She loves the school and her friends. We cannot say enough about the quality of her education and the teachers. She is doing great.

Posted January 21, 2010
This is a terrific school that combines a challenging and stimulating curriculum with terrific student advising that supports and prods the students to achieve their best. The teachers are outstanding; in contrast with my daughter's former school, where the teaching was dry, rote and straight from the book, the classes at Oldfields are stimulating and thought-provoking. The international students are a real plus - my daughter now has friends from Europe, Asia, South America and Africa and is learning about their home countries, language and culture. All in all, it is a terrific place.

Oldfields School