Great Mills, MD
Students enrolled: 1,664

Great Mills High School 2

Posted May 13, 2014
This school is horrible the staff is lazy the teachers don't care nor the students. You could skip class and have no consiquences, they have a total of 3-4 security guards that enforce the rules and when their broken their excuses are we try our hardest to enforce the school no wonder this school isn't an A school they just don't care we talked to the assistant principle about this issue and all she did was make up the excuse that this happenes at every school and talked about leanord town a A school and how they have drug issues, give me a break. You can't talk about another school when you can't even control your own students. I would also like to add the staff is extremely rude and unprofessional and the school is unsanitary. I suggest trying to get into leanord town if you can or anywhere else you can don't come herecan't wait to graduate next year . They need a whole new staff and principle to fix this school before it's beyond repair

Posted October 15, 2013
Great Mills High School Is an Excellent School. Its Easy To Complain And Have A Lot Of Negative Things To Say About Great Mills When You Have Nothing To Compare It To. But As A Former Student Who Attended GM From 9-11th Grade, I Use To Think Some Of Those Similar Things UNTIL I Transferred To Another School. My Entire Senior Year I Begged & Begged My Parents To Please Send Me Back To Great Mills. Talk About Lack Of Discipline, Lack Of Leadership Amongst Administrators, And Teachers Who Really Don't Care, Try Sending Your Child To A School In PG County. The Teachers At Great Mills Were Attentive, And Very Helpful. They Did They're Best To Make Sure That Students Who Wanted Their Education Got The Best Of It. The Principals , Both Mr & Mrs. Heibel Were Amazing. Administrators Ms. Quick, Mr. Hart, Mr. Carden, They All Did An Awesome Job. They Always Welcomed Concern Students & Parents With Open Arms. The Career Center Was Very Helpful In Getting Students Into Colleges And Helping Them To Figure Out Life Beyond High School. With CM, AP & STEM Great Mills Prepared Its Students For Success. I Would Recommend This School To Anyone. IT IS GREAT !

Great Mills High School 3

Posted December 11, 2012
Great Mills isn't an overly "amazing" school, nor an atrocious pit, if any description were to be appropriate, average would be fitting. For moving students, the experience could be jarring, especially if the student was previously in higher classes, if so it should be TOP priority to enroll them in the AP and "Honors" courses, their "standard" is really for delinquents, and their "college prep" (referred to as CM) is hardly preporatory for college as essays are minimal, students aren't being taught to critically analyze any specific topic beyond basic comprehension, and the worklord(ie homework & classowrk) for most CM classes is almost laughably non-existent much of it easily do-able within 10 minutes, as a student taking a mix of CM, Honors, and AP the workload difference is staggering. . The advanced courses are where the school shines academically as several programs are offered for a hard-working students to further their future. On the downside, stereotypes are prevalent, and students seem undisciplined, likely perpetuated by the noticably bad parents, often teachers would hint at dreading parent conference, however the school can hardly be blamed for this.

Great Mills High School 4

Posted August 10, 2011
I am a student at Great Mills going into my senior year. I don't really associate with people much but I hope parents are secure about their children and "drama". As many high schools have drama this one has plenty. Mostly because everyone knows the names of others and there's not much to do in this country but start rumors. Other than the student body the teachers are GREAT! Since I can't say names my psychology and world history teachers are the best

Great Mills High School 3

Posted July 06, 2011
I am very fortunate to have a child that is very involved with the music program, which means majority of his friends are band geeks. However, it's very unfortunate that during the football games you're either leaving early or waiting in the band room until all the riftraft is gone. It is a little scary to pick your child up at night. As you notice with the 5 stars, they're either in STEM, AP and or Honors. My child is in mixture of Honors and regular classes... there is a difference in behavior in those classes. Majority of the staff are great, but they do have an issue of being afraid of certain races, so they to tend to get away with more. All this said, if your child is i STEM, AP and or Hornors this school would be great! If your child is an average student as majority of the students are, I hope you taught them to keep their mouth shut and look straight ahead. Good luck!

Posted June 27, 2011
GMHS lays claim to some of the best that education today has to offer IF, and I mean IF, the student is willing to pursue such a path. The key ingredient is the school's highly educated, good-humoured and extremely hard working staff -- especially the teachers. To throw some names out there, Mr. Charles Skinner, Mr. Brian Weisner, Mrs. Jean Illingworth, and Ms. Rhonda McCarthy have all made PROFOUND impacts on my life. They are the kind of people who show up at 6:30 AM to help figure out a particular concept, who organize "Star Parties" at 3 AM, and who provide 'brain food' (home baked) on AP Test days. The 'multi-cultured' population of GMHS is at times a challenge, but the diversity only opens an early opportunity to synergize with people foreign to you. Mrs. Heibel was an AWESOME principal, Mr. Heibel has shoes to fill. GMHS was a radical change for me, coming in as a transfer student from another school. Despite early credit mishaps, and an additional year, I was able to graduate in the first STEM Academy Class, top 2% of my class, Captain of Swim team, and act as High Ranking Officers of several clubs. Also, I am a student, yet I I desired to vote (hence, parent). <3

Posted May 26, 2010
Both my children actively use the school's programs and extracurricular programs. They have been involved in athletics - outstanding department, NJROTC, wonderful leadership program. Science, student government including SMASC. Academics are rigorous and fair. All led by a highly involved and competent principal and staff. I suggest you talk to parents of, or current students of Great Mills as opposed to listening to the drumbeat of outdated rumors and self serving gossipers.

Posted December 02, 2009
My family moved here a few years ago from one of the top school systems in the country. I was a little afraid after reading the some of the reviews. I am happy to say that both of my teenagers are thriving, getting really involved in profound activities and getting excellent grades. To me a high school is an important tool for grooming our teenagers to become responsible leaders. So far I like what I see. The STEM academy is especially challenging and rewarding for both of them. They have both taken unusual chance of a lifetime field trips. The coaches treat team members like family. The Physics dept. is especially awesome-thanks to Mr. Skinner! I would recommend Great Mills High School to any family. No apprehension anymore from me!

Posted September 24, 2009
Good school. A lot different than what is reported or gossiped about. Teacher a re hard workers they call if there is a problem. Discipline is on par with any school I've been in.

Great Mills High School 0

Posted September 10, 2009
I think that the most compalint I have had at Great Mills is lac of communication, but, we all have had conferences together, and had better understanding of where we all can improve this sill. Other than that I had one son that graduated in 2009, and another due to graduate in 2010. Once you let the school and teachers now that you are a concerned parent, and want to be there not only for you child's well being and to help them out also, things get easier. One thing I suggest to parents, is to mae sure that they have all of your numbers as well as your email addresses, so that there and will be no excuse for any problems.

Great Mills High School
21130 Great Mills Rd, Great Mills, MD  20634
Last modified Great Mills High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Great Mills High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top