Greenbelt, MD
Students enrolled: 2,551

Posted May 28, 2013
Roosevelt is a very good school and I do feel like I am getting a better education than I could at most schools . Many of my teachers do honestly care about teaching the students and preparing them for their lives , however there are also several teachers that I have honestly never learned anything at all from . Unfortunately , departments such as art , english , and drama seem to be considered significantly less important than science and math classes . Being in S&T , I have also noticed that kids that are not in this program are hardly paid attention to and even targeted by the administrators compared to the other students . Overall , students are able to recieve a good education and oppurtunities if they are willing to apply themselves , but the school's priorities are completely unbalanced , a situation I believe could be improved in the administrators and county handled things differently .

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 5

Posted June 28, 2012
This is a great school and I really do feel like I'm having the best high school experience possible. The students are great and supportive. The teachers go out of their way to help you. I'm in the science and tech program and I really enjoy it even though it can get pretty tough. Even though people complain that s/t get all the opportunities, thats not true at all. If you truly want success, you'll take advantage of all the opportunities available. I alsO really love the after school clubs and sports. Our opportunities are limitless!

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 5

Posted April 25, 2012
This school is the best experience of my life but science and tech is the program I would suggest you apply for.

Posted August 11, 2011
Like one of the previous reviewers, I am a neighborhood student and will complete my high school experience in 2012 at Eleanor Roosevelt HS. Despite our similarities, I must disagree with the students view on the teachers. Your experience at ERHS is what you make it. "Better" teachers are not reserved for sci/tech students (majority of those teachers teach comprehensive classes as well)-- it's the student's own drive that pushes them to succeed in the class. I personality appreciate the teachers at the school as well the extra curricular activities and opportunities available to all students at this school.

Posted May 27, 2011
Eleanor roosevelt is what you make of it. If you care about school and work hard, you will suceed. I am in the Quest program. Beware of the guidence conselour. if you aren't in science and tech they may ignore you. I am stuck taking normal english 10 for this coming year. However, I pushed my counselours into allowing me to take AP Government and I will be taking Chemistry honors. YOU have to push. If you don't you won't get the classes that will challenge you.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 3

Posted May 11, 2011
ERHS used to be a powerhouse and a great school and turned out one of Google's founders, but those days are over, and its decline has really accelerated in the last four years. It's the best school in PG, but that doesn't mean much. While some teachers are INCREDIBLE, others are dull, foolish, or practically insane. Many are incompetent. The school spends ENTIRELY too much time and money trying to make itself look good and far too little actually improving itself. Teacher cuts are making it look like classes will soon have 40 students, I have heard multiple English teachers say that they are not going to be able to teach essay writing next year, and the administration frequently makes arbitrary and wasteful decisions that endear them to none. (They also seem to strongly dislike the students, which makes me wonder why they work here at all.) Students are totally ignored- if you want to get something done, get your parents involved. It's very possible to get a good education in the sciences, but students who are more humanities- or arts-oriented are at a fairly severe disadvantage. Non-S/T kids have it worse than we do, too. I have two days of school left and I can't wait to leave.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 1

Posted February 09, 2011
I am a junior (graduate 2012) at ERHS and have been here since the beginning, freshman year. People say the school is great and wonderful, but that is only for the science/tech students. The school gives much support including good teachers and better environment for them. But for the regular neighborhood students like me, we are provided with mediocre teachers that don't really care and complain. The administration is terrible. The administrators pester students constantly because they themselves have no better work to do but to exasperate the students. They have an administrator at lunches to ruin the thought of having a break during school and eating lunch. They scream into a microphone, give students trash duty for pointless reasons, and are very discouraging. The school as a whole don't even care about the regular students, and would rather be lazy and see them fail instead of helping them succeed. My recommendation, if you have money, put your kid in a private school.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 3

Posted January 04, 2011
I graduated in 2009 from the S/T program. It is easy to claim ERHS is the best, but there's not much competition in PG. There are superb and inspirational teachers here, but there are also awful ones, as is true of all schools. The key difference is that ERHS has so many great ones in a wide variety of subjects. Many of the students here do strive to achieve all that they can, but the majority appear not to care about their education (or anyone else's). The administration is severely lacking in many aspects and I am unsure if this is due to their personal attributes or the education board. As has been stated in other reviews, the high standardized testing scores and AP enrollment is due largely to the so-called "smarter kids". Personally, I didn't feel particularly challenged in the majority of my classes, but that is, at least in part, due to the fact that the English program at all public schools (that I'm aware of) is severely lacking in diversity and that funding for the arts has been largely ignored. Science and math courses make this school, but hope your student gets the good teachers or s/he will be lost.

Posted December 30, 2010
I graduated from ERHS in the class of 2008 and am currently in college right now. Roosevelt did a great job preparing me and exposing me to a wide variety of experiences. I loved many of my teachers and the bad ones were tolerable. I was in the Science and Technology program and the internship/research experience was am amazing experience. Definitely go with a program or large organization/university - you will learn a lot and it looks amazing on your resume! The S/T coordinator was difficult to work with as a student unfortunately and involving my parent did not help at all. I loved Roosevelt though and would highly recommend this school

Posted July 06, 2010
We came from a private school environment into the sci/tech program. The initial adjustment was extremely difficult, with the scheduling problems, a guidance counselor that didn't want to deal with the parents, and gave us false hope for a schedule change, policies on attendance that do not respect parental authority and rights, very delayed locker assignments, and general chaos initially. After all of this, things settled down and overall the year was good. Most of the problems were the result of PG county school max system, not the school, with the exception of the guidance counselor.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School
7601 Hanover Parkway, Greenbelt, MD  20770
Last modified Eleanor Roosevelt High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eleanor Roosevelt High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top