Bad
Good

My family loves this school. My two kids are eager for the new school year to begin. Last year, they were excited every day to go to school and didn't want to miss a day. The teachers, administration, secretary, nurse and custodians made us feel welcomed and showed on numerous occasions that they cared. We are glad we are in this school.

Before moving to the area, we toured the school with the principal for nearly 2 hours. He answered every possible question, even gave us his cell phone if we had anymore questions. After our tour we knew had had to buy a home within the boundary for this elementary. A year later, we know that we made the best decision ever for the education and well being of our children. The classroom instruction is rigorous, the quality of work is superb, the expectations are high and the students rise to the occasion to meet or exceed the goals set by their educators and administration. The administration is pro-active and attentive to concerns. The teachers go out of their way offering extra help in areas of weakness. This school even teaches children how to interact with adults; eye contact, firm hand shake, manners. Without a doubt, this elementary school is helping shape the minds and mind sets of children in this community.

I can't say enough good about this school. The teachers are dedicated and talented and all including leadership has created a great environment for learning. What a principal! Will he get principal of the year....probably! There are so many great things going on at this school that I could not possibly go into them all here.

Our experience at Havre de Grace Elementary has been wonderful so far, the teachers are very caring, and the administration's positive energy is always very much appreciated. We've been impressed with the caliber of our son's kindergarten teacher and the number of advanced degrees, certification, and extra training these teachers here have. We were initially concerned about this being a Title I school and its effect on the quality of education offered, but we're happy to see the extra funding and resources seem to be well-utilized (from our perspective). We appreciate our son's teacher always offering extra assignments and suggestions when assignments are too easy, and they seem to be avail themselves to struggling students--I think much of it depends on how much families take advantage of all these services. We've also appreciated the many extracurricular family activities and parenting/STEM events. Overall, it's been a great experience.

We moved to the area two years ago and three of my children attend this school. I have never experienced a school that is so involved and passionate about the education of each and every student. The administrative staff is just as involved in the daily routines of the kids as their teachers. And the teachers work as a team for each grade, meaning even if your child is not in their class you can guarantee that they will still know each child's name, strengths and weaknesses. And the desire to work with the parents is above average! They fully believe in a partnership between the home and school to fully develop each child's potential. Two of my kids have an IEP for speech and there is no awkwardness or feeling of being singled out for the children that are involved in a specialized program. Also, each of my children are in the gifted level of their classes, so I am not sure what might have happened in the reviews below, but we have had no issues fighting to get them certain classes or teachers. I hope this review helps other parents looking because when we were this rating made us nervous but I firmly feel it is way off and this school deserves a higher rating.

My fifth grader has eased right into HdG Elementary. Every adult responsible for my child that I have met has been wonderful. This is, in fact, the first year I feel he has gained real insight and help from his guidance counselor - who works in tandem with his homeroom teacher. HdG Elementary is unique in that they don't switch classes. At the beginning of the year, students are evaluated on their reading and comprehension levels. They are then divided into homerooms based on these levels. This is a wonderful way to give help to those who need it and prevent boredom in others. I think it helps the self esteem of students who may be intelligent, but slower than some of their peers. It gives them a chance to shine. On the flip side, it allows students who have always been the "smart" one in class deflate their head a bit as they encounter other students as quick to answer as them. In addition to their homeroom teachers, other specialists (reading, gifted, special ed) also enter the classroom to co-teach and work with small groups. The individualized attention my child has been receiving can't be beat.

I love this school. My son has been to many schools, because we are a military family. This is the best one yet! The school supplies are provided by the school and the teacher's are expected to have greater credentials than other public elementary schools because this a 'title 1' school. You can google 'title 1 school' to learn what that means. The teachers and staff really seem to care about the children and care about being a teacher. My son has attended part of 1st through 4th grade here, is on honor roll and in the orchestra. They provide great opporunities to the students and it's really up to the parents to encourage the children the rest of the way, to get the students to take advantage of these opportunities. We got lucky with this location, it's a great schol.

First, I would like to say we are a military family and we can't help that we have to move quite a bit. If you have a gifted child with neurological disabilities this is not the school for you. The school was not willing to provide an aid for my daughter in the beginning until I complained to someone higher than the school. Then, I had here tested for the GT program and was told that she could read and comprehend up to almost 3rd grade which she is only in 1st grade. Also, that she could decode words up to 6th grade. But, that she was not gifted enough....funny....because at her last school she was awarded for being the top student in her class. So if you want your child to tally for a month and check out 0 book this is the school for you. We removed our daughter after one month and homeschooled.

This school get extra funding from the government, but they are not equip to handle above average students who are not on their gifted list.

While some of the teachers at this school are really wonderful there plenty that are not. I cannot wait to have my child transfered from this school.

Last modified Havre De Grace Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.