Roye-Williams Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 29, 2014

Roye-Williams has been a great school for my three children that have attended there. Mrs. Osborn, Mr. Hoffman, Mrs. Dacey(retired) Mrs. Field have been some of the most amazing teachers! I am happy my children attended this school and anytime one of my kids have had an issue it was addressed quickly! One of the first schools off base that I would recommend highly. I hope soon all states adopt Core Curriculum and soon so we can keep our kids education on the same level in each state.

Posted December 28, 2013

I have 3 children at RWES and I love the school. They have some of the most caring teachers at this school. My oldest has went to this school since K and is now in 5th grade and there has only been one teacher that I haven't liked. She is no longer at the school. All the other teachers my children have had were wonderful. The only bad thing I will say about the school is that it could use some remodeling.

Posted June 7, 2013

This is a great school. The teachers are great, and the school is always clean. Though, the principals and the other office staff could use some work. I'd like to give a huge thanks to Ms. Peyton, Ms. Mahoney, Mrs. Field, Mrs. Lichty, Mrs. Bartlebaugh, Mr. Stump, Mrs. Eure, Ms. Pettit, and Ms. Mehaffey. They make this school truly great.

Posted December 31, 2012

We absolutely love this school. The teachers do a great job and the administration is responsive to concerns. My two children are very different and they are meeting each of their needs.

Posted October 28, 2012

We love the school!!!!! We are military and my 3 kids are all in RWES for the last 3 yrs. I dont know how the school was the past years, but all i can say we love it. The teachers are awesome (1st to 5th grade), the office staff is always nice. They have extra programs for special gifted and also for kids who need some extra help. The music program with orchestra/band and chorus is really nice. It is an old school but thats the only negative thing about it. Read only the newest comments... WE LOVE RWES ;)

Posted April 6, 2012

My oldest daughter started at RW in 4th grade and did very well. She liked the school. The only concern I had was with the GT program or lack there of. The plus side was that they do offer chorus and band.

Posted August 16, 2011

it was a wonderful school, the teachers are friendly and are willingly to help in any way they can

Posted July 30, 2011

I had 2 children go through Roye William Elementary. My son went there from 2nd grade, he did great. My daughter started in Kindergaten, and was excellent upon completion of 5th grade. Thanks to the excellent work Ms. Aboud, and Ms Peyton put in. Mr Knight helped my son to be excellent in Math. Roye William elementary is like a Private school that is run by the government. We did not need a private school, because we could not ask for anything better. Thanks Ms. Osborne for your wonderful leadership, and caring for our kids. I love Roye William elementary.

Posted November 18, 2010

I have had two kids go to Roye Williams, one gifted and one special needs. We are prior military, but have only been at RWES as civilians. I can not say enough good things about the school and the staff. The school and staff are fantastic. I am so glad my kids go there, all of the teachers I have worked with have just been great. I only have one kid there now, but I think RWES has been a blessing for our family. The class sizes are amazing for public schools.

Posted June 22, 2010

I had 3 children attend this school. We are military. We are currently in Texas and I wish we were back in MD at Roye Williams. Staff are friendly if you are respectful, too. They CARE about all of the children. If your child is acting up, it is poor parenting; NOT the schools fault that they need to enforce discipline. My kids were happy there, cared for a GREAT deal. I had gifted AND special needs children at this school. Good luck, military families, finding a more caring school for our kids. I hate where we are and have had to pull my special needs child OUT of Texas schools. Thank God for Roye Williams!

Posted April 14, 2010

Oh, how I miss Mrs, Duffy, She was my son's kindergarten teacher and then my daughter's for the first part of kindergarten. Then we were forced to move to Okinawa Japan and the disappointments just keep coming. I do agree that the office staff at Roy Williams could use a lesson or two in customer service but once you get past that you find that most of the teaching staff are wonderful and caring for our children and their needs. I also Iike Mrs. Osborn. Mrs. Miller was a whole other story. Class sizes are amazing as compared to elsewhere. When my childrend attended kindergarten I don't think there ever were above 13 students in their class along with a TA and a teacher. We come to Okinawa and there are 30 kids to one teacher!

Posted April 13, 2010

Roye- Williams serves the military base and local community at a sub-standard level. There are no after school prgrams that assist struggling children; their only option is IEP and military-exclusive after school programs. CIVILIANS?? The school offers very little academically to strengthen the children and nothing to assist the parents! The school is nothing without us: students and parents. Military get first priority because of the military, not because of the school. The fact that they serve our country and have a tremdous sacrifice should be applauded and recognized, but not at the expense of the civilian community. Since RWE is not a military school, more emphasis should be placed on all students and their academic success. The parents want to support their children and the school system, but if we continue to reward and (in a sense) ignore the substandard approach it affects our children.

Posted July 10, 2009

RWES is lcated in southern Havre De Grace, but it mainly serves the Aberdeen Proving Ground military base and local community. There are many wonderful teachers, but the reduction in number of students (due to redistricting and BRAC) is reducing staff. The Parent Teachers Association is outstanding, and the organization conducts fantastic book fairs and family friendly events.

Posted June 22, 2009

Roye-Williams is a wonderful school that DOES have many programs to help children who are in need as well as enriched. The parents who have written comments before probably didn't seek out those programs that are provided. Looking at MSA test scores RWES has some of the highest rankings in all of the county especially of any route 40 school. My children love it there and the teachers are truly caring!!

Posted June 8, 2009

Roye Williams is a great school my son is in Kindergarten and reading at a 2nd great level thanks Mrs. Duffy.

Posted March 28, 2008

My kids attended RWES and I was not happy with it. The staff is very unfriendly..Specially the office personnel. I am very glad that we are no longer there.

Posted February 16, 2008

My children have attended RWES for one year, and we are extremely disappointed. The majority of the staff are unfriendly and unconcerned with the needs of military families, even though they receive federal funding (I have had to fill out this paperwork personally). The only reason I gave this school two stars was because my kids are VERY lucky and have teachers who are the exception for this school. These few are the school's saving grace. But, I recommend military families to live off post and send their kids to another school.

Posted February 1, 2006

My son started kindergarten here this year (2005-2006). He has a wonderful teacher. She is very experienced and has very high expectations for her students. She uses positive words and encouragement to challenge her students to do their very best. My son is learning how to read in her class and should leave kindergarten completely ready for first grade, if not slightly advanced. I am also happy with the specials--art, music, PE, and media. I have lived in states that don't even provide these subjects in their schools. I think the class size is great! There are only 15 kids in his kindergarten class. A few of the other classes have 14. Again, I have been elsewhere with 25 kindergarteners to 1 teacher, with no aide. So far we are very, very happy with Roye-Williams and yes, we are military.

Posted January 18, 2006

i went to this school 2 years ago, i was there from 2nd to 5th grade. parents were usually involved with their children. i live in texas now but in this school i learned alot. here, i am repeating what i did in 5th grade. i got into the music program here and learned the basics of playing my clarinet. most of the after school activities were from the youth center and the teachers were really nice. most programs were given to the really smart kids. when i was there, there was plenty to do always. but as a kid still i say this school deserves some credit for its teaching ability.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 5, 2005

My daughter started kindergarden at this school, and went through 2nd grade. The principal and most of the staff are not friendly. This school is big on testing children for problems, to get the extra funding, and not helping them properly. There are no programs for the children after school. I just spent $9,000 this summer to get my child to the reading level she needed to be on. I have put my daughter in a different school this year that offers a more possitive environment.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

201 Oakington Rd