No rating

Mother Catherine Spalding School

Private | PK-8 | 204 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 20, 2014

Mother Catherine Spalding School is a Catholic oriented, student and family friendly school. Once you join the school you will gain a new family.

Posted January 10, 2014

Mother Catherine Spalding School is an amazing place where children learn and play in a supportive, cooperative environment. The classes are small, so teachers give each child support and attention wherever needed. The children are well behaved and always treat each other well. I regularly see middle-school children holding the door for younger ones; I'm greeted cheerfully by children, faculty and other parents whenever I am at the school. Most schools don't teach and encourage respect and manners like that anymore! When we came to southern Maryland we didn't know anyone; now my son runs into friends from school at the park, grocery store, library ... even though it's a small school, children from all grades know and befriend each other. It's a wonderful community like none other I've ever seen. The school also offers great after-school programs that I haven't seen in any other schools, public or private. For example, my child is learning to program computers ... not just how to use them, but how to actually program them! He wrote an arcade-style game last semester! This is an amazing school... if you live within 30 miles of it, look into it... it's worth the drive!

Posted January 10, 2014

Posted November 3, 2011

Mother Catherine Spalding is a fabulous school with wonderful, caring, INVOLVED teachers and a great, new principal. The class sizes are wonderful for specialized attention. Many new endeavors, including a science lab, Spanish class, and soon the arrival of iPads for student usage, have only improved what was already good. Please note that the low-rated comments and reviews are rather old, and many, if not all, of those issues have been resolved. If things were still as these others have reported, I would not have been sending my own son there for the past three years.

Posted October 19, 2011

My husband and I chose to send my children to this wonderful school when my husband's job was moved from PA to PAX River. Mother Catherine Spalding had all the traits we were looking for in a Catholic school-- strong Catholic identity coupled with strong academics, and a nurturing environment. My children not only received a quality education at MCSS, but devloped a strong personal identity rooted in the belief that we are all created by God and in His image, worthy of respect and love. Moreover my sons and daughter have been inspired to challenge themselves to be all that God created them to be-- to reach their full potential. I have now been associated with Mother Catherine Spalding School for more than 15 years -- the last 9 years I have been teaching here. MCSS teaches academics to be sure, but also, helps students learn teamwork and sportsmanship, recognize the value of hard work and dedication, and develop a sense of community and service to others. I am proud to be a part of such a dedicated staff whose daily mission is to teach the whole child, in partnership with the parents, to be all that God intended him/her to be.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 15, 2011

We started our son at Mother Catherine only because he was not able to get into public school Pre-K. When he started school there, we thought we would stay there until the year was done then move to public school... HOWEVER, we chose to stay at MCS because it is such a wondeful environment! With small class sizes, our son gets the individualized attention that he needs to thrive in Kindergarten, plus he is receiving moral development that he would not if he was in public school. There is a sense of community, and everyone knows everyone else. We are very excited to have a new principal and cannot wait to see her new ideas for our school. Without a doubt, keeping our son at Mother Catherine is one of the best decisions we have made.

Posted October 13, 2011

My son has been at Mother Catherine since Pre-K (2003-present) and has been very successful. We are extremely pleased with the teachers he has had and the education he has received. The school has a new principal this year and she is absolutely wonderful. I think the new leadership will only make the school better. I have nothing but positive things to say about Mother Catherine. I am glad we made the choice to send our son there so many years ago.

Posted December 11, 2010

We have just moved to MCS from FAW. We are overjoyed!!! My middleschooler is in thrilled. My first graders are thriving. Smaller class sizes, warm loving environment, accelerated opportunies. Every teacher seems to know all three of my children.

Posted May 11, 2007

Great school! My husband's entire family grew up with MCSS(when the nuns were still there) and now our son has attended here since K and is now in the 3rd and will attend through 8th. We are very pleased with the educational standards, as well as the relationship that they practice with God. My son loves the teachers. We are pleased with the close net of teachers, students, and parents. The students are held to high expectations and meet them with all hands on! I believe in the 'it takes a village to raise a child'and Mother Catherine is the best choice for any child's village.The teachers are strong and teach wonerfully.The school offers a great option for the public school system and have all the extracurricular activities the public schools offer. God bless

Posted March 28, 2007

This is our third year at Mother Catherine, and we have been really happy with the school, the staff and academics. My children love going to school, they enjoy their teachers and the minute we walk into the school we are greeted with smiles and friendly greetings that make you feel as though you are amoung family. Not sure why some of the previous reviews said that several families chose to take their children out of the school. The school is wonderful.

Posted August 12, 2005

Well to be honest I am not a parent, but instead a former student(graduated '01) and have seen this school change drastically since then. After a certain financial situation was resolved the school has since added an expansion, complemented grades k-8 with a pre-k and brought in more qualified staff. Still, many things remain the same I suppose. In my experience students were punished erratically as previously mentioned, the focus was sometimes put on non-academic things (such as their new basketball court for example), but most importantly, what I found when attending the school was that your quality of education is greatly reliant on the quality of your teacher/s. One year I would have a very poor or new teacher who could barely control the class, another year I would have one of the best teachers I have ever had. Overall though, the school creates a great community for a student.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 20, 2005

This school year 04-05 my son and our family were new to Mother Catherine he is in Pre-K and really we were not sure of what to expect although I had heard nothing but wonderful things about the school and the teachers. I feel very fortunate to have my son receiving his education at Mother Catherine and I highly recommend this school to anyone looking for the best for their child. Everytime I go to the school I feel so welcomed and really feel glad that my son goes there. Mrs. Cook is a wonderful teacher and I thank her for caring about my son's education and rest of the children's as well. I think Mr. Ligday is a wonderful principal and Mrs. Spence she is just great! My son likes every teacher in the school that he has had a chance to meet and that makes me very happy!

Posted February 17, 2005

This school is really excelling. They have a full time resource teacher that is able to assist the remedial students K-8 and also challenge the advanced students K-8. Their new music teacher has taken a well established program and pushed it to new heights, with the band performing publicly at various venues and now planning on competitions. every core curriculum teacher possesses a Masters. The new computer teacher has the children greatly advanced in software, web based applications, and programming. This has been a greatly cohesive year for the staff. The new administrator is also very involved int the school and highly approachable. Also its dropping its level of 'selling' fundraisers in favor of more community minded activities. Definitely look into this school.

Posted October 5, 2004

It is a small school that is struggling to find its niche. This school was very good, but a big disappointment last year. Numerous families left the school. There are no programs available to address gifted (accelerated) or special needs (remedial) children. The middle school Math department is awesome, one of the best in the county. Last year the middle school report cards were delayed one week, as I understand it, due to the English department s inability to report student progress on time. The administration appears to distribute discipline in an arbitrary and inconsistent manner. One child will get expelled for two days, where another will be required to perform menial in-school tasks for the same infraction. There appears to be more focus on student intimidation and conformance than education and learning. Under the right leadership, this school can and has excelled.

Posted August 25, 2004

I think this school is horrifying - especially for something you are required to pay to have your childrens attend. It did not 'used to be' this way; however, they hired another 'new' Principal last school year summer (2003) and the school has totally gone into 'destructive-mode'. As a result, an enormous amount of the 'MCSS Families' have taken the 'Pro-Active' approach and taken their children out of the school for this coming school year (2004-2005). (It should be noted several did this during the school year). Most of which (including me and my family - who have been sending our children to this school since 1997).

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington