Hyattsville, MD
Students enrolled: 2,274

Northwestern High School 4

Posted January 14, 2015
This is a large school, and yes, they do have some problems with some student's behavior (the bigger the barrel the more rotten apples). However, my daughter was able to take part in marching band, learn Italian, and take AP courses. She also had the best English teacher I had ever met. This school is like many others - it is what you make of it. A motivated student will do well. A slacker will get lost in the crowd. My daughter graduated and attends college, where she is doing well, in no small part due to the good instruction she received in high school.

Northwestern High School 5

Posted May 18, 2013
it is a good school and you will enjoy your self every much when you get their

Northwestern High School 5

Posted July 25, 2011
Northwestern might not be the perfect school, but its near perfect ! school is clean, have many things for students with dissabilities. some teachers are strict but do a great job in teacher. This school is RECOMMENDABLE !

Northwestern High School 1

Posted May 16, 2011
I noticed that a lot of people posted for this school a long while ago. My son was attacked in this school and is still being threatened with bodily harm by the same attackers. At first the school was telling us that they were going to take care of everything. Now, months later the attackers are still in the school, my son feels like the school cares nothing for him. Even though every single day he goes to the teachers, counselors and principal letting them know that they have brought guns and other weapons to school and it seems to go on deaf ears. A lot of the students have said that there are gangs in this school, but once asked about what they are going to do about the gangs and the only response that I was given was they (the gangs) need education too .

Posted September 16, 2009
excuse me too everyone who is bring negative vibes to NWHS... it is not a bad school the kids are just hyper on school spirit.. i personally go there and teachers help me and the jim henson program is the best performin arts program(besides suitland) and i think parents should get more involved with that specific progam.... And for theremoreour school district needs help in general...

Northwestern High School 4

Posted June 04, 2009
I moved from laurel hs and i would say it much better here. Teachers are friendly the students are sometimes alright the school has spirit though some rules about uniform aren't greatly enforced

Posted June 04, 2009
i have been observing the school and notes afew thingsthe staff is great and principal enforces the rules but some kids don't obey them like Uniforms. am greatly against uniforms but i think it saves money. in my year kids have school spirit . Kids also play too much (out of good conduct) but they are cool

Northwestern High School 1

Posted January 14, 2009
I really agree with this person. When I want to speak to a guidance teacher no one answers the phone. When i plan a teacher conference, half of the teachers did't get the information in time to have the meeting or just does'nt care.

Northwestern High School 2

Posted August 30, 2008
There are so many things that I can say are wrong with this school. I currently attend, but not for long. I have had the misfortune to spend almost 3 years there, and I am not satisfied at all with the administration (terrible. they do not care). the teachers (who need more people skills, as well as more education themselves), the uniform policy which seriously does more harm than good (they see it as; wear uniform or don't come at all & they have all these specifications- ie; no Dickies, those are the cheapest uniform pants), and the overcrowding is just ridiculous- it is too many kids there which also conflicts with the education process. On the other hand, i really do think that the principal is really doing his best- but he really needs to check his administrative staff & his teachers.

Northwestern High School 3

Posted April 06, 2008
I am a senior at Northwestern High School and I will say that the school have excellent teachers and staff that care about students more than anything. Excellent clubs or extra curricular activities that make Northwestern the best school in PG County. The school is pretty big inside and outside in a safe enviroment. Students at the school want to learn new things everyday and we are the first school that started the uniform policy that make a good transition to other schools in PG County. This my first year at this school and I have seen alot of graffitti in the hallway and the school got some ghetto people in there that don't know what to do. Many people skipping class during lunch or class and the sercurity don't even care. Many students wear out of uniform that disobey the dress code of the school.

7000 Adelphi Rd, Hyattsville, MD  20782
Last modified Northwestern High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwestern High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top