No rating

Dematha Catholic High School

Private | 9-12 | 896 students

Living in Hyattsville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $144,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted October 12, 2012

Love this for my son! He chose this school for its name sake and mission of St. John DeMatha - a crusader who believed in the most Holy Trinity and power of the spirit overcoming all. We loved this school! As a white family not originally from Maryland we were told by EVERYONE that this was an african-american sports school with a catholic name. I was concerned. Smaller population of Catholics than I had anticipated, but what is wrong with that? My son and the leaders of this school take every opportunity to promote behavior suitable to God. The non-catholic population which were overly critical and negative about the mass and catholocism quickly learned from the Catholics that although they may disagree the Catholic faith is still a religion and faith deserving of respect. Academics are WONDERFUL! Great science program, excellent math, love the electives (CADD is my fave and very unique), foreign language options are unreal, campus ministry program is wonderful, the social sciences and studies do a great job. Each of these teachers has mastered the education of GENTLEMEN! I am a single parent and this is worth the cost. But the sports are all POLITICS!

Posted June 15, 2012

I have had 2 sons graduate from DeMatha. Each was as different as night and day; the oldest is not as strong academically as the youngest, yet outgoing and sociable. Neither did the Sports thing. As African Americans, we ended up paying the full tuition ourselves, knowing that if they had been athletes, we might have been offered some help. The work ethic, tradition & academic rigors are noteworthy. The culture is a bit off-putting; it feels like a lower-end Country Club that exposes itself to minority enrollment for quota purposes. All that aside, if you can afford the pricetag & ready for intense involvement, with a serious young man who wants a good start, go check it out. Shadowing is an excellent idea, but don't just send your son. Go yourself, attend the parent association meetings, walk the campus at varying times. You'll Know whether it's the right place for your guys or not. This is one place where you really need to do YOUR homework even before your son starts doing his own!

Posted February 14, 2012

There are 38,000 high schools in America, but there is only One DeMatha. I'm an alumnus as well as a parent of two current students. We're not a sports family. It's great and fun to see your school's name prominently featured in national publications, but it isn't what's been important for our family. For those who are thinking about where to send their sons to high school, DeMatha's most important attribute is that it is a school for 950 individual students. Each student's needs - academic, social, psychological - are considered on an individual basis. Teachers, counselors - and the principal - often take significant amounts of time to work out the curricular and other needs of the individual student. The individual needs of our sons have often been considered and factored into their curricular opportunities, including permission to take classes normally reserved for higher grade levels and independent study courses. We homeschooled our sons through eighth grade, and the thing that we like most about DeMatha is how it retains much of the spirit of homeschooling - making the school fit the student rather than the student being made to fit the school.

Posted September 7, 2011

I am currently enrolled at DeMatha and love it. The all boys was the biggest drawback for me when deciding. I quickly realize how much more learning you get done here then a co ed school.Also the tution easily the best for the Catholic schools in the D.C area. It is about 13,000 wich sounds like alot until you look at the other which seem to be 20,000+ to go to. Dematha also Is the best Acadimicly Athletics Community service and religon.Don't belive me go ask someone who goes there or someone who has heard of it. It is a Catholic school so The who "gay" thing was silly considering what catholics belive. Also I have yet to see the same sex relationship here. Another thing I noticed was how well the teachers taught and helped. Before Dematha I went to A public school wich was great but was a joke compared to the acadimics to DeMmtha.Another Drawback was that it was a religon school. I also realized that long as your christan and follow simalir belifs they dont care what religon you are. The last thing that i will add is that the kids in the school are not rich spoiled kids but gentelman who will help you out anytime.Overall Dematha is Excellent and helps when you go to college/job.

Posted August 8, 2011

Dematha is horrible. Very Very racist. They just want your money. Black kids do not get the same educational opportunities as white students. You don't see this until you have to pay full tution and try to switch your son's clases. Two sons attended the school. The one weaker academically did the best at DM, but he was good at sports and was put into classes with easier teachers. If you are not in honors clases you are bette off in public school. The oldest one still had to go to prep school because he was not academically prpeared for college.

Posted April 11, 2011

DeMatha is an academically rigorous school with a top music program and strong athletics. My bright, artsy senior has enjoyed excellent teachers and a very accepting environment where racism isn't a problem and gay students are fully accepted. The academics are tailored to your son's abilities-top students here are comparable with any in the country. Less academically gifted kids are valued but are not given such challenging work. These boys are proud of their school and smile so warmly when they win another gold medal at a music festival or WCAC championship or an Ivy league acceptance letter.

Posted February 27, 2010

My husband is a graduate and our son will graduate in 2011. We have thoroughly appreciated the academic and co-curricular exposure that our son has received at DeMatha. The principal is outstanding. The facilities are expanding. The academic program provides options for students to excel academically and prepare for college. If your son is a sports enthusiast, DeMatha offers so much as an athelete and a 'fan'. Great school spirit. Great relationships with colleges and universities. We wouldn't change a thing.

Posted December 8, 2009

The value of a DeMatha education goes well beyond the 4 years spent there. I would highly suggest shadowing a current student for all prospective students, as DeMatha is not for everyone. As an alumnus, I feel particularly guarded of DeMatha's reputation beyond school walls. What many people fail to realize about our athletic reputation is the amount of work, dedication, commitment, discipline, and team building that goes into each championship banner that hangs in Wooten Gymnasium. One would be foolish to think that these skills do not translate to the classroom and later on in life. Even for students that do no participate in athletics you are challenged in the classroom by teachers and are given opportunities to pursue other interests through student clubs- same pursuit of excellence. The school's motto, 'Gentlemen and Scholars' is a lifetime commitment. Consider it carefully before stepping through those doors.

Posted November 24, 2009

DeMatha has been an amazing school for our sophomore son. He has teachers who have come from Georgetown, Harvard, Oxford and the like to teach there. They are not concerned about next weekend's game. They want their students to perform in the classroom. We attended Back to School night and wished we could attend the classes taught by some of these fascinating professors ourselves! They were amazing. DeMatha is also a brotherhood that's nurtured in the classroom, in clubs, in band, and on teams. Nearly 1/2 of all DeMatha students are in DeMatha's band/chorus. Many DM athletes are also musicians. My son's coaches expect a higher GPA from his players than the Archdiocese standards. They pray as a team and support each other tremendously. It's been a great fit for our son who is an honors student.

Posted November 6, 2009

Excellent school with excellent programs!

Posted October 29, 2009

My son went to DeMatha for his freshman year. I have to say that I was highly disappointed. The academics were below average for the amount of money you're paying. The school is focused more on sports than academics. We transferred him to a public school in Charles County and it's unbelievable how much of difference there is. We're offered a variety classes that Dematha didn't offer and the teachers care and communicate a lot more. Only send your son to DeMatha if you want them to get sports scholarship, not for academics. Its a glorified public school.

Posted October 11, 2009

incredibly dedicated teachers who expect a lot, but give plenty of support

Posted September 4, 2009

I went to DeMatha Catholic High School for 3 years. It honestly had the worst effect on my life in the worst way. I didn't learn much because most of the teachers were more concerned with what their schedules were than the well-being of the student. Having experiences like this really set my life back and I honestly regret ever stepping foot into that politically-based institution. It was a horrible experience that ended in a political decision, something I think is wrong if they are trying to prepare young men to be gentleman and scholars. I don't think the staff was being scholarly.

Posted August 2, 2009

As a student I had a great experience at DeMatha!! The teachers were great!! DeMatha prepared me for the future had in storage for me.

Posted February 6, 2009

I am the parent of a junior & a freshman. The school has had a tremendous impact on both of them. I know the experience at DeMatha will serve them will in life.

Posted January 26, 2009

I m a freshman parent and impressed. From the Open House to midway of this school year, DeMatha has been professional all along the way. E-mail and phone calls are responded timely. Daily e-mail alerts and an up-to-the-minute website mean open and effective communications. Academically, my son is challenged. They placed him in courses that were the best fit for him. There are ample opportunities for socializing with females. The sports program is awesome, offering any sport you can imagine. The music program is top notch. Superior ratings in festivals and performing all state validate this. The counseling center prepares freshmen for college, with college fairs, workshops, and scholarships information. Fellow parents are helpful and willing to share. The only area that needs improvement is Edline. It s new this year. I expect to see it used more next year. Overall, I m pleased. I believe it s worth every cent, if not more.

Posted November 29, 2008

I am proud to say that I am a DeMatha alum. After coming from a public middle school, I feel as though I grew as much as an inidividual as would have if i went to Roosevelt or Bowie. I was challenged academically by the best teachers I ever had. We take pride in our sports program but it is not the most important, it is just the most publically known because of media coverage. I am proud to say I won a wcac title myself but it wasn't the best moment of my DeMatha career. That has to go to shaking Dr. McMahan's hand as I accepted my diploma at the National Shrine. Students who push themselves (i.e. taking honors classes) will be challenged and prepared to be successful in college. As a college student, now I can say that college is easier than high school.

Posted September 12, 2008

This is one of the finest institutions for a higher learning experience for your son. The experiences that you come away with are as priceless as the education you receive. If you expect only greatness for your son, then DeMatha Catholic High School should be one of your top choices.

Posted June 1, 2008

Some of the new Freshman teachers were terrible. I was very disappointed in the education our son received. The teachers who have been there a while were fantastic. But the administration was somewhat unresponsive to problems we had... until our 4th letter and second call. My husband and family were all alumni and know many of the staff. I'm hoping next year is better

Posted April 16, 2008

I'm a parent of a student as well as an alumnus. There is no better high school anywhere.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4313 Madison Street