Hyattsville, MD

Posted October 12, 2012
Love this for my son! He chose this school for its name sake and mission of St. John DeMatha - a crusader who believed in the most Holy Trinity and power of the spirit overcoming all. We loved this school! As a white family not originally from Maryland we were told by EVERYONE that this was an african-american sports school with a catholic name. I was concerned. Smaller population of Catholics than I had anticipated, but what is wrong with that? My son and the leaders of this school take every opportunity to promote behavior suitable to God. The non-catholic population which were overly critical and negative about the mass and catholocism quickly learned from the Catholics that although they may disagree the Catholic faith is still a religion and faith deserving of respect. Academics are WONDERFUL! Great science program, excellent math, love the electives (CADD is my fave and very unique), foreign language options are unreal, campus ministry program is wonderful, the social sciences and studies do a great job. Each of these teachers has mastered the education of GENTLEMEN! I am a single parent and this is worth the cost. But the sports are all POLITICS!

Dematha Catholic High School 4

Posted June 15, 2012
I have had 2 sons graduate from DeMatha. Each was as different as night and day; the oldest is not as strong academically as the youngest, yet outgoing and sociable. Neither did the Sports thing. As African Americans, we ended up paying the full tuition ourselves, knowing that if they had been athletes, we might have been offered some help. The work ethic, tradition & academic rigors are noteworthy. The culture is a bit off-putting; it feels like a lower-end Country Club that exposes itself to minority enrollment for quota purposes. All that aside, if you can afford the pricetag & ready for intense involvement, with a serious young man who wants a good start, go check it out. Shadowing is an excellent idea, but don't just send your son. Go yourself, attend the parent association meetings, walk the campus at varying times. You'll Know whether it's the right place for your guys or not. This is one place where you really need to do YOUR homework even before your son starts doing his own!

Posted February 14, 2012
There are 38,000 high schools in America, but there is only One DeMatha. I'm an alumnus as well as a parent of two current students. We're not a sports family. It's great and fun to see your school's name prominently featured in national publications, but it isn't what's been important for our family. For those who are thinking about where to send their sons to high school, DeMatha's most important attribute is that it is a school for 950 individual students. Each student's needs - academic, social, psychological - are considered on an individual basis. Teachers, counselors - and the principal - often take significant amounts of time to work out the curricular and other needs of the individual student. The individual needs of our sons have often been considered and factored into their curricular opportunities, including permission to take classes normally reserved for higher grade levels and independent study courses. We homeschooled our sons through eighth grade, and the thing that we like most about DeMatha is how it retains much of the spirit of homeschooling - making the school fit the student rather than the student being made to fit the school.

Posted September 07, 2011
I am currently enrolled at DeMatha and love it. The all boys was the biggest drawback for me when deciding. I quickly realize how much more learning you get done here then a co ed school.Also the tution easily the best for the Catholic schools in the D.C area. It is about 13,000 wich sounds like alot until you look at the other which seem to be 20,000+ to go to. Dematha also Is the best Acadimicly Athletics Community service and religon.Don't belive me go ask someone who goes there or someone who has heard of it. It is a Catholic school so The who "gay" thing was silly considering what catholics belive. Also I have yet to see the same sex relationship here. Another thing I noticed was how well the teachers taught and helped. Before Dematha I went to A public school wich was great but was a joke compared to the acadimics to DeMmtha.Another Drawback was that it was a religon school. I also realized that long as your christan and follow simalir belifs they dont care what religon you are. The last thing that i will add is that the kids in the school are not rich spoiled kids but gentelman who will help you out anytime.Overall Dematha is Excellent and helps when you go to college/job.

Dematha Catholic High School 1

Posted August 08, 2011
Dematha is horrible. Very Very racist. They just want your money. Black kids do not get the same educational opportunities as white students. You don't see this until you have to pay full tution and try to switch your son's clases. Two sons attended the school. The one weaker academically did the best at DM, but he was good at sports and was put into classes with easier teachers. If you are not in honors clases you are bette off in public school. The oldest one still had to go to prep school because he was not academically prpeared for college.

Posted April 11, 2011
DeMatha is an academically rigorous school with a top music program and strong athletics. My bright, artsy senior has enjoyed excellent teachers and a very accepting environment where racism isn't a problem and gay students are fully accepted. The academics are tailored to your son's abilities-top students here are comparable with any in the country. Less academically gifted kids are valued but are not given such challenging work. These boys are proud of their school and smile so warmly when they win another gold medal at a music festival or WCAC championship or an Ivy league acceptance letter.

Posted April 13, 2010

Dematha Catholic High School 0

Posted February 27, 2010
My husband is a graduate and our son will graduate in 2011. We have thoroughly appreciated the academic and co-curricular exposure that our son has received at DeMatha. The principal is outstanding. The facilities are expanding. The academic program provides options for students to excel academically and prepare for college. If your son is a sports enthusiast, DeMatha offers so much as an athelete and a 'fan'. Great school spirit. Great relationships with colleges and universities. We wouldn't change a thing.

Posted January 30, 2010

Posted December 08, 2009
The value of a DeMatha education goes well beyond the 4 years spent there. I would highly suggest shadowing a current student for all prospective students, as DeMatha is not for everyone. As an alumnus, I feel particularly guarded of DeMatha's reputation beyond school walls. What many people fail to realize about our athletic reputation is the amount of work, dedication, commitment, discipline, and team building that goes into each championship banner that hangs in Wooten Gymnasium. One would be foolish to think that these skills do not translate to the classroom and later on in life. Even for students that do no participate in athletics you are challenged in the classroom by teachers and are given opportunities to pursue other interests through student clubs- same pursuit of excellence. The school's motto, 'Gentlemen and Scholars' is a lifetime commitment. Consider it carefully before stepping through those doors.

Dematha Catholic High School
4313 Madison Street, Hyattsville, MD  20781
Last modified Dematha Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Dematha Catholic High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top