No rating

Jericho Christian Academy

Private | PK-5 | 86 students

Living in Hyattsville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Posted May 29, 2014

My daughter has attended JCA for the passed 5 years, JCA's Early Childhood Development Program is awesome! The teachers and staff assistants are very knowledgeable and they truly care about your child. I must admit I was little disappointed in the Elementary Program being as my daughter was so advance going into Kindergarten from the Early Childhood Development Program. I was expecting more, but I also feel JCA is better than some public schools as well as safer environment for your child. Due to the low population student amount, JCA is more of a family environment. The negative with JCA not having a lot of students there is only one teacher per grade, but your child does get the undivided attention he or she needs. The tuition is affordable. As a parent of a child that attends JCA, I feel the school is low B average, high C. I have negatives but more positives. A Parent of a Student a JCA

Posted October 1, 2009

Jericho Christian Academy is and has always been a phenomenal school. The teachers, students and facility were second to none. The Abeka curriculum is great for the earlier grades. However, Abeka does not have enough analytical exercises which requires critical thinking. As with every school, parents must also ensure their children do more than what the school teaches (read, read, read). If you want a kid friendly, academic enriching, and godly environment, JCA is the answer!

Posted August 1, 2009

I attended Jericho from the time I was 6 until i was about 10. The teachers and administration was very good, but other than that, I cannot say anything positive about the school. The curriculum used at JCA was terrible. By the time I got into the 6th grade at Riverdale Baptist, I was completely lost. The curriculum at JCA repeats every year. It only shows the fundamentals of certain subjects and doesnt teach anything new. At Jericho, I was making straight A's. When going to Riverdale, I had to get tutoring in almost every subject with my teachers just so I could catch up with my classmates. If your child isn't doing well at Jericho, seek help immediately. Some parents may think that you can get a better education at Jericho, but I must say, I have had better education in a PG county public school.

Posted June 25, 2009

Jericho is a good school, but not progressive. JCA lacks timeliness on communication for meetings and responses to concerns. I strongly disagree with the other comments about Principal Gill...she does not return promised responses. Many agree that the prices are too high for teacher to student ratio, JCA's reputation, etc. but they want to charge the same as Riverdale (established credentials). Since enrollment is low (my assumption), in June they want to lower the tuition (but no mention of a lower price for after and before care)...that is a day late and dollar short. JCA did not listen to the parents. Good preschool program, but again, not progressive with computers, foreign language, etc. The staff needs to greet the children with eye contact, smile, maybe even help wth a coat. JCA is not competitve with other schools. Leadership should be visible and I have not seen the apostle for one meeting.

Posted May 20, 2009

I have have been a JCA parent since 2001. I have been extremely pleased with the faculty, and how my children have grown academically and intellectually, along with spiritual reinforcement. Despite financial challenges, we have sacrificed to keep our youngest two at JCA, because we were not pleased with the results the PG County school system gave for our two older children. Principal Gill is outstanding, the PTO has taken it to another level with the support they have given the school. It is a shame that the church organization does not support or see the value of continuing to invest in our youth. It is a ministry. Pure and simple. When you send missionaries to foreign countries, you don't pull the plug when the donations are down in hard times. The seed that you are sowing will reap a harvest. Are the children in our community any less valuable?

Posted May 19, 2009

My son has attended Jericho for the past 1.5 years. He started in PreK-4 and is finishing up PreK5. I cannot speak for the upper grades, but the time that my son has spent there has been great! He has learned and advanced such a great deal and has thrived in this environment. His current teacher is phenominal and genuinely cares about her students. I did not give an excellent rating due to the problems with administration. As another parent previously stated, parent involvement is not really encouraged and no one (outside of the your child's teacher) seems to hear you when you make suggestions. It seems that the church has too much authority over the school, which causes a conflict of interest between the school administrators and the bishop. I've appreciated the education that my son has received from Jericho, but he will not be attending this school next year.

Posted May 5, 2009

i am a former student of Jericho. I attended it through grades 3 - 7. I will start by saying the teachers would not teach anything important to us. These teachers were teachable at all. Once your inside those four walls you feel as if your outside learning about nothing. To end Jericho gets 3 thumbs down.

Posted January 15, 2009

First, let me start by saying that the staff at Jericho is great. Always very pleasant and helpful when needed. When my daughter attended in 2006, I was complete disappointed with the curriculum at Jericho. The curriculum was structured for every student to be on the same level. It wasn't made for students that were in advancement courses prior to going to Jericho. My daughter was taking Honors course in public school and basically had to repeat her 9th grade year because the curriculum wasn't set up for that. She was only able to take 1 advance course. If you are looking to pay for the same type of education you would get in public school with a little religion added on; then Jericho is the place for your child.

Posted January 8, 2009

I am a former student of Jericho. I attended the school from kindergarden to 8th grade. While at Jericho I had Honor Rool all year. For high school, my parents took me out and put me in Archbishop Carroll High School(great school). I was completely lost my 9th grade year. I was not prepared for anything that they were teaching us. Jericho may look fancy, but it does not prepare you for the real world

Posted August 7, 2008

My child has been attending Jericho for the past three years and I love the school because of the way the children are challenged academically. However, the staff does not keep their words. In pre-K we were supposed to have parents and teachers conference monthly, but we only had one and the others just did not happened without any notice from Deacon Taylor or the teachers. Now in elementary school I realized they do not encourage parents involvement. The staff seems to not know what's going to happen next, paper work are sent home right before the due date. My child will be attending Jericho this year and I m hoping that Mrs. Gill will do a much better job. So far she is trying to keep the school up and I realized she appreciates parents input which is a good start. I believe this school is preparing my child for the future academically, but they need to be more communication between parents and the school.

Posted June 9, 2008

This is a outstanding School, one of the best I have seen, I stand by this Academy 100%. I have had dealing with the teachers, and Ms. Gill, they have gone out of their way to help parents & students. The door is always open to a parent or student. I would tell any parent, if they are looking for a school with good academic, excellent teachers, teacher committment, goals, overall accountable to a parent: then Jericho is where you want your child. Coming from another private School, we didn't know what to expect, and I must be honest, Jericho went over and beyond what we expected for any school. The Principal & Vice Principal has made sure the leadership is on point, the involvement one on one with student and parents is something you never see anymore in any school. We thank God for Jericho!

Posted May 19, 2008

This school is a great school that has a wonderful learning environment. You can interact with teachers better and learn all you can. I am a 3.9 student that learned alot from Jericho. They have excellent teachers and staff, that will work with you if you have a problem after school. The principle is a fantastic woman that is working hard with the students and puts a smile on everyones face. Her best thing that I like her doing is 'Giving Honor Where Honor is Due'. Jericho is a outstanding place to put a child. I know I love it. The classes are great and their are many activties begin formed. Jericho is working hard to do new things such as Advance Placment classes. To this school I say 'I just love this school'.

Posted May 13, 2008

The school didnt feel like a school at all. There are no working libaries to do my studies, the kids were disrespectful, rude,mean, and many things went on that no one saw, but things happened .I only attended the school for one year and i would not recommend it to anyone.I do like the prinicipal, hopefully she can turn things around for jericho. Also i feel there were no challenges for me as an honor student. Averaging a 3.6 was nothing. Not many things were organized correctly and not many things were organized period. The school was very boring for the secondary children. Not many after school activities except for sports were provided. No honor courses, no art department, and only spanished was offered as a second language. No parent knows the school better than the child does, and no parent really knows what happens at school either!

Posted April 10, 2008

I am a parent of a 11 year old 6th grade boy at Jericho. He has been there since 3rd grade. In the past three years we have had a few issues that were resolved so all in all it is a great school. The new principal Ms. Gill has started to do fantastic things with Jericho. I am very impressed so far with her ideas and the changes she has made so quickly. We are looking forward to the next year.

Posted January 14, 2008

This school is a God-send and a blessing to my family and the community. My husband and I are parents, and our children have been enrolled since the early childhood years. We thought of leaving until we received the news that a new principal was arriving. Therefore we entered this year with great hopes for what was coming and we are still wearing our smiles because we have not been disappointed. We have silently observed the Headmasters love for the school over the years and our children have personally benefited from his dedication. I also realize that with all of the headmaster s efforts, there is still one person making final decisions over him just keep on praying.

Posted January 6, 2008

For the past couple of years, JCA has been going downhill tremendously. There is no GODly foundation in Middlle or High School level. JCA may be worse than P.G. Public Schools. I am really hurt by this because my daughter attended JCA since kindergarten. Because tuition atendance is low, they are accepting all types of students and parents just for the money to continue to flow. It is sad when you put money before education.

Posted January 4, 2008

My child attended Jericho in early childhood education section of the school when she was 3 and did great. We relocated out of the area then returned to DC and she attnded DC Public Schools for two years where she fell tremendously behind. We moved her this year back to Jericho under the new leadership of the principal, Mrs. Gill. She was behind as the school year began, however, in the first semester alone she has excelled beautifully. She is getting all A's and B's, she is involved in activities after school (Dance and Fun with Books) and her attitude toward school has changed. The classes are samll which aklows for indivdiual attention. Thank God for the administration, tearchers and staff of Jericho Christian Academy and all of their God-filled spirits and educational expertise. Please do yourself a favor and visit this school.

Posted October 10, 2007

Academic programs are ok but there are no AP classes for high schoolers. Other than sports, there are no extracurricular activities in the middle school or high school. I hope that the headmaster notes that DeMatha has many other activities for its students beyond sports. Parental involvment has never been encouraged at Jericho.

Posted September 13, 2007

Jericho Chrisitian Academy is sufficient when your child is in kindergarten through 5th grade. Definitely do not invest in middle school or high school. However, if you would like your child to learn 'Spanish' starting at K5 forget it. JCA promises and promises but nothing ever materializes. I attended all back to school nights when my child was enrolled. You would believe that you died and went to heaven once they finish promising you pie in the sky. If you expect that they will learn Spanish, forget it. All they will ever do is colors and numbers. Sad..... The principal for many years left this past school year (June 2007). She was very unfriendly and quite unapproachable.

Posted August 16, 2007

Man oh man did i love that school!! it was so great i loved the teachers and how they attended to me when i had trouble.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • CSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8500 Jericho City Drive