Bad
Good

Our child has special challenges, and all of the staff, from the Administration down, has been wonderfully supportive in working with our child and us as parents to ensure a quality education and experience is received. We have been very pleased with the support and the school atmosphere. Most of all, our child's eagerness to go to school every morning, and the smile on our child's face every day after school tells us volumes!!

Beware of OMS if your child is interested is on the above-average side. there are some wonderful teachers (this is my second child to attend) but others in key subjects debase students and there is little opportunity for interaction among students for depth of learning. FCPS talks a big game with there Highly Able Learning (HAL) program but my child, who came from magnet, has been pulled only twice this year for HAL and they did a puzzle. HAL program does nothing and any additional work is just that, additional work, not depth of learning of any sort, nothing intellectual all. My child has gone from loving school to being unstimulated in middle school with the exception of the technology expo elective. The school needs to actually do something substantial for motivated, interested learners who have the interest and ability and maturity to dig deeper.

Beware this school if you child does not exactly fit "into the box". Staff will do their best to get rid of your child. They went out of their way to manufacture incidents and crisis for my child. Administration leads the way for teachers and staff to bully students. If the bullied student has a different version of an incident then "they don't understand reality". Rather then trying to work with parents they prefer to just get rid of anyone who doesn't follow the exact norm. Punishments are biased. My student would get into trouble and watch others do the exact same thing with no repercussions. Lord forbid if your student is smarter then norm and asks challenging questions, they are then rude and disrespectful. Good parts of the school? Mr Friedman, Ms Boden and Ms Smith were awesome teachers. Education wise this school is low middle of the road. Support wise it is horrible.

This school recieves students from Oakdale Elementary, which is a level 9/10 school, and feeds into Oakdale High which is also a level 10 school. The surrounding community is beautiful and the properties are large. This school has high academic performance, and great extracurricular offerings. I am very impressed with the school and my child's pride for attending there.

Oakdale is a great school, but i wish i could have a bit more of a challenge. I went to a local private school for elementary school and I'm now in eighth grade. There is still overlap in science and history from what I have already learned, and i don't think there is a satisfactory L.A. class in the whole school as I had harder reports and a larger vocabulary leaving third grade than now. I realize this is due to county curriculum. For the most part, I love all of the teachers i have had. I love how almost anyone at this school is approachable, but it does take a little while to find your clique at the beginning of each year. Once term one is over, there is no mixing between cliques, but not any rivalries or fights. The best parts of my middle school experience are the plays in theatre and science olympiad. These are very fun activities to enhance you academically and socially. I'm enjoying the atmosphere at Oakdale, but am constantly looking for a challenge.

My son is in 7th grade at OMS. I am happy that he has adjusted socially and that the school is clean and generally positive, with some bullying. Nothing that could not be overcome. I feel he is safe there and in good hands. Academically, I have to say that I wish he was challenged more and given more homework for practice and mastery. Some of the students do not take learning seriously in class and I don't get the feeling that this is being addressed by all teachers. His grades are higher in classes that have more homework assignments and a controlled classroom. Overall, I feel good about his attending OMS, we can always supplement at home.

Math is strong (by 7th grade advanced, honors and merit level offered) but L.A after 6th grade i(6th grade was good only b/c teacher Ms.Kuhns was good) is POINTLESS, terrible, not challenging even at honors level--I have to home school L.A over summer with vocabulary etc. Science and History would be fine if they would have honors level courses and not mix in the kids who don't care and goof off with those who do care and want to learn. Best class my child has was I&I , at least the students had to THINK a bit. Extremetly mediocre education (other than math and I&I) although the students for the most part are nice and no major social problems.

I found that both my children that went through OMS struggled in the 9th grade, especially in Language Arts. On the other side, PBIS is alive and much stronger at OMS than at NMMS. Overall an average school

The staff is the best! They are kind, caring, and tough when they need to be. We couldn't ask for our children to be in better hands.

Its eduction is good and my kid loves this school

Last modified Oakdale Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.