Ijamsville, MD

Oakdale Middle School 1

Posted December 21, 2014
Beware this school if you child does not exactly fit "into the box". Staff will do their best to get rid of your child. They went out of their way to manufacture incidents and crisis for my child. Administration leads the way for teachers and staff to bully students. If the bullied student has a different version of an incident then "they don't understand reality". Rather then trying to work with parents they prefer to just get rid of anyone who doesn't follow the exact norm. Punishments are biased. My student would get into trouble and watch others do the exact same thing with no repercussions. Lord forbid if your student is smarter then norm and asks challenging questions, they are then rude and disrespectful. Good parts of the school? Mr Friedman, Ms Boden and Ms Smith were awesome teachers. Education wise this school is low middle of the road. Support wise it is horrible.

Posted May 03, 2014
This school recieves students from Oakdale Elementary, which is a level 9/10 school, and feeds into Oakdale High which is also a level 10 school. The surrounding community is beautiful and the properties are large. This school has high academic performance, and great extracurricular offerings. I am very impressed with the school and my child's pride for attending there.

Oakdale Middle School 4

Posted December 20, 2013
Oakdale is a great school, but i wish i could have a bit more of a challenge. I went to a local private school for elementary school and I'm now in eighth grade. There is still overlap in science and history from what I have already learned, and i don't think there is a satisfactory L.A. class in the whole school as I had harder reports and a larger vocabulary leaving third grade than now. I realize this is due to county curriculum. For the most part, I love all of the teachers i have had. I love how almost anyone at this school is approachable, but it does take a little while to find your clique at the beginning of each year. Once term one is over, there is no mixing between cliques, but not any rivalries or fights. The best parts of my middle school experience are the plays in theatre and science olympiad. These are very fun activities to enhance you academically and socially. I'm enjoying the atmosphere at Oakdale, but am constantly looking for a challenge.

Oakdale Middle School 4

Posted April 28, 2013
My son is in 7th grade at OMS. I am happy that he has adjusted socially and that the school is clean and generally positive, with some bullying. Nothing that could not be overcome. I feel he is safe there and in good hands. Academically, I have to say that I wish he was challenged more and given more homework for practice and mastery. Some of the students do not take learning seriously in class and I don't get the feeling that this is being addressed by all teachers. His grades are higher in classes that have more homework assignments and a controlled classroom. Overall, I feel good about his attending OMS, we can always supplement at home.

Oakdale Middle School 2

Posted April 14, 2013
Math is strong (by 7th grade advanced, honors and merit level offered) but L.A after 6th grade i(6th grade was good only b/c teacher Ms.Kuhns was good) is POINTLESS, terrible, not challenging even at honors level--I have to home school L.A over summer with vocabulary etc. Science and History would be fine if they would have honors level courses and not mix in the kids who don't care and goof off with those who do care and want to learn. Best class my child has was I&I , at least the students had to THINK a bit. Extremetly mediocre education (other than math and I&I) although the students for the most part are nice and no major social problems.

Oakdale Middle School 3

Posted July 17, 2011
I found that both my children that went through OMS struggled in the 9th grade, especially in Language Arts. On the other side, PBIS is alive and much stronger at OMS than at NMMS. Overall an average school

Posted October 12, 2010
The staff is the best! They are kind, caring, and tough when they need to be. We couldn't ask for our children to be in better hands.

Posted January 23, 2010
Its eduction is good and my kid loves this school

Posted October 19, 2009
i love it!! i go here and the teachers are really nice and th cafiteria food is edible, unlike deer crossing

Oakdale Middle School 3

Posted October 14, 2009
OMS is a very family oriented community school. The academics are average, not super challenging, but okay. Teachers seem happy; staff is pleasant to deal with. Students can be a little unwelcoming to newcomers, but it is middle school, after all. Overall, an average school.

Oakdale Middle School
9840 Old National Pk, Ijamsville, MD  21754
Last modified Oakdale Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakdale Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top