General Smallwood Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted February 20, 2014

My son dreads going to school every morning. There is a huge bullying problem at this school that is not being addressed. It was suggested to me that my son was perhaps bringing the harassment upon himself. The administration in this school needs to be changed, or educated on not victimizing the victim.

Posted February 6, 2014

The Worst I've ever seen so far...in order for my child to learn or master a skill I have to stay on the Teachers to let them know what my daughter is not picking up on....before you know it they already covering another lesson and most of the students in the class haven't grasped or mastered the concepts of the past lesson....they get NO recess, they have to be pretty much on silent time during lunch and when their not talking amongst each other the Principal or Assistance are giving speeches, yes during the only free time the children are allowed during the day....Most of the time I'm wondering if I sit in class each day would it be a difference and/or will I see better results, but if I do that who's going to pay the bills...I ought to trust my child Teacher that she is giving quality education to my child...this is NOT being done...the Principal is messy, the counselors are messy and a few teachers just don't care ...my experience for he last year has been awful...I hope things get better before they get any worst....Smallwood really need to evaluate the school and start giving the children quality education.

Posted February 5, 2014

This is a great school! My daughter always has good things to say about the teachers and principal, she loves them and her classes. I have met all of her teachers and I agree, they are amazing. She is on the Principal's Honor Roll or High Honor Roll every semester. But of course, she notices who the bad kids are and stays away from them, only associates with positive and good kids, which is a blessing. Overall, this is a really good school!

Posted August 11, 2013

General Smallwood is a good school... Your child will be good if you are involved!! The teachers were great!!

Posted July 7, 2013

This school was really good compared to Benjamin Stoddert it could of been better if they rezoned the poor to another school. I hate to say that but there were only bad kids from those neighborhoods. Other than that the environment is friendly and the teachers work hard at this school and I recommend it to parents to try it out, but please only enroll your child here if your a good parent.

Posted February 9, 2013

I have seen the kidsat General Smallwood they are not happy there and they do not like it. In my opion i think it is not school they don't like it is the people who teach the classes and the actual way they run the school. I would not recommend this school until they have corected the school and made the kids happy under circumstance's.

Posted April 28, 2010

I am thrilled to work here. I have seen great leadership from teachers and administrators alike. Parents are very supportive. We have won PBIS awards for our continued efforts to avoid matters that are harmful or unsafe in our building. We have many less occurences than most schools in our county. The students know that their principal respects them and gives them the opportunity to succeed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 7, 2009

Smallwood is a much better school that what it use to be. baisically if your child stays on the right path and away from the wrong group of kids, they should have no problems. I enjoy the attention that the teachers give the students academically. their programs are very broad.

Posted September 23, 2009

My son transitioned to Maryland June of last year. I have had the opportunity to visit with the staff, counselors and principal on a few occasions. I always receive a warm and positive reception. Ms Harris, my sons' 7th grade counselor was very encouraging, supportive and positive. The principal expressed her thoughts and made me feel that my son added value to the school. Although my son and I are far apart, I am confident that he will continue to do well.

Posted January 29, 2009

So far, this has been a great school. My son, has had one problem that was easily cleaned up by the assistant principal after the principal tried to sweep it under the rug. The only problems I have seen have been some of the children that obviously haven't been taught social skills at home. That is not the school's responsibility, but they are taking it on since some parents can't seem to raise their own children. Kudos to all the staff there for the great job they are doing. By the way, my son is a straight A child who is still challenged by the programs there.

Posted May 11, 2008

this is a great school. i attended gsms and i love it there im soo sad to leave it next year
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 2, 2007

I was very happy my daughter is now in Highschool. This was the hardest school I ever had to deal with. Though I will say the teachers there are wonderful! All I can say if your child attends this school you must be an involved parent in order to keep your sanity!

Posted February 25, 2007

Afterschool programs include archery, MESA, Destination Imagination, National Junior Honor Society, Future Educators of America, and others I'm sure I have missed. There is a walking program before school for students and parents, and the Jazz Band meets before school too. The PTO is extremely active and parents are always welcomed into the school as visitors and volunteers. The office staff are always cheerful and pleasant to deal with. There are some truly gifted teachers at this school and standards are very high.

Posted November 28, 2006

This was by far the worst school I have ever witnessed. The is a total lack or respect by the student body. The teachers work so hard but have NO SUPPORT. It was aweful and I am glad my children are out of there! There needs to be after school programs, clubs, and sports.

Posted September 6, 2006

This is a very disorganised school. There is a high teacher turn over. Strife between teachers and administrators. Some teachers and administrators are not of good quality.

Posted May 15, 2006

It a great school. I would love to go back in time and live my middle schools years again and now thry have a new look. So they are make the school better and it look better. After all those years that school has been here.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 12, 2005

My experience was terrible, not with the great teachers, but the other students. My brother also had several problems there and we ended up leaving. There were fights daily. The biggest problem is with the disciplinary system, but other than that, it is a good school.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Access to sports fields

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4990 Indian Head Hwy